1/1/11 just starting out

Holly2

We are cruising 2/28/11; just came back from 4 night cruise and back to pre-cruise weight. Would love to lose even 5 pounds in next two months. I am 60 (looks awful in print); just did 20 minutes on stationary bike this am.

Would love support; never done ww or anything formal.

I'll join you. I'm 55 and am looking to lose those last 5 pounds or so. We leave in a month for a cruise and I've been home from work for the last 2 weeks; I don't feel like I over did it over the holidays and the scale doesn't show it either but I'm not sure anyone is really ever satisfied with the say they look. I'd like to turn the clock back 20 years though. My resolution this year is the cup is 1/2 full.

thanks, but actually 5 lbs is an interim goal -- I need to lose more for medical reasons.

Cate, how do we proceed? I've never done this before. Yesterday, I walked and exercised, thought I ate prudently, and gained a pound...

Hi there!

This is my second day on a healthy eating plan:D[ trying to not call it a diet].I would LOVE to loose 15 pounds in the next 50 days [that's when we cruise next]:D

I have a few things to work on. The #1 thing for me is drinking the water. If I do that I seem to feel full most of the day.

The next goal is to lower [but not cut out the carbs in my diet] and the third of course is to do SOMETHING as far as exercise EVERY DAY!!!:rolleyes:

My weight has been creeping up slowly for the past three years. Cruising hasn't helped- i've come home a couple of pounds heavier EVERY CRUISE!!!

I'm sure not going to stop cruising so I think I better start to do something about the rest of the year!:o

Thanks for your post -- realized I should be off the computer and onto the stationary bike!

Didn't gain on my last cruise -- only 4 nights but doesn't say much for the food. The first night I couldn't eat that much because I was out of practice. I tried to only eat things I REALLY enjoyed.

Off to exercise... thanks for the reminder.

I've had good results so far with the help of family (they help separate my butt from my couch) and also the website www.fatsecret.com (www.livestrong.com is another). These sites are great (free) tools for tracking calories in v. calories out based on everything you eat, drink or do in a day. I was very good at deluding myself as to how much I ate in a day and now being able to see the numbers in black-and-white on my computer or iPhone gives me instant accountability. Perhaps others of you can find it a useful tool too.

I hope to lose 30 by our cruise at the end of March. It's quite discouraging bc every time I lose, usually in the 30-50 lb range, eventually it comes back, even if it's 3 yrs later, and ALWAYS adding more than I lost. I actually need to lose 100 to be at a normal height/body build/weight ratio, so this is prob not the thread for me, but since it was labeled "just starting", I thought I'd pop in. I'm thinking of buying the book Made to Crave or at least checking out the website as I've heard it's very good.

Two of the four women at our table on Constellation had lost 100 pounds. So it can be done! good luck.

It sure can! I've lost over 100lbs since my son was born, nearly 80 of that with Nutrisystem. I find that holding myself accountable really helps. I write a blog about my weight loss journey at http://stomach-rumblings.blogspot.com and knowing that I have to be honest there makes it easy to turn down things that won't help me lose weight.

We're starting a 6 week challenge today, come join us if you like!

I actually lost about 100 pounds over 30 years ago and kept it off all this time, so, yes, it can be done! When I remarried 13 years ago I gained the dreaded 20 pounds and have taken them off but it's up and down. I am within 5-10 pounds now of where I want to be. I get up at 4 a.m. every day and do about 3 miles on the treadmill before I leave for the 6:00 train. I bring my breakfast and lunch most days; don't get home until close to 7:00 at night so when I get home I'm not up for exercise, thus early up to get it out of the way. I don't eat meat (my husband does) so most days I'm doing multiple dinners but he's pretty easy and eats what I give him. Back to work tomorrow and not looking forward to it at all:( but it will get me back to my regular routine. Also, I only weigh in every other week so I don't focus on the ups and downs.

thanks, but actually 5 lbs is an interim goal -- I need to lose more for medical reasons.

Cate, how do we proceed? I've never done this before. Yesterday, I walked and exercised, thought I ate prudently, and gained a pound...

Maybe check in daily, include successes and failures? Walk done (2+ miles) getting ready for work. Breakfast, when I get to work will be oatmeal, I made vegetarian chili over the weekend so I'm bringing that for lunch. Dinner, unsure, will check in with my husband later today and see what he wants. Will check back later, I'm sure you are all still asleep. Getting ready to jump in the shower and then go for the 6:00 train.

Hi all, I have been doing Atkins since August. Took one month off in October. I have lost a total of 26 pounds and have about 45 more to go. I am cruising to Hawaii Feb, 26 and hoping to lose 10-12 more pounds before then. Good luck to everyone and happy new year!

Cindy

Cate, we are clearly on different schedules. I just finished work. The idea of running at that hour blows me away.

I'm trying to build up my time on the bike and had a yoga class today. Don't think I can eat much better (at least during the day) so need to up the exercise.

So far today had Special K, coffee with fat free milk, a yogurt, a clementine and soup. My eating downfall is when I can't sleep and raid the kitchen -- I'm tired and have no self control. Maybe I should just knock myself out :).

Thank you all for your encouragement. My scale seems to be stuck..

Holly, I'm getting ready to leave for the train, exercise done. Yesterday was a very difficult day, had two cookies last night but other than that it was a good day. Looks like you had a really good day yesterday. I wish it was as easy as it was 30 years ago, everything is harder. Have a good day all.

I've never joined anything like this before, but i will give it a try. we cruise in feb & i need to lose 10 lbs to get back into my cruise clothes! i refuse to go out & buy new ones.

i try to use my eliptical every morning before getting ready for work. 20 min.

i joined an indoor walking club 2 days ago, walked for 55 min. this is only open twice a week, so on the off days I try to walk on my lunch breaks for 30 min.

i'm reducing my carbs, and trying to drink more water.

the scale says the same today as it did when i started last monday :(

Good luck to all of you,

Tammy

Welcome, Tammy. I'm a newbie also. Did 30 minutes on the stationary bike today; also increasing water. Had a check up today and my weight was higher than what I thought. Guess I can't expect results overnight (but I would like them!)

When I get discouraged, I'm inclined to say why bother and eat whatever I want. Know it is self defeating -- I too have a formal dress I'd like to be able to zip.

I was glad to see a thread started for this new year.

We will be sailing March 20 and I would like to lose all that I can by then. My ultimate goal is to lose 30 more lbs. I have already lost 35lbs by using nutrisystem and regular exercise.

I no longer use nutrisystem but it taught me about portion control and how to properly nourish my body without being hungry. I never knew there were foods you can eat an unlimited amount of.

I am 49 and my husband is 55. He has lost 75lbs. We are doing this together.

I wish everyone on the thread good luck on their weight loss. Thankfully this is an endeavor in which we make our own luck. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Day 6 of my healthy eating plan/diet. Not cheating yet![ big success for me] Water intake is up and back to Zumba classes last night and another today!

Sure hope I can keep this up:o - NO , I WILL keep this up!:D

It's a gorgeous sunny / freezing day today. Can't wait till it's a sunny/ hot day on our next Cruise!

Get out there and enjoy!

Last evening, went for a 45 min walk indoors. (we live in Ontario so it's cold out) used my eliptical this morning 20 min. got on the scale & lost 1/2 lb since monday. guess that's better than nothing. now i will faithfully exercise everyday & see if i can keep this going in the right direction. only 30 days before we cruise!

Thanks for the welcome!

I'd like to join you all for the New Year, if that's ok. I don't have any cruises planned, but am hoping to book something for the Holidays at the end of the year.

My goal is to shed 35 pounds before May. I'm tracking my calories on Livestrong.com (The Daily Plate). It's free and I think it actually has more food entered into the database that WW did! I'm mostly sticking with whole foods, vegetables, fruits, chicken, nuts, cheese, etc. and cutting out a lot of processed stuff.

I'm also trying to exercise on the elliptical for 30 minutes most days, and on other days, lift some light weights. I find that really revs up my metabolism.

Good luck everyone on your journey! So far,'I'm down 2 pounds, but that might be mostly water weight from sodium-laden foods over the holidays...

this reminds me of the smokers hotline my husband used a couple years ago to stay off the smokes :)

only it's me this time, trying to eat healthy & lose the extra pounds. it's hard after christmas when there's still candies & snacks in the house.

so far today, eliptical 20 min, walk at lunch 30 min, and no sweets or extra carbs!

can't get it to budge. Will keep on exercising -- think I need to get up to closer to an hour from 30 minutes. The good thing is I try to make sure I've exercised before I post to this thread. (Will try using weights also).

Thanks all.

Archived