1/1/11 just starting out

Holly2

I just asked a friend if we could meet for a walk instead of lunch. Usually everyone I know socializes over food. ( I went to an Indian buffet with another friend last week.)

Anyway, after a bit of a pause she got it and said if it wasn't walking weather, we could just have tea (no scones). It IS hard.

Rachel lynn, i know what you mean. it is almost impossible to socialize without overeating/drinking.

At least you are trying to make a change, that's positive.

I find it very hard to have the will power unless i have a 'date' with my scale in the morning;)

Hi ya'll,

Well this is my very first post on CC ever! We have just booked what will be my second cruise and my SO's first cruise ever! Yea us. Needless to say I have been on CC for weeks looking for every little bit of advice that I could find on every available topic. Lo and behold, I find this thread, the one that I need the most. I really want to lose 45lbs before we cruise in May. I have started walking with co-workers in our gym at work and will "Just Dance" with my 16yo tonight for the first time. Luckily, I'm already a water drinker (at least 100 oz a day) and co-workers and I are eating 6 small meals per day with limited carbs. Wish me luck!:)

Marnita

Welcome to Cruise Critic and this thread. I find it's super helpful to have people to be accountable to. Even though I don't know anyone here in my real life, I find it a great help to come here and post my day's issues, etc. It keeps me honest. LOL I too have a cruise in May and need to lose 43 lbs. I have 34 left to go.

I haven't posted in several days; hovering at the same weight. My treadmill broke last Monday but the guys are here now putting together my new Nordic Track. I can't wait to get back on it. It's freezing here today and we have WAY too much snow. We leave for our cruise in 3 weeks!
How's the Nordic Track? I've never done one.

Copper, do NOT worry, I fell off the wagon this weekend too. :( I am UP 1.8 pounds. I ate out every meal since we were out-of-town. While I didn't make the worst choices and left half my portion two times, my body is still not used to these types of foods! I'm hoping some of that is water weight from eating too much sodium. :mad:

I will get back to my routine and let you all know my progress in a few days. Just last week I was minus 4.4 pounds overall, and now I'm back to only minus 1! I was provided food many times last week for lunch, etc. at work, and I just felt like I had no control over having healthy options. Although, I did bring my own salad when I knew we were having pizza, so that I could supplement that lunch.... it's just REALLY hard.

I feel like when I am left alone I can cook healthy food, have lots of time to work out, etc. But when I am social and do things with people, I just become a huge mess. And that is a big problem, because I am a very social person and in order for my weight loss to be sustainable I need to learn to do both. I don't want to just become this person that runs home every night to work out and then cook a healthy dinner.

However, I just might have to "focus on myself" and become anti-social for the next few months, because otherwise I am just going to hover around the same weight, gaining and losing, etc.

What do you all think?

I think it's so hard to lose weight even when you do everything right but social situations certainly make it harder. I try to eat something before I go out so if I do eat something bad for me, at least I don't eat as much. I also carry nuts with me at all times. In a pinch they're filling.

I had a good weigh in today. I lost 3.2 lbs. last week. I think it's still some of the water weight I had from Christmas but I'll take it. I'm down 8.8 lbs. so far. I have 34 to go before May 1. I also have a cruise on June 5 so I'll get back from the May 1 cruise having done all that damage then I have another cruise. I think I need to power diet so I can lose the 34 and then some!

Hi guys and newby to this thread!

Well I am sitting in my Hotel room after a so so supper with a few colleagues[ I've been on the road for work for the last 4 days.] back home tomorrow and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Food that is provided for you by very well meaning people is ALWAYS fattening. There REALLY were NO choices for me today.

Breakfast I did well - I had 3 boiled eggs and just ate the white, a half banana and a yogurt.

Lunch was provided - it was pizza of every description , Cesar salad and gooey deserts

Supper was seafood casserole [teaming with lobster and scallops and newburge sauce!!!! OMG:eek::eek::eek:

It has been snowing like crazy - I am in a ocean front town with hurricane winds/snow blowing- there was just NO WAY I was getting a long walk in...

I am always glad to get back home from a business trip but I'm especially glad to get home so i can "get back on track" again!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the support in the last couple of days- I really needed it! XO

I got the Nordic Track T 8.0 (to replace an old treadmill). Its' great, I-Fit compatible, you can plug in your I-phone or I-pad and has that Google walk around the world feature. I walk every day before work and I am on a 6:00 a.m. train but today I'm working from home. Just did 3.5 miles, I like to get that in early in the day. We leave for our cruise in a little more than 2 weeks and have 3 more planned. If I don't exercise I feel like a slug so I get that walk in 6 days a week, normally skip it on Sunday.

Hi guys and newby to this thread!

Well I am sitting in my Hotel room after a so so supper with a few colleagues[ I've been on the road for work for the last 4 days.] back home tomorrow and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Food that is provided for you by very well meaning people is ALWAYS fattening. There REALLY were NO choices for me today.

Breakfast I did well - I had 3 boiled eggs and just ate the white, a half banana and a yogurt.

Lunch was provided - it was pizza of every description , Cesar salad and gooey deserts

Supper was seafood casserole [teaming with lobster and scallops and newburge sauce!!!! OMG:eek::eek::eek:

It has been snowing like crazy - I am in a ocean front town with hurricane winds/snow blowing- there was just NO WAY I was getting a long walk in...

I am always glad to get back home from a business trip but I'm especially glad to get home so i can "get back on track" again!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the support in the last couple of days- I really needed it! XO

You just reminded me that I'm going to NJ for business on Monday and will be eating what's provided at business lunches and company meetings. Shoot. It's very hard to diet when I take this trip 3 times a year.

Yesterday while on the treadmill at the gym I was reading an article in Reader's Digest from a doctor advocating a modified Atkins diet. I did the Atkins plan in 1999 and lost 42 lbs. in 3.5 months. I'm tempted to give it a go again and see how it goes.

Well, I think that +1.8 gain must have been from all that sodium-laden food I ate over the weekend (ate out all weekend since we we out of town). I hope I wasn't too dramatic! Yesterday I had a great food day and exercised in the evening, and I am now down 2.2 as of this morning.

Overall I'm only down 3.2 total, but that is 1.6 pounds a week so far. If I can stay on track with that rate of loss, I will be very happy in May!

I know that you aren't *supposed* to weigh yourself everyday, but I do because say, for example, my only weigh-in this week was that 1.8 pound gain. I would have been really upset and that is when I start to think "why bother" and give up. If I weigh in everyday, it keeps me on track because I know that the scale is generally going down, even if I have those weird bumps of highs and lows.

Rachel lynn, that's what keeps me from falling off the wagon...even for a day. i weigh myself in the morning (before i eat or drink anything)

There's no way i can wait a whole week-we cruise in less than 3 weeks!

Hello group - mind if I join? I started working on my weight just after New Year's. I cruise in 32 days and I'm not working to lose a certain amount before then - this is going to be a long-term plan (not a new year's resolution). I've been doing okay - down a bit over 4 pounds in 10 days. But I could sure use the support you all seem to have going here.

Patty

Welcome Patty- good for you in looking for support [ mine also comes from "SPANX!] lol. No - it's great to vent and then brag when we have success;)

Back home now and just going to get my breakfast- you've inspired me to make good choices!

Have a great day ALL!:D

Hello group - mind if I join? I started working on my weight just after New Year's. I cruise in 32 days and I'm not working to lose a certain amount before then - this is going to be a long-term plan (not a new year's resolution). I've been doing okay - down a bit over 4 pounds in 10 days. But I could sure use the support you all seem to have going here.

Patty

Hi Patty. Congrats on your success so far. I'm with you. I have much longer term goals other than my cruise but I'm using my May 1 cruise date as something to look forward to in terms of a number goal.

I too weigh myself every day but I can only enter it into my body bugg once a week so Mondays are my official days. Do you guys know the body bugg? I wear it on my arm and it tracks the calories I burn every day. It's monitored online and once a week I update weight and measurements if I have them. I like weighing every day because I'm obsessed with it but it can be emotional since my weight may go up and down based on water retention, etc.

I'm working on being one of those people that enjoys exercise and just does it as part of my everyday life but I'm not there yet. It's still something I have to make myself do. Today at the gym after I do an hour of cardio I'm thinking of doing a beginner yoga class. Mix things up. I had a trainer appt yesterday and we did measurements and it wasn't good. So I must work harder.

body bugg?? never heard of it. where can i get more info on it?

I'd be interested in hearing about it too???:confused:
A Body Bugg is a personal calorie counting device. You wear it on your left arm and it calculates the number of calories you burn in a day. You can then compare those calories to what you consume and you can then see where you have a deficit. Here's their site with FAQ. http://my.apexfitness.com/vip/bb_enrollment_info_public.php I've had mine for a year. I download from the armband every day and then I can see what activities burned the most calories for me and where I can do better. And I can better figure out how many calories I can eat because I know what I burned. It came to notoriety when the contestants on the Biggest Loser weight loss show were seen wearing them several years ago.

On average when I work out, I burn 3000 calories a day and I consume abut 1600.

A Body Bugg is a personal calorie counting device. You wear it on your left arm and it calculates the number of calories you burn in a day. You can then compare those calories to what you consume and you can then see where you have a deficit. Here's their site with FAQ. http://my.apexfitness.com/vip/bb_enrollment_info_public.php I've had mine for a year. I download from the armband every day and then I can see what activities burned the most calories for me and where I can do better. And I can better figure out how many calories I can eat because I know what I burned. It came to notoriety when the contestants on the Biggest Loser weight loss show were seen wearing them several years ago.

On average when I work out, I burn 3000 calories a day and I consume abut 1600.

I have always been interested in the body bug but wanted to find someone who has one to ask a few questions. Hope you don't mind.

What is the difference between the body bug and wearing a heart rate monitor that tracks your calorie burn? Do you have the chest strap with the body bug?

Thanks!

I have always been interested in the body bug but wanted to find someone who has one to ask a few questions. Hope you don't mind.

What is the difference between the body bug and wearing a heart rate monitor that tracks your calorie burn? Do you have the chest strap with the body bug?

Thanks!

I don't mind at all! You wear the Body Bugg on your left upper arm. I can't say what the difference is between the Body Bugg and a heart rate monitor. I've never done the heart rate monitor. But I don't know how comfortable it would be to wear that all day. There's probably some research or comparisons online between the two. I got the Body Bugg because a girlfriend had one and liked it and I'm a member at 24 Hour Fitness and they sell them. There is a monthly fee to download the data. I think it's $12.95 a month.

I like it because after I download the data I can see the calories I burn minute by minute. I can also track food on their site if I want to and I can track my goals. If you don't want to subscribe to their site, you can buy a digital read out that looks like a watch and it downloads the body bugg data directly to the watch.

Well the scale weighs less than my old one, but I don't!! Maybe it will be more accurate and sensitive to changes, but discouraging starting from a higher point (3 lbs above my current scale).

Off to visit my daughter in NYC this weekend -- hopefully walking will offset the eating. NY is a city of food

Awed by how well some of you are doing. I still have over a month so hopefully something will kick in. (Oh, and I ran my exercycle into the ground -- no longer records time, speed or calories. But I need to keep using it.)

holly2, same thing happened to me last year. got a digital scale & found out i weighed 7 lbs more than i thought. i really like the scale now but hated it then:mad:

drink lots of water & watch the sodium this weekend:)

Down another 2 pounds, but I had a few glasses of wine last night .. empty calories (but tasty, nonetheless). Just tea today - and try to stay away from weeking snacking.

Good luck with the New York weekend - wow, that would be tempting!

Just checking in. I am doing okay- not perfect, but okay this week. Exercise isn't where i want it to be but this coming week is a slower work week so i'm actually excited about being able to work out more. Oh , if there were only more hours in a day.

My sister and Mother are coming to visit tomorrow for three days [which is not usually good for the waistline!];)- but my sister has been working out too so we can go together. :D

Going to a 40th B-day party tonight - have allotted two gin and tonics and bringing along a veggie tray[ just incase there is nothing healthy to nibble on there!

Okay girls- anything I've forgotten?:rolleyes:

Archived