Santorini or Mykonos

Monty'sMomandDad

There are pluses and minueses to both. Most people think Santorini is the "poster" Greek island. However, it is too often overrun with cruise ship passengers as it is very popular, which can overwhelm the transportation options.

Santorini is a tender port, versus Mykonos, where ships may dock or tender. And once you tender, you also have to line up for the cable car to the top of the cliff (or walk up, or take a donkey). This can be time consuming and also difficult for anyone with mobility issues. Once at the top of the cliff, you are in Thira, and you still need to get to Oia for the most scenic views (e.g., the ones you see on postcards). Of course, you can take a ship tour, but you will still have to tender, face huge crowds in the small towns, and usually you will still have to take the cable car down the cliff at the end of the day.

Mykonos does not have the soaring views of Santorini, but it is very easy to walk around Mykonos Town on your own and see the sights, such as the windmills, and enjoy the whitewashed houses and maze of old streets. It generally is not as crowded as Santorini. It has some nice beaches that can be accessed either by public bus or taxi, if that's what you're interested in doing. Also, you can visit Delos, a small island near Mykonos that was historically a sacred sanctuary to Apollo and has some wonderful ruins and a small museum.

So, I wouldn't get too upset over the change. Both offer a very pleasant "Greek isle" experience.

Mykonos was a stop on our Med cruise this past summer. I booked ship/private excursions on most ports but found that Mykonos was a great port to just wander around and explore on your own. We walked along many of the streets, visited the windmills on our own time with no real rush to be anywhere. I found it very refreshing after some of the very long port tours (Florence and Rome come to mind.) We enjoyed the calm relaxing time in this port.

Just found out we will be stopping in Mykonos instead of Santorini on our RCCL May cruise. How much of a difference is there and what is your preference? Thanks.

Cynthia has given you an excellent summary. Both are excellent islands with their own special differences and pluses. Below are some visual samples for what is there to see and do in Mykonos.

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST' date=' scroll back[/b'] through all of the earlier postings on this Greece board. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,745 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of its charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Ladies departing a church service in main Mykonos on a Sunday:

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Here are a couple of visual samples on the opposite side from the Mykonos village for various beachside activities:

MykBeachWalking.jpg

MykBeachHuts.jpg

Just found out we will be stopping in Mykonos instead of Santorini on our RCCL May cruise. How much of a difference is there and what is your preference? Thanks:(

We did both on the Norweigan Gem in July. Both islands are super. I give Santorini a 9 out of 10, with Mykonos an 8 out of 10. Mykonos is primarily a beach resort island, but the Mykonos city is very charming. Also, you can go to Delos, a great archelogical site.

Santorini is one of those places in the world that is special. The islands there are what remains of a huge volcanic explosion that took place 3500 years ago. The vistas are unparallel. If you can eventually get back to Santorini, do so, however, Mykonos is still great.

Terry, Thank you for the wonderful pictures.!! Will be on both islands next Sept.:D Now,I just have to figure out how many ships in port and how many thousands of cruisers will be walking those same charming streets with me on the two port days.

Just found out we will be stopping in Mykonos instead of Santorini on our RCCL May cruise. How much of a difference is there and what is your preference? Thanks:(

Really loved them both and probably wouldn't be disappointed to be at one rather than the other. We were on a four night, six port Louis cruise, so our stops were relatively brief. As a result, we generally just enjoyed the local area on our own.

Both require some sort of transportation from the dock to the town. As an earlier poster mentioned, Santorini has the spectacular views, but they require a cable-car (or donkey, if you're brave) ride up the side of a cliff. We wandered around the town at the top of the cliff, took pictures, bought a few t-shirts, etc. and then returned to the dock to board our ship.

Mykonos requires a brief bus trip (I think they charged us 3 Euros each way) from the dock to the town. It is walkable (maybe 2 miles), but it is a narrow road with no sidewalk. It didn't make a ton of sense to waste a chunk of our port time on that walk.

Mykonos has a great town, lots of shops and restaurants, as well as the photogenic windmills. Neither requires a paid "excursion" and I'd go back to both tomorrow if I could.

Terry, Thank you for the wonderful pictures.!! Will be on both islands next Sept. Now,I just have to figure out how many ships in port and how many thousands of cruisers will be walking those same charming streets with me on the two port days.

Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures. It's great you will be visiting BOTH Mykonos and Santorini. What are your dates you will be there and where else will you be stopping on this cruise?

Here are a few more "previews" to get you excited about Mykonos and the Greek Isles. Much to see and love there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Housing up the hillside near Mykonos:

1A-Myk-Village-Shore.jpg

The famed windmills overlooking Mykonos:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

On Mykonos, here is a sampling of harbor, boats, blue and red church domes, etc., views. Lots of charm and character on this great Greek Island.:

MykonosHarborBoats2.jpg

MykonosDualDomesRedBlue.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Love your pictures, Terry.

We enjoyed both Santorini and Mykonos. On our Gem cruise last July we were in Santorini twice due to the general strike in Athens. We spent much time in Oia on our first trip there and it was amazing. The 2nd time around we just stayed in Thira and it was great, very relaxing.

When we were in Mykonos, we went to Delos on our own. It was easy for us because we tendered into Mykonos and the ferry to Delos was right there. We had a fun day at Delos, walking around using the map they provided. Make sure you have a glass of their fresh-squeezed orange juice, refreshing on a hot summer day. After Delos we spent our afternoon walking around Mykonos while getting lost a couple of times. Would go back to either places any time!

Love your pictures, Terry. We enjoyed both Santorini and Mykonos. On our Gem cruise last July we were in Santorini twice due to the general strike in Athens. We spent much time in Oia on our first trip there and it was amazing. The 2nd time around we just stayed in Thira and it was great, very relaxing. When we were in Mykonos, we went to Delos on our own. It was easy for us because we tendered into Mykonos and the ferry to Delos was right there. We had a fun day at Delos, walking around using the map they provided. Make sure you have a glass of their fresh-squeezed orange juice, refreshing on a hot summer day. After Delos we spent our afternoon walking around Mykonos while getting lost a couple of times. Would go back to either places any time!

THANKS for the kind comments on the pictures. It's been fun sharing! Despite the strike in Athens, glad to hear that things worked out OK for you. It hard to know how all of those economic "tensions" will work out in Athens and Greece during the coming Spring, Summer and Fall. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,950 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, I am really looking forward to our stop in Mykonos. I would be up for a walk through the town and also some beach time especially the one in your photo with the palapas and lounge chairs:). Wading into the beautiful clear blue water of the sea is on my list of things to do there. We will be in Mykonos from 7am to 6pm. We will have been to Santorini the day before same port hours(7am to 6pm.) We will be on a 10 day cruise on the Celebrity Exquinox Sept 9-Sept 19,2011 out of Civitavecchia, Italy. Other ports are Sicily, Athens, Ephesus, Rhodes, the two Gr. islands, and last ,Naples/Capri.

I am now working through doing research for these ports and helping our group of four decide if we do tours or do it yourself port days. We will do some of both. We were on an Western Med. cruise in 2008 and loved it.

Any other iInformation on these ports would be helpful.

Sorry I did not reply sooner but just got back from Huatulco Mexico on a winter getaway.

Any other information on these ports would be helpful.

Hello Azulann

There's information for 4 of your ports on these videos :

EPHESUS - the famous site, including the Grand Theatre, Celsus Library and inside the Terraced Houses.

ATHENS - The Acropolis and a stroll around the State Agora.

SICILY (Messina) - The Piazza del Duomo and the famous 'show' at noon, plus a look at the Stromboli, a.k.a. the Lighthouse of the Mediterranean on the return to our embarkation port of Civitivecchia.

SANTORINI - Caldera views, Donkeys, Perissa Beach and the Volcano and Hot Springs tour.

All the best, Tony

Tony, Your videos were so helpful. In Messina, did you just go it on your own into town? I loved the clock, but know it only rings at noon? We are thinking of doing a half day tour from the ship and walking around Messina.

Athens looks like alot of walking. We will be there on a Monday so the new museum will be closed. I will defintely need a hat.

Ephesus will be a private tour day for sure.

Santorini, I love the beach there too. I don't think the donkeys look as bad as people have said. Did you ride one up or down? I would do it if it helps the men who have that concession.

Again, I love your help and all those on CC who share in their knowledge of the cruise ports. Thanks again

Patti

Tony, Your videos were so helpful. In Messina, did you just go it on your own into town? I loved the clock, but know it only rings at noon? We are thinking of doing a half day tour from the ship and walking around Messina.

Athens looks like alot of walking. We will be there on a Monday so the new museum will be closed. I will defintely need a hat.

Ephesus will be a private tour day for sure.

Santorini, I love the beach there too. I don't think the donkeys look as bad as people have said. Did you ride one up or down? I would do it if it helps the men who have that concession.

Again, I love your help and all those on CC who share in their knowledge of the cruise ports. Thanks again

Patti

Hello Patti

At Messina we just did our own thing. All that you see in the video is to be found about 200 yards from where the ship docks. Our Messina activity was compromised by several factors. We only had a short day there (leaving at 15.00) and it was the last port of a superb but fairly port-intensive cruise which also visited Dubrovnik

Corfu
and the Ancient Sanctuary of Olympia
so we'd seen a lot (with young kids in tow) in the searing heat of July and collectively didn't fancy a quick dash to Etna or Taormina and settled for a leisurely stroll around Messina. In different circumstances, with more time like you have, we would have done more. The 'clock show' only happens at noon each day so if you want to see it make sure you're at the Piazza at around 11.55

On this summer's cruise I am going to Palermo and will make a video from there (hopefully not upsetting the Mafia :eek:)

Athens is a fair amount of walking but the Acropolis area is reasonably compact and you do it all at your own pace. The NAM is superlative but the good news is that not going there will free up time for something equally good as there's far more to see in Athens than can ever be done in a day. It would be good going to properly see everything on your Acropolis ticket, I certainly didn't.

Ehpsesus - the video shows a half-day tour. Entrance to the Terraced Houses was 8 Euros in July 2009. We only went to the Temple of Artemis because my mum is called Diana and she wanted to go there as the Ephesians Goddess Artemis was sometimes called Diana. What you see is it - there's nothing else. It was only a 5 minute detour on the return to port but if time is tight you might want to skip this one.

Santorini - I went up by cable car (5 Euros ?) and part of that goes to the donkey owners. Walking down is easy but allow 20-25 minutes for this as the steps are polished stone and slippery even when not wet so you can't really run down them to save time if you need to get the last tender back to ship. The donkeys are no problem, they totally ignore walkers. That Volcano and Hot (actually warm) Springs tour takes exactly 3 hours and cost 20 Euros. Bizarrely this splits as 18 for the boat transport and 2 to go into the volcano.

You have a terrific mix of culture and relaxation on your itinerary, with the chance of a day in Pompeii or Capri to finish. Good luck with the planning.

• 8 months later...
TLCohio

Thanks for your awesome photos, I loved the way you captured the lifestyle. I forwarded the photos on to our friends who will be cruising with us in Oct.

ok-now we are doubly excited to visit mykonos and self-tour

your photos are spectacular!

did you get to Delos too?

also going to Santorini-guess we are also doubly lucky!

thanks

Archived