Inside cabins

FINGERS FONDUE

My wife and i have recently returned from 23 day cruise on arcadia in a balcony stateroom

this was our first cruise

we both enjoyed the arcadia so much we want to go again this year however as with most people money is tight so what are inside cabins really like compared to balcony cabins we would like to go for atleast 24 days plus

My wife and i have recently returned from 23 day cruise on arcadia in a balcony stateroom

we both enjoyed the arcadia so much we want to go again this year however as with most people money is tight so what are inside cabins really like compared to balcony cabins we would like to go for atleast 24 days plus

Once you have drawn the curtains in an outside cabin, be it with balcony or not, you are in an inside cabin.

However, having been in a balcony cabin, could YOU live without the opportunity to get out of bed, draw the curtains and the door back and step out into your own little bit of private balcony and look at the new view?

Your own bit of private area for sunbathing/relaxing/contemplating?

Is the difference between inside and outside THAT important/impossible to you?

Having been inside, outside with porthole, outside with a window and balcony cabins. If the budget was of concern and given most cabins are comparable in size and amenities irrespective of location, we would book an inside. I would see no point now in paying extra for the limited advantage of a window.

cb

I guess it depends on how much you used your balcony on your last cruise. If you enjoyed sitting out then you will miss that aspect of your cruise. If you hardly spent any time out there, you won't miss it too much.

The inside cabin is a lot smaller than a balcony too (even with 'the curtains closed') Having no natural light you won't know if its 'day or night' when in there, and at night it is obviously pitch dark, some suggest you leave the shaver light on in the bathroom and leave the door open for some light at night. Or take a torch or battery night-light,or even leave the tv channel on the webcam so you can see what the weather is like, if its light, if you have arrived in ort etc.

If you are the sort of person who doesn't spend much time in your cabin you may like it, as I would only want to sleep or get ready for dinner/breakfast in one, but as you know with a balcony cabin it is somewhere to escape too for some private space with your own sea view .Only you can decide rally if its for you ;)

We've never tried an inside cabin yet, but it's certainly a cheap option. We have friends who always get an inside cabin as they say that the money saved would pay for another cruise.

Balcony cabins differ a bit. We had a balcony on Queen Victoria and it was much bigger than that on Aurora, but because it was December and in Northern Europe, we hardly used it because we always arrived at ports and left again in the dark . On our Aurora cruise to Arctic regions, the balcony was not much use for sunbathing as it was a bit too small, but we used it a lot, just for viewing the amazing scenery in the long hours of daylight.

I think I would always want a view of some sort, but might consider an inside cabin on a short Winter cruise.

We had a balcony cabin on the oceana in october at a cost of £4600 on the cruise we met some new friends who were in an inside cabin at a cost of £1900 their cabin was twice the size of ours which made us realise a balcony cabin is not needed as we spend so much time out on deck,also almost every deck is a huge balcony so to us its pointless paying all the extra for whayt you get.Of course its great in an evening with a glass of wine sitting out but so was sitting on the promanade deck free of cxharge,whatever you choose enjoy.

We have had an inside cabin on Azura. it was just fine. As soon as you wake up, just put the tv on to the channel that shows the view from the bow. simple. Personally, I wouldn't pay for a balcony, I don't spend any time in my cabin. I like to be out and about on the ship. We have an inside booked for arcadia next.

When we went on Ventura, we had an inside cabin. We met some friends who had a balcony and it was virtually the same size cabin - just a bit of outside space. One thing to bear in mind, our friends found they couldn't use their balcony much because there were people smoking outside on theirs and the smoke travels!!!

When we went on Ventura, we had an inside cabin. We met some friends who had a balcony and it was virtually the same size cabin - just a bit of outside space. One thing to bear in mind, our friends found they couldn't use their balcony much because there were people smoking outside on theirs and the smoke travels!!!

That is the biggest downside of a balcony. The obnoxious weed's fumes polluting your balcony :mad:

I still say there should be a dedicated room built into the funnel for the cancer stick addicts :)

Mike

Arcadia inside cabin 170 sq feet

Arcadia balcony inc balcony 254 sq feet.

for photos of both,click link;

http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Ships/Arcadia/Ship-Staterooms/

The poster knows the benefits of a balcony as they have had one - smokers next to them or not and wants to know about inside cabins.

I agree with Jean, if I had a inside , I wouldn't spend much time in it either....I would however spend a bit more time in a balcony cabin, which is more roomy, airy and has access to private views and hopefully fresh air. I also agree you can have more cruises in a inside than having a balcony which can work out twice as expensive....it depends really if you want more cruises, or more luxury and less cruises. Only the poster who started the thread can make that decision but as I said before 20+ nights in a inside cabin or no cruise atall as balcony cabin out of price-range, then yep, go and have a inside cabin and enjoy:D

We always choose an inside cabin, as low down and as central as possible, we were once upgraded to an outside cabin due to a water leak and quite frankly we were not too keen on it due to the dawn light coming through the window. We both prefer the "cave like" feeling of an inside cabin and as a light sleeper the darkness and gentle motion of the ship soon sends me off to sleep, perhaps helped by visits to the bar! Look at the deck plans and allow for the balcony space being included in the area of the cabin, on a recent Alaskan cruise (Golden Princess) some inside cabins were about twice the size of balcony cabins. Also the views, remember you can only see to one side in a cabin, but on deck you can see what you want, also as for sitting in the sun, it depends on what side you are. So we sleep cheap and often eat in the themed restaurants where you pay a surcharge. Just something for you to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the replys posted by my fellow critics

Mrs Fondue (VANILLA) has made our descision and has decided we are going Cunard

steerage class (are we let out in daylight hrs ??) Queen Elizabeth in Sept New England and Canada (Any tips and hints or even places to visit very welcome )

We like fresh air to inflitrate our cabin not just the recycled air con stuff.

We also use our balcony a great deal, whatever the climate. Nothing better than viewing icebergs, early in the morning, on a Greenland cruise with a hot cuppa in hand OR sailing into an idyllic Caribbean island with a chilled Bucks Fizz!!

However, the decision is personal and must be based on your priorities and requirements.

Arcadia inside cabin 170 sq feet

Arcadia balcony inc balcony 254 sq feet.

But that's including the balcony Sue - the actual cabin sizes aren't much different if at all!

Having had both inside, outside and balcony I have to admit, given the choice I would opt for outside without balcony, but if more cruises mean an inside cabin then that wins every time. After all - how much time do you spend in a cabin?

Just returned from 28 days on Azura in an inside. Having only had outside before we found waking up , not knowing whether it was day or night,quite uncomfortable. Both decided would do inside if only on short trip but not for a longer trip.

Archived