Galveston...rental car return?

bluey258

i have been looking for a couple of days now.

checking here to make sure i didnt miss anything

only car return is for enterprise and they are closed on sunday and you leave keys in drop box, but they charge you till monday even if you drop car on sunday.

no other car return in galveston at all????

I have done quite a bit of research on this in deciding about transportation. It appears for us, rent a car at Hobby, drive to Galveston, stay at Holiday Inn Express & park the car for a week for almost free. Then have it when we come back. All because the transfers are more than the rental! I only need it for 3 days! Hertz & Enterprise both have places there in hotels but are closed Saturday & Sunday or We would have rented one weekend and one day.:confused: What to do!

Iv heard some trouble with parking a car and just leaving the keys for the rental. Someone could scratch the car and you're responsible. I havent heard many good things about renting a car to drive to Galveston .. unlike port canaveral where its done all the time and everyone says how they cater to cruisers and even drop you off.

I have done quite a bit of research on this in deciding about transportation. It appears for us, rent a car at Hobby, drive to Galveston, stay at Holiday Inn Express & park the car for a week for almost free. Then have it when we come back. All because the transfers are more than the rental! I only need it for 3 days! Hertz & Enterprise both have places there in hotels but are closed Saturday & Sunday or We would have rented one weekend and one day.:confused: What to do!

I also did a lot of research on car rentals. I probably should have done more research BEFORE we booked the cruise since I didn't realize how difficult it would be to rent (and return) a car for a few days.:( We're flying into Bush Int'l on Saturday and figured we'd just pick up a car and then drive to Galveston to drop it off on Sunday!! NOT!

Even with free parking for the week, it's going to cost us more for car rental so I've just ordered an airport pickup from a limo company and they will also meet us when the cruise returns.

I don't like just dropping the car off at Enterprise and then depositing the keys...I'd be worried sick that something would happen and we'd be responsible :eek: ... but that's just me.

The best I have found for transfers for 2 was $95 each way & that is without the tip and tax if there is any. Can get a Hertz for about that cost so I am going with that & have the freedom to do some things in Houston and Galveston before/after the cruise. Happy crusing!

The best I have found for transfers for 2 was $95 each way & that is without the tip and tax if there is any. Can get a Hertz for about that cost so I am going with that & have the freedom to do some things in Houston and Galveston before/after the cruise. Happy crusing!

where in galveston can you drop or pick up a car from hertz?

where in galveston can you drop or pick up a car from hertz?

I'm assuming they are keeping the car for a week, while on the cruise and leaving it at the Holiday Inn. If that's the case, I'm getting a much higher rental rate than what it would cost for transfers.

I'd love to know the answer for this too since I'm getting a higher rental rate when I check Hertz. The actual car rental isn't too bad but the taxes and fees make it more expensive than transfers.:confused:

We'd much prefer to rent a car too but from my calculations, it's cheaper just to get the airport pickup by the limo company. :)

The only rental car agency in Galveston is Enterprise, close at noon on Saturday and not open on Sunday.

When I googled car rental in Galveston, I got:

6115 Avenue L, Galveston - (409) 741-3596

Now, it appears you can return the car there but must call Hertz to do so. It is closed Sat & Sun. That is why we are going to rent for the trip. I also used a coupon I found by googling for Hertz coupons which made this affordable.

I'm assuming they are keeping the car for a week, while on the cruise and leaving it at the Holiday Inn. If that's the case, I'm getting a much higher rental rate than what it would cost for transfers.

I'd love to know the answer for this too since I'm getting a higher rental rate when I check Hertz. The actual car rental isn't too bad but the taxes and fees make it more expensive than transfers.:confused:

We'd much prefer to rent a car too but from my calculations, it's cheaper just to get the airport pickup by the limo company. :)

Houston has some of the highest car rental and hotel room taxes in the country! They are used to pay for all of those new sport stadiums - and charged to people who can't vote for the local politicians! :eek::D:p

Houston has some of the highest car rental and hotel room taxes in the country! They are used to pay for all of those new sport stadiums - and charged to people who can't vote for the local politicians! :eek::D:p

:eek:You can say that again.. the actual car rates aren't too bad but the taxes and all the other goodies they add on really kill you! Don't think I'll be booking another cruise from Galveston. I really didn't expect the ground transportation to be such a costly problem. Oh well.. we'll still enjoy our cruise and chalk it up to a lesson learned. :) We should have done our homework BEFORE we booked :o

well we decided to drive. it is a 5 to 6 hour drive.

the only reason I thought about flying was southwest had special for 100 round trip.

but when you add the crazy stuff for rental cars or transfer.

we will drive and make it a day. then spend some time exploring Galveston.

thanks everyone for your help

happy new year. Only 92 more days !!!!

well we decided to drive. it is a 5 to 6 hour drive.

the only reason I thought about flying was southwest had special for 100 round trip.

but when you add the crazy stuff for rental cars or transfer.

we will drive and make it a day. then spend some time exploring Galveston.

thanks everyone for your help

happy new year. Only 92 more days !!!!

:) Smart move! If we could drive in that amount of time, we'd definitely do it too but I think we're probably looking at about 24 hours which is what it takes us to drive to Florida :( Enjoy your cruise and Happy New Year to you too! :)

We are driving too and useing enterprise...they told us that its cheaper to keep the car an return it back where you left from. They said there is like a two hundred dollar drop fee. Just thought i would let you know what i heard.

We are driving too and useing enterprise...they told us that its cheaper to keep the car an return it back where you left from. They said there is like a two hundred dollar drop fee. Just thought i would let you know what i heard.

Thanks for that info! The problem is that we are flying into IAH but departing from Hobby so I'm thinking that's the reason I'm coming up with such high rental rates.... Even keeping the car for the week (with free parking), I still can't get anything cheaper than the Limo company pickup rates I've got. :( It would have been nice to have the use of a car the day before and after our cruise.

Ok, that's it! I'm starting a shuttle company. I live 30 miles from the cruise ship terminal and about 20 minutes from Hobby. IAH is quite a trek but I don't mind the drive. Especially since they are about to open up the beltway all the way to IAH! :D

Ok, that's it! I'm starting a shuttle company. I live 30 miles from the cruise ship terminal and about 20 minutes from Hobby. IAH is quite a trek but I don't mind the drive. Especially since they are about to open up the beltway all the way to IAH! :D

:D or a car rental agency with an office that's open on Sunday in Galveston!! You'd do great business ;)

• 2 months later...

I gues I am an idiot too. I booked for Galveston for Friday and SAt before the cruise. I have never heard of a car rental being closed on Sat or Sunday. I am also sorry we booked for Galveston. I should have stayed my but or our butts in Florida. Never had this much trouble with anything for a cruise. Someone said $200.00 drop off fee. Are you kidding me? I didn't pay that for renting a car for 5 days before our cruise even in Miami. It doesn't seem Like Galveston cares about cruisers. If this is the case , this will be our first and last cruise for the 4 of us too. We will go back to Florida. Very disappointed with Galveton already. To the guy who wants to open up a car rental, I will be your second customer. Please be open on Sat and Sunday. We wanted to go sight seeing before the cruise. If Glaveston cared about the economy in Galveston, they would offer car rentals that are open on weekends. I really am getting more discouraged everytime I read more remarks.

I gues I am an idiot too. I booked for Galveston for Friday and SAt before the cruise. I have never heard of a car rental being closed on Sat or Sunday. I am also sorry we booked for Galveston. I should have stayed my but or our butts in Florida. Never had this much trouble with anything for a cruise. Someone said $200.00 drop off fee. Are you kidding me? I didn't pay that for renting a car for 5 days before our cruise even in Miami. It doesn't seem Like Galveston cares about cruisers. If this is the case , this will be our first and last cruise for the 4 of us too. We will go back to Florida. Very disappointed with Galveton already. To the guy who wants to open up a car rental, I will be your second customer. Please be open on Sat and Sunday. We wanted to go sight seeing before the cruise. If Glaveston cared about the economy in Galveston, they would offer car rentals that are open on weekends. I really am getting more discouraged everytime I read more remarks.

Well, Princess just announced that they are coming. Carnival upgraded their ships there. There's a "rumor" that someone else is coming too. Most of the Galveston cruisers drive to the port from home (look at all the threads about the various parking lots) - so you probably won't be missed.;)

I totally understand your frustration with the Galveston car rental agencies not being open on Sunday. Our cruise from Galveston this past January ended up costing us more than if we'd sailed from Miami or one of the other Florida ports. We flew into Bush International which is approx. 1 1/2 hours drive from Galveston so ended up getting a limo pickup to and from Galveston. :( It ended up costing us more in the long run than if we'd flown and sailed from Florida.

We also found it was pretty cool in Galveston and our first few days at sea were cool too but that's to be expected in January, I guess. I only blame myself for not doing my homework prior to booking the cruise... never thought the costs to get from the airport to the port would be so high! Live and learn, I guess. :rolleyes:

To the person who said we won't be missed, we will be missed if everyone that is trying it for the first time is coming in from the East Coast or Seattle won't be coming back. We have over 50 couples in the two upcoming cruises that are all disgusted. Our other group has over 60 couples coming in from Canada and everywhere. So it doesn't look like most Galveston cruisers are driving in. I don't know where you got your attitude from. You are the first person that have been mean on this board today. If you have nothing good to say, don't bother writing back . Galveston is supposed to be hurting. If they don't help themselves, they aren't going to improve.

The City of Galveston and cruise lines have nothing to do with the rental car agencies. We are just as frustrated here by not having Enterprise open on Sunday. It has been open until noon on Saturday, unless that recently changed. We would love to see another rental agency. Contact the various agencies about adding service. This is a private business so be aware of where you should vent your frustration.

Galveston has come along way after most of us lost everything in Ike and, obviously, the cruise lines believe is us:)

Seems the only people saying mean things are those of you who don't like Galveston:rolleyes:

Galveston (the port) would not getting the contracts with the cruise lines, if it hadn't agreed to make the necessary improvements at the port to accommodate the ships.

Galveston (the port and the city) has improved its situation

to keep up with current situation.

But with the probability of 5 ships in 2012

Galveston (the port and the city) will be making many additional new changes to keep up with 5 ship issues. It will have to.

However!!!!

It is private enterprise (cruise lines, rental car agencies, etc.)

that need to keep up with current and future issues

and make the decisions for what the cruise passengers need

and accommodate them.

The Port of Galveston and the City of Galveston have postured themselves and doing its share providing the platform.

Private enterprise has to do the rest.

In addition to the Airports to Galveston transportation issues,

we need some airlines to step up to the plate and come on into Galvestion Scholes Airport.

It has just had major improvements since IKE to the intrastructure and runways.

The runways can accommodate currently aircraft

as large as a Boeing 767.

Some posters on this thread have confused the Port of Galveston and the City of Galveston with what private enterprise has to do!!!!!!!!!!!

I too did not research prior to booking our flight for Friday and late night return flight on Sunday night. We like to enjoy the ports we leave from, spending some $$ and time with the locals. I was able to find a deal with Avis for $300 for a 9-day rental. We pick the car up on Friday at the airport, leave the car at the hotel while we cruise for free, then return the car Sunday night before our flight back. I figured with the $100 one way transportation costs for a taxi/limo...I am only spending $100 more plus gas to have a car and be able to see the sights of Texas.

Archived