RCCL-Cozumel Tulum Excursions?

birdylady

Let me start by saying I am posting this on the RCCL board as I am referring exclusively to the 2 excursions offered by RCCL.

Okay, now, what I'm trying to do is decide between the two excursions that RCCL offers.

The first is the Tulum Mayan Ruins Express - CZ02. This one is 6.5 hours. This one drops you off in town so you can do some shopping before you get yourself back to the ship.

The second is the the Tulum Ruins & Beach Break - CZH5. This one is 8 hours.

If I read everything correctly, the big difference is the longer one includes a stop at a 'private beach' and they have a lunch buffet.

I know we want to do one of them. Hubby is leaning towards the longer one figuring since it includes lunch. I am leaning towards the shorter one as we are not big beach people and I would like an opportunity to do a little shopping. Plus, who wants to haul extra clothes to change out of or deal with wet clothes after the beach stop.

The prices difference is $10 so that doesn't help in the deciding factor.

We are scheduled to be in port for 9 hours total. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to squeeze in shopping and make it back to ship if we did the longer trip. Who wants to stress on vacation? Right?

Oh, one more thing. Both descriptions talk about a Mexican law about video cameras. one says $5-$8, the other says $8-$10. One says if you 'bring' the camera, the other says if you use the camera. I would think I would probably use my still camera for this type of place, but I wouldn't want to leave my video camera on the ship. A friend was there earlier this year and she said she didn't hear anything about this, but they didn't have a video camera. Anyone know anything about this?

I would love all input? To those that have taken these two different excursions, what your thoughts, questions, ideas, etc...

Thanx,

Erika

We did the Tulum express in December. BRING A HAT. It was hot and there is very little shade.

They did announce that there was a fee for using a video camera, I think it was $10. You can After the tour the ferry drops you "in town" and it is a $7 cab ride (for 2) back to the ship. There is a taxi stand just to the left outside where the ferry drops you off.

You have a couple of hours in Cozumel to shop. Some folks even walked back to the ship (3 miles).

Let me start by saying I am posting this on the RCCL board as I am referring exclusively to the 2 excursions offered by RCCL.

Okay, now, what I'm trying to do is decide between the two excursions that RCCL offers.

The first is the Tulum Mayan Ruins Express - CZ02. This one is 6.5 hours. This one drops you off in town so you can do some shopping before you get yourself back to the ship.

The second is the the Tulum Ruins & Beach Break - CZH5. This one is 8 hours.

If I read everything correctly, the big difference is the longer one includes a stop at a 'private beach' and they have a lunch buffet.

I know we want to do one of them. Hubby is leaning towards the longer one figuring since it includes lunch. I am leaning towards the shorter one as we are not big beach people and I would like an opportunity to do a little shopping. Plus, who wants to haul extra clothes to change out of or deal with wet clothes after the beach stop.

The prices difference is $10 so that doesn't help in the deciding factor.

We are scheduled to be in port for 9 hours total. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to squeeze in shopping and make it back to ship if we did the longer trip. Who wants to stress on vacation? Right?

Oh, one more thing. Both descriptions talk about a Mexican law about video cameras. one says $5-$8, the other says $8-$10. One says if you 'bring' the camera, the other says if you use the camera. I would think I would probably use my still camera for this type of place, but I wouldn't want to leave my video camera on the ship. A friend was there earlier this year and she said she didn't hear anything about this, but they didn't have a video camera. Anyone know anything about this?

I would love all input? To those that have taken these two different excursions, what your thoughts, questions, ideas, etc...

Thanx,

Erika

I did the Tulum and beach break last year off the Navigator. We were in port a bit longer so the time wasn't really a factor.

Lunch was okay, and it was a nice beach, however we went on a chilly windy rainy day, so were not able to take full advantage of them. We did not have a lot of time after to do any shopping other than at the pier. If I had beaches at other ports I would probably do the express, you could easily get something to eat in town for the $10 difference and not feel so rushed when you get back.

I am sure you have seen other Tulum posts concerning the Ferry over to the mainland, when we were there the winds got so bad they had to return us to the main dock area and pay for taxis to get us back to the ship....and even so they weren't sure about getting us in.

Tulum has been one of my favorite excursions when going to Cozumel. My wife and I have been to Cozumel 6 times and it has never been tiring going there. There is a mall at the far end of the main strip that my wife and I love to go shopping at.

The beach there at Tulum is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Mexico.

To use a video camera it will cost you $10.00. There is a booth before you enter the ruins that you can pay this fee. Also look for the iguanas that hide in the holes and cracks of the ruins. You could be getting some precious shots.

I've taken the Tulum express tour, for like you, I am not a big beach person. It turns out that the beach is adjacent to the ruins, so the extra time is simply so people can go down the hill and hang out there for awhile. The way it works is, when you get to Cozumel, they put you on a ferry over to Playa del Carmen (don't dilly-dally getting off the ship; the ferry won't wait forever), then put you on one of two buses (depending on which tour you're on) and take you down to Tulum. (They make an intermediate stop along the way to look at a craft market and use the bathroom.) Both bus-loads get the same Tulum tour; the only difference is that afterwards, one of them stays at the beach while the other heads back up to Playa del Carmen earlier.

A box lunch is provided on the bus heading down to the ruins, so don't worry about not being fed. Also, there is food available for purchase at the shopping complex by the entrance to the grounds. They will give you a bottle of water, but if you want more, I recommend bringing your own. It gets hot there, and there's not much shade, so it's a good idea to wear a hat, apply sunscreen, and have extra water.

After the tour is over, they bring you back up to Playa del Carmen and put you on the ferry back to Cozumel. It is at the port in Cozumel that you will have some time to shop (not much, but some); not at Playa del Carmen. At least, that's they way they did it when I was there.

As for the camera, I only had a still camera, and there were no restrictions whatsoever on its use. I didn't bring a video camera, as I too had heard about the extra fee and didn't want to pay it. Honestly, the only thing you'd need a video camera for is if you want to tape the tour guide's spiel. The ruins themselves are stationary buildings, so a still camera will capture them just as well as a video camera. Regardless, obviously it comes down to whatever your personal preference might be.

There is about a 7-8 minute walk from the parking lot to the entrance to the actual site of the ruins. It's on flat, level ground, and it's an easy walk. But if you don't want to do it, there is a tram available for an extra fee. Do watch your step, as there are rocks strewn about; one lady in my group tripped and fell, and had to be taken to a hospital for stitches.

It's a full day, so be prepared for that. You will have ample time to see the ruins, but don't expect much time afterwards to do more than a little shopping. Regardless, it's well worth it. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about shopping. You can buy stuff anywhere, including at your local mall back home. How often do you get to see Mayan ruins?

We did the Tulum express in December. BRING A HAT. It was hot and there is very little shade.

Thank you. Being I can get a sunburn from inside a house, I probably would have forgotten about the hat.

I did the Tulum and beach break last year off the Navigator. We were in port a bit longer so the time wasn't really a factor.

Lunch was okay, and it was a nice beach, however we went on a chilly windy rainy day, so were not able to take full advantage of them. We did not have a lot of time after to do any shopping other than at the pier. If I had beaches at other ports I would probably do the express, you could easily get something to eat in town for the $10 difference and not feel so rushed when you get back.

I am sure you have seen other Tulum posts concerning the Ferry over to the mainland, when we were there the winds got so bad they had to return us to the main dock area and pay for taxis to get us back to the ship....and even so they weren't sure about getting us in.

Good points about the other beaches. What do you mean about not being sure about getting you in? Do you mean TO the ruins? Or back?

Tulum has been one of my favorite excursions when going to Cozumel. My wife and I have been to Cozumel 6 times and it has never been tiring going there. There is a mall at the far end of the main strip that my wife and I love to go shopping at.

The beach there at Tulum is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Mexico.

To use a video camera it will cost you $10.00. There is a booth before you enter the ruins that you can pay this fee. Also look for the iguanas that hide in the holes and cracks of the ruins. You could be getting some precious shots.

All good info. Question – Do you have to go pay the $10 if you bring the video camera or only if you plan to use it? Seriously, I doubt I would record what the tour guide is telling us. Heck, we have yet to watch our wedding video. :rolleyes:

I've taken the Tulum express tour, for like you, I am not a big beach person. It turns out that the beach is adjacent to the ruins, so the extra time is simply so people can go down the hill and hang out there for awhile

A box lunch is provided on the bus heading down to the ruins, so don't worry about not being fed. Also, there is food available for purchase at the shopping complex by the entrance to the grounds. They will give you a bottle of water, but if you want more, I recommend bringing your own. It gets hot there, and there's not much shade, so it's a good idea to wear a hat, apply sunscreen, and have extra water.

After the tour is over, they bring you back up to Playa del Carmen and put you on the ferry back to Cozumel. It is at the port in Cozumel that you will have some time to shop (not much, but some); not at Playa del Carmen. At least, that's they way they did it when I was there.

As for the camera, I only had a still camera, and there were no restrictions whatsoever on its use. I didn't bring a video camera, as I too had heard about the extra fee and didn't want to pay it. Honestly, the only thing you'd need a video camera for is if you want to tape the tour guide's spiel. The ruins themselves are stationary buildings, so a still camera will capture them just as well as a video camera. Regardless, obviously it comes down to whatever your personal preference might be.

There is about a 7-8 minute walk from the parking lot to the entrance to the actual site of the ruins. It's on flat, level ground, and it's an easy walk. But if you don't want to do it, there is a tram available for an extra fee. Do watch your step, as there are rocks strewn about; one lady in my group tripped and fell, and had to be taken to a hospital for stitches.

It's a full day, so be prepared for that. You will have ample time to see the ruins, but don't expect much time afterwards to do more than a little shopping. Regardless, it's well worth it. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about shopping. You can buy stuff anywhere, including at your local mall back home. How often do you get to see Mayan ruins?

Great information. Didn’t know you get a boxed lunch. That’s great to know. It’s not like we don’t get enough food on the ship, but still, we would like a little something to hold over till dinner.

Question- Is the shopping in Playa del Carmen much different than Cozumel? I would think similar options. Oh, and I generally really only care about the silver. I’m not into all the DI, TI or T-shirt type things.

Thanx,

Erika

If you're worried about your video camera, lock it in your suitcase and leave it in your cabin...it will be fine.

As far as "wet suits and changing" after the beach....don't! Just take a dip and let the sun dry you. Slip you coverup or shorts on, and clean up when you get back to the ship. No need to do an entire change!

If you're worried about your video camera, lock it in your suitcase and leave it in your cabin...it will be fine.

Not worried about the video camera. We just don't want to pay to have it with us at the Ruins if we aren't going to use it. But we want to have it with us should we see something else en route that we might want to video. Granted, this is one of those small ones in a case smaller than most regular cameras. I guess if we don't pull it out, they probably would never know we have it. I'm not being cheap, I just hate to pay if I don't need to.

Erika

We did the Tulum/Beach break. We opted for this excursion because they got you back to the ship. We did not do the beach at the ruins. We took ride to a beach club where we had lunch and could relax and enjoy the beach.

This was in Jan 2009 so things may have changed.

The ferry ride is bumpy and some did get sick.

We were happy with our choice because we aren't shoppers.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Not worried about the video camera. We just don't want to pay to have it with us at the Ruins if we aren't going to use it. But we want to have it with us should we see something else en route that we might want to video. Granted, this is one of those small ones in a case smaller than most regular cameras. I guess if we don't pull it out, they probably would never know we have it. I'm not being cheap, I just hate to pay if I don't need to.

Erika

It's certainly understandable that you would want to have the video camera with you, "just in case." I'm sorry that I can't answer the question about whether they would charge you for having it with you, or only if you actually use it. As for things to see en route, the ferry ride is kind of scenic, and I thought Playa del Carmen was a nice-looking town. But from there down to Tulum, the view on Highway 307 is nothing much but scrubland. Personally, I didn't find it to be all that pretty. Tulum itself sits on a ridge next to the ocean, and is considerably more scenic than the journey to get there.

We had no time to do shopping in Playa del Carmen, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question about that. Like I said, it seemed like a pleasant town, so you'll probably enjoy however much time you get there.

Just did the Tulum express off Oasis last week....well actually it didn't end up being express as our bus from PDC to Tulum got a flat tire....so in the end we came back on the ferry with the Tulum/Beach Break folks. There is a VERY nice beach area at Tulum itself...swam there for about an hour..HOWEVER, this is NOT the beach that they use for the Beach Break part....that is another beach further down the road. The express will ferry you back to town and you have to get back to the ship on your own....the Tulum Beach Break will ferry you right back to the dock where the ship is....both tours go together on the same ferry going to PDC....this departs right from the ships pier. It's quite a long day....our express turned in to the same length as the beach one and in total took 9.5 hrs. The weather wasn't even that windy on the return but the seas were rough causing a very slow rocky ferry ride back ...we had to go very slow and turned into a 1.5hr ferry ride...many people getting sick...they were handing out "sick bags" like crazy....just a warning the ferry ride can be quite rough...so if you are prone to sea sickness I wouldn't go near this excursion. The supposed "rest stop" is a tourist trap gift shop:rolleyes:....the ruins themselves were nice....very well kept area....however you really need to be a bit of a history buff to really appreciate this tour with all it's travel time. I saw it once and glad I did....but will likely not do it again...just to far away. As far as the video camera.....if you don't take it out no one will ever know and you have no worries.

Question- Is the shopping in Playa del Carmen much different than Cozumel? I would think similar options.

Thanx,

Erika

There is no time for shopping in Playa del Carmen. We got back and had maybe 10 minutes before we had to board the ferry. Not sure how often they run, but wasn't going to take a chance.

There are many more places to shop in Cozumel than Playa.

The express will ferry you back to town and you have to get back to the ship on your own....the Tulum Beach Break will ferry you right back to the dock where the ship is....both tours go together on the same ferry going to PDC....this departs right from the ships pier.

The weather wasn't even that windy on the return but the seas were rough causing the very rocky ride ...we had to go very slow and turned into a 1.5hr ferry ride...many people getting sick...they were handing out "sick bags" like crazy....just a warning the ferry ride can be quite rough...so if you are prone to sea sickness I wouldn't go near this excursion.

The supposed "rest stop" is a tourist trap gift shop:rolleyes:

Apparently, my experience was not the norm. My express tour took us back to the PDC dock (well, near enough to walk to it, anyway), and we got a ferry right back to the dock next to the ship. We did not have to make our own way back. The weather was smooth, and I had no trouble whatsoever on the ferry. But like I said, apparently mine was the exception, not the rule. As for the rest stop, yeah, you could call it a tourist trap. But the vendors leave you alone, so you're free to browse (or not) as you wish.

Apparently, my experience was not the norm. My express tour took us back to the PDC dock (well, near enough to walk to it, anyway), and we got a ferry right back to the dock next to the ship. We did not have to make our own way back. The weather was smooth, and I had no trouble whatsoever on the ferry. But like I said, apparently mine was the exception, not the rule. As for the rest stop, yeah, you could call it a tourist trap. But the vendors leave you alone, so you're free to browse (or not) as you wish.

Yes....you are correct.....that was not the norm. You are also correct....the vendors didn't bother you at all...they were quite pleasant:) The tour guides were also excellent and in our case with the flat tire were in constant contact with the ship to make them aware.

Yes....you are correct.....that was not the norm. You are also correct....the vendors didn't bother you at all...they were quite pleasant:) The tour guides were also excellent and in our case with the flat tire were in constant contact with the ship to make them aware.

It kind of sounds like my experiences and bajathree's experiences in getting to and from Tulum pretty much ran to opposite extremes. To the OP, I would say that what you will experience will fall somewhere within this range, so you can decide for yourself if you're willing to give it a shot. We certainly do concur on this: the ruins themselves are well worth visiting.

I did a similar one on Disney. The beach break was at Tuluum. The box lunch was plastic cups with water, a subway turkey 1/2 sandwich and bag of chips.

There was not any time to shop on the mainland (other than at Tuluum), as there is about a 10 minute walk to/from the ferry dock to where the buses are to to down the coast. Be warned that the ferry can be rough as you approach the coast (Near Cozumel it is great). We did have time to ship in Cozumel on return..

That being said, the tour was worth every penny. I did not use a video camera. You can be sneaky...some still cameras have a video mode :rolleyes:

Good points about the other beaches. What do you mean about not being sure about getting you in? Do you mean TO the ruins? Or back?

Thanx,

Erika

like bajathree the ferry ride back to Cozumel was very rough due to the overcast and drizzle. So bad that they did not return us to the dock next to the ship outside town, but to the dock right in town - and even that was difficult to the point where they had to try it a couple of times. They actually shuttled us all back to the boat by taxi.

I will restate what others said there is really no time to shop in Playa del Carmen. we got off the ferry and walked about 5 minutes to where the busses were parked. When we got back it was the same BRISK walk to make the ferry.

Also they are correct the beach you go to is not the one at the ruins, it is at a beach "resort". The beach is a still a very nice beach, but it also means loading back on the bus and getting off the bus again.

This was my only beach chance or I would have done the express...as it was I could have done without the beach (beach in rain/drizzle/cold not so fun).

The ruins were however amazing! Be aware though that it is a bit of a ride each way.

• 4 months later...

We are doing Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean departure on 16 October and, when in Cozumel, definitely want to visit Tulum as seeing Mayan ruins is the whole reason we booked a Western Caribbean cruise. Currenly I have booked us on the Tulum Express but I'm really sitting on the fence as to whether we should book the Tulum and Beach Break. We will have our 3 children (ages 13, 10 and 6) with us and, although I know it's probably less than an ideal excursion option for children, I figure that, after two weeks at the theme parks in Orlando for them, this is something they can put up with for us!

I have booked the Express at this point based on the fact that it is not such a long day from them, although it does seem quite a drag to have to get ourselves back from Cozumel town to the ship. I was also hoping that, while at the Ruins, I could take the girls down to have a quick swim at that lovely looking beach there. Would this be possible on the Express tour?

On the Express, I understand you get a boxed lunch in the bus. On the Beach break tour, is it a lunch in a restaurant at the beach resort? Is it a nice lunch? Also, when you get back in the bus at the Ruins to drive to the beach resort, are you heading back in the direction that you came or are you in fact driving further on? I know there is a lot of driving on these excurions but I wouldn't want to put the girls through anymore driving than necessary.

Advise please :)

I highly recommend the 6.5 hour express option. Much of this time is travel. You will be at Tulum for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and for us, this was more than enough time to see the ruins and go for a swim.

For us (38 and 40 yo) the ride there and back was exhausting. We couldn't wait to be back on the ship at the end of the long day and afterwards, we wished we had never gone. We've in fact decided that we will never take excursions that require the entire day for it just wears you out. We've learned that we much prefer 2-4 hour trips that leave enough leisurely time to lazily enjoy the day and the ship.

But as many others on CC have said, we each march to the beat of a different drummer. Do what YOU want as it is YOUR vacation!

Have a great time!

We are doing Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean departure on 16 October and, when in Cozumel, definitely want to visit Tulum as seeing Mayan ruins is the whole reason we booked a Western Caribbean cruise. Currenly I have booked us on the Tulum Express but I'm really sitting on the fence as to whether we should book the Tulum and Beach Break. We will have our 3 children (ages 13, 10 and 6) with us and, although I know it's probably less than an ideal excursion option for children, I figure that, after two weeks at the theme parks in Orlando for them, this is something they can put up with for us!

I have booked the Express at this point based on the fact that it is not such a long day from them, although it does seem quite a drag to have to get ourselves back from Cozumel town to the ship. I was also hoping that, while at the Ruins, I could take the girls down to have a quick swim at that lovely looking beach there. Would this be possible on the Express tour?

On the Express, I understand you get a boxed lunch in the bus. On the Beach break tour, is it a lunch in a restaurant at the beach resort? Is it a nice lunch? Also, when you get back in the bus at the Ruins to drive to the beach resort, are you heading back in the direction that you came or are you in fact driving further on? I know there is a lot of driving on these excurions but I wouldn't want to put the girls through anymore driving than necessary.

Advise please :)

It's not cheap, but if your main goal is to see Mayan ruins, you might look into a Chichen Itza by plane excursion. The one we did left at 9:00AM and was back before 3:00PM. If you could find another couple, they could probably adjust the time to fit when you're in port.

Archived