NCL Sun vs RCL Freedom of the Seas

BeachChik

Exactly.... but as I said my (and some others those w/ kids in school) can't take off then... we can only do ones after say the 17th...

but anyways... I just think it's a little deceiving to say Princess and HAL have old folks all the time... cuz it just isn't true... Frankly, I have yet to see in on Princess... it's HAL I've seen it both ways, and being 26 yrs old, I have to say there was plenty of night life and day activities to keep me from 'getting board'.

wow, go back and read what I said, I made it clear, they do not. HAL does have an overall clinetele older than any other line while Carnival has the youngest. I am glad you have found nightlife on HAL, I will again say, that is unusual. I do not have any idea how many HAL ships you have sailed, but that has always been one of our biggest adjustments to HAL, it is the night life and the oveall age of the cruisers. BTW, our 2 favorite lines, which I have mentioned often are HAL and NCL, for totally different reasons. I don't have any idea how many cruises you have been on, but I doubt you have experienced HAL many times, if you had, regardless of how much you like them you would realize the passengers are generally older. Again, this isn't meant to be a put down, as you seem to think and HAL is a great line, but facts are facts.

Now I beleive there is nothing more to say on the subject. YOu feel HAL has lots of young 20 somethings, I disagree and we might both be wrong.

Nita

I will have to disagree on a couple of points.

First, I was on the SUN Oct. 2010 for the transatlantic crossing, and while there were older people aboard (I am 49 and traveled with a 40 and a 55 year old) we were not among the youngest. There were several young families and to be honest we barely saw any scooters and wheel chairs. As for the activites we had a great time and the crew we had were wonderful. We all had a blast, and the afternoon line dancing class was HUGE there wasn't enough room on the dance floor for everyone.

CocoaBob must not have gone out on deck 6, the SUN has a wonderful covered promenade deck that goes ALL THE WAY AROUND the ship, no getting to a dead end and having to backtrack. Three and a half times around the promenade deck will bring you to a mile. Most of the muster stations are on this deck.

OP I can't answer your question about the FOS, but honestly I don't think 65 is all that 'old' and there was plenty do on board. I happen to like the SUN, I thought the food was excellent and that I would go again in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself. I think you need to consider what your mother likes to do and her activity level. I don't think you can go wrong on either ship, cruising is what you make it. :)

We did walk everyday around the outside of Deck 6, particularly after dinner. And took the stairs so that some excess weight would not be added.

As I said, each person's opinion will be different. And as you stated, you haven't been on the Freedom of the Seas as of yet. But in my opinion they are two different ships and out of 12 cruises, it is my favorite. I may shift to another ship as our experiences will differ in the future.

Also, I did not intend to start a discussion on age. Rather, it was our impression that there was an inordinate amount of "seniors" on board compared to the prior cruises. It might have been the price as it was ridiculously low. And the time of the year with no school breaks, Further, there was more "complaining" by some of the vocal seniors than all the other cruises combined!

Having said that, each cruise is different. If you go to the other boards and review the signature blocks, you will see that many are loyal to their brands.

At this stage, I can't convince my wife to take a transatlantic as you did. I think it gives you the most value for the money. She is afraid of the ocean seas.

Again, A cruise is better than NO cruise!

Ok new question. So my hubby really isn't feeling the idea of paying more for the same room type just to be on a certain ship/cruise line.

With that said, if you had to choose a balcony on the NCL Sun or a room with just a window on the RCL Freedom, which would you go with?

I just can't seem to decide :(

Ok new question. So my hubby really isn't feeling the idea of paying more for the same room type just to be on a certain ship/cruise line.

With that said, if you had to choose a balcony on the NCL Sun or a room with just a window on the RCL Freedom, which would you go with?

I have to be totally honest here. There is no comparison between these ships. None. Freedom of the Seas is worth every penny over what you would spend on the Sun. Let's put it this way, if you went with the Sun, you will likely enjoy your cruise, but may wonder "what if I went with FOS?" If you choose FOS, the second you step on board, you will have no doubt in your mind you chose the right ship. It is just a jaw-dropping experience the first time you see that Royal Promenade or the 3 story main dining room.

FOS has Studio B - the ice rink. The ice shows they put on in there are unlike any other cruise line's, and are fantastic. They are all former Olympians and professional skaters.

I was married 3 years ago on Freedom and loved her. We are cruising for the first time on the Sun in 5 weeks so I can not give personal experience on her but have read a lot. I do have to agree that it is extremely hard to compare the two ships. If I PERSONALY were going to be traveling with a first timer I would probably do the Freedom for the WOW factor. MY husband and I (both in our 30's) prefer a more low key trip. When we go away we prefer to park it somewhere and watch the world go by. However we had to choose a ship for 25 of our closest friends and family ranging in age from 25-75 we chose Freedom as there truely is something for everyone.

Hope that helps.

hands down, a balcony on the Sun. The cabins are nice sized, the ship is great and the crew very friendly. you will not bet the ice skating experience which is awesome, but things like Promenades, huge atriums, etc do not impress me and I would never choose a ship because of something like that. I know many would and if glitz and glamour are what you are looking for than maybe you should choose FOS> It just isn't something that appeals to me when I am comparing a balcony with a standard outside cabin.

Nita

I would choose "a room with just a window on the RCL Freedom" and would not travel on the NCL Sun even for free.

One of my photos of the Freedom of the Seas:

fosw.jpg

hands down, a balcony on the Sun. The cabins are nice sized, the ship is great and the crew very friendly. you will not bet the ice skating experience which is awesome, but things like Promenades, huge atriums, etc do not impress me and I would never choose a ship because of something like that. I know many would and if glitz and glamour are what you are looking for than maybe you should choose FOS> It just isn't something that appeals to me when I am comparing a balcony with a standard outside cabin.

Nita

I gotta agree... we did Marnier of the Seas several yrs back and though I did 'try' ice skating and the promenade is neat, I wouldn't pay more for it... plus...I LOVE balcony's!

The operative word is "Elegance" for the Freedom of the Seas. Again, after sailing both of them in the same year and although the prices are important, you should balance it against with how many times you will cruise this year. The more you cruise, the more overall expense you will have.

On the other hand, the way to maximize loyalty benefits is to find the cruise line you like and try to reach their criteria to receive their OBCs and/or discounts.

We are scheduled for the FOS on their most expensive week. Not my doing. My DW a/k/a Grandma and our daughter want the grandkids to try the Freedom during Easter Break. WE could experience three separate cruises for the price, albeit, during a different time period. However, the week with family is not the same as it would be with the other cruises. So, we had to balance it!

In fact, our other daughter has a five and two year old. The five year old has now been on three cruises!!!!! I didn't go on my first cruise until I was 53 years old!

Either ship will be fine. Just pick one and go and then plan another trip for the other one. Then you can tell us what you think. :D

Ah, the old balcony question. personally, I can cruise happily without a balcony. some people won't cruise without one. I rarely take an interior cabin as they are a bit dark and cave-like to me, but other passengers book them happily, saying they sleep well in the dark rooms and/or saying they spend little time in their rooms. No right or wrong answer, just different styles and different budgets.

Have you sailed in a balcony cabin previously? If so, were you and DH out there a lot. If so, book the balcony on the Sun. I sit on the balcony some, but DH spends little time there. that's why we can do without. YMMV. If you are like us, book the cabin you can comfortably afford on the ship you want. If you plan to spend a lot of time with the other couple, you may be in public spaces most of the time. I would take that as an argument for a window cabin on the FOS. we had a forward facing window cabin on FOS's sister ship IOS-I really liked that cabin:D though it is not for those prone to seasickness or those with difficulty walking. Until final payment, you can watch the prices every day; a price drop or residency special may allow you to upgrade.

I do no mean to side

I would choose the Sun with the balcony but I prefer a smaller ship, no formal night and love freestyle. I would never use the rock climbing wall or any of the other amenities besides going to the ice show on the Freedom. I cruise to relax and disconnect from work. It all depends on where your particular interests lie. Every cruise is a great vacation. Just figure out what matters most to you and go with the line that suits you best. I will be sitting on my balcony on the Sun four weeks from now. I am sailing her again in March and then again next January after we sail the Epic to Europe in October. :) If relaxing is important you can't beat a balcony but you will enjoy either ship I am sure.

The operative word is "Elegance" for the Freedom of the Seas. Again, after sailing both of them in the same year and although the prices are important, you should balance it against with how many times you will cruise this year. The more you cruise, the more overall expense you will have.

On the other hand, the way to maximize loyalty benefits is to find the cruise line you like and try to reach their criteria to receive their OBCs and/or discounts.

We are scheduled for the FOS on their most expensive week. Not my doing. My DW a/k/a Grandma and our daughter want the grandkids to try the Freedom during Easter Break. WE could experience three separate cruises for the price, albeit, during a different time period. However, the week with family is not the same as it would be with the other cruises. So, we had to balance it!

In fact, our other daughter has a five and two year old. The five year old has now been on three cruises!!!!! I didn't go on my first cruise until I was 53 years old!

Either ship will be fine. Just pick one and go and then plan another trip for the other one. Then you can tell us what you think. :D

As much as I think pricing and itinerary are very important I agree about finding the line that best fits your needs and consentrating on that one the most. We do sail all lines, are always looking for a deal but do most of our cruising on NCL because of just what you are saying. I do believe everyone does need to experiment with all lines before making a choice.

NIta

Here is my $.02. I have cruised on RCCL, NCL, and Carnival. I have only one expereince on NCL and it was not my favorite. I thought that the " Freestyle cruising or My Time Dining " would be a great idea. I would rather go to dinner at 7 so I can get a little more out of the day on deck. I found that my time dining meant that I could pick the time that I wished to stand in line with everyone else that had the same idea as me. I HATE LINES. We went right back to RCCL and a pre programmed dinner time. BUT..... thats just me. I found the experince to be below the standards of RCCL.... again for what I look for in a cruise..... obviously it works for others very well or they would not be in business today.

In May I am going on the Freedom for the first time and looking forward to it. My kids ( 16 and 18 ) will tell you the same thing. For us RCCL RULES !

BeachChik: Something you may not have considered - have you looked into a promenade staterooom on the Freedom of the Seas? I stayed in one on the Navigator and it was great - priced like an interior, but with a picture window and window seat looking out over the beautiful promenade - great people watching!

Do be aware of the window, however. My 20-something daughter came out of the shower in a towel once to find 3 young men standing at their window and waving to her from their room across the way!!!

Here is my $.02. I have cruised on RCCL, NCL, and Carnival. I have only one expereince on NCL and it was not my favorite. I thought that the " Freestyle cruising or My Time Dining " would be a great idea. I would rather go to dinner at 7 so I can get a little more out of the day on deck. I found that my time dining meant that I could pick the time that I wished to stand in line with everyone else that had the same idea as me. I HATE LINES. We went right back to RCCL and a pre programmed dinner time. BUT..... thats just me. I found the experince to be below the standards of RCCL.... again for what I look for in a cruise..... obviously it works for others very well or they would not be in business today.

In May I am going on the Freedom for the first time and looking forward to it. My kids ( 16 and 18 ) will tell you the same thing. For us RCCL RULES !

I have to agree with you. It's just so hard to top what RCI offers, especially on their large ships like Freedom. If the Op was asking about Epic, I could see a little better comparison, but the Sun? No way. Night and day difference.

Something to be aware of with My Time Dining on RCI though, like on NCL, you could find yourself waiting in lines if you don't make reservations. If you like a 7:00 dining time, just make reservations nightly for 7 and you will avoid the lines. The biggest difference to me is the food quality. I think RCI's main dining room food is superior to NCL's.

Like what Boston said, the Promenade view staterooms are a good idea and are priced just about the same - sometimes even less than regular interiors. The downside is a few less square feet, but the large bay window and window seat are a plus.

RCL certainly has much larger array of family oriented activities. It all depends on which experience you seek. I've been on both lines and booked the Sun this time because I was able to get one of the two balcony cabins on the front of the ship, which I thought would be a cool experience (as long as wife doesn't get seasick) after enjoying several stern balconies....

As for Balcony vs Ocean View... for us, unless the Ocean View is only a few dollars more than an inside, we'll go inside as the onlly real advantage we find is being able to know if it is daytime or nighttime when you wake up.

RCL certainly has much larger array of family oriented activities. It all depends on which experience you seek. I've been on both lines and booked the Sun this time because I was able to get one of the two balcony cabins on the front of the ship, which I thought would be a cool experience (as long as wife doesn't get seasick) after enjoying several stern balconies....

As for Balcony vs Ocean View... for us, unless the Ocean View is only a few dollars more than an inside, we'll go inside as the onlly real advantage we find is being able to know if it is daytime or nighttime when you wake up.

Ah, but we use our balcony a LOT... mom gets nervous w/ lots of people... so it's great for her, and I love watching the sun rise w/ a cup of hot tea in mornings and eating lunch out on my balcony on sea days... we've seen dolphins and other wildlife from our balcony... and it's quiet... so... plus the light doesn't bother us as it does some people. So it's really what the OP likes to do...

btw.. OP let us know what you decide.

We love both NCL and RCCL. We have cruised CCL, NCL, Princess and RCCL. The NCL Jewel is the one and only ship that truly made me feel if I were on vacation. Although not the Sun, concept and implementation should be the same. We did have some observations as a couple. We are 46 and 43, married 24 years. Carnival was fun, but we had a service experience on the Fantasy that was terrible. Not an indictment of the line, but enough to put the dw off on future cruises. Princess was great with good service. Maybe the best we've seen; but, on the Ruby, for the first time in many cruises, I was ready to come back home after 6 days. Lots of early evenings and little night life unless you liked the disgusting rap music the dj played in Skywalkers. RCCL has been awesome most of the time except for a very strange and blatant method of separating you from your hard earned cash EVERY night in the Promenade. They set up tables in the middle of the "street" and made it impossible to pass without being hounded by sales people. Overall, after eight cruises, we have booked a very nice 10 day NCL Dawn vacation this December for the big 25th anniversary trip. NCL may not have the best MDR food, maybe they don't have the official formal nights, but their staff tries harder and and the fun is wherever you look. One important thing to remember on NCL. You are responsible for the fun, the Daily is sent to your room and you choose, no pushing or announcements. Just do whatever, whenever and you'll have a great time.

Thanks for the info. After some back and forth with the people we will be traveling with and looking at tons of photos and reviews we have decided to go with the Freedom. :)

I'm sure you will have lots of fun, but do keep in mind, the first timers who are going will never be able to go to a smaller ship. We took our first cruise on smaller ships and can do either (mom doesn't like the new big, big ships though) but some friends of ours first cruise was on the Mariner's sister ship... can't think of name and they can't do a small ship now... so just forewarned on that note, but have fun and give us a long review.

meg

Archived