PRICING CHANGE - Past guest pricing, stopped on the 31st

bwatson

PRICING CHANGE - Past guest pricing, stopped on the 31st

I had been planning a trip for a bit but had not made the reservation yet while I waited for a co-traveler to firm up their time off. I just learned today that the pricing I was “given” was past guest pricing and it is no longer offered for our cruise. I was told earlier that the pricing I was looking at was not past quest OR any promotion that past quests get a lower price. So you can tell I am now very surprised and now the cost has risen by $100. I did not make a reservation as I was going to today and now apart from being surprised I am pissed.

I even called them a few days ago to ask about a promotion I saw but they said I would need to travel in the Fall to get that promotion so we agreed it did not apply to the April 4th 10 day I was looking at to the Caribbean and they made no mention what I was looking at was itself promotional pricing

I called them back again tonight to see if they would reconsider providing the earlier pricing and they could not.

Reminds you these guys do not care about the people, it is all about the $.

ANYONE HAVE SIMILAR STORY???

Brian

While I feel your pain, it is not unusual for any cruise line to change their prices and promotions. Sometimes we have lucked out by waiting, other times it has cost us. Now I book it, and watch the prices. If it goes down, I cancel and rebook until final payment.

Even if it wasn't past guest pricing, it could change any day. I don't know why you're surprised. I have learned not to wait even a few hours for anything that I think is a great deal, be it car, hotel, air, cruise...whatever. If I wait and I am disappointed, well, that's the way it goes.

I'm sorry, though, that you had to learn the hard way. If it's any consolation, the cruise I was looking at for next fall changed by $500/person, and I don't mean down. We were traveling and just didn't have the time to look into it. 2 days later we got home, called, and :(.

I sorry that you are disappointed, but this is not the cruiseline or any TA's fault. Prices change constantly on cruises. If you see a price you're happy with it's always best to put down your deposit to ensure that price. There is usually no penalty (depending on the TA you use) for changing cruises before final payment, and most will honor any price drops as well.

Take it as a lesson learned, but also realize that the fault is yours alone. Sorry.

Brian, The final payment due date for that cruise should be somewhere around January 19th so why not wait now and see if they offer a flash fare? I have seen some cruiser's post that their cruise went way down after final payment so maybe you will luck out and save some money. Just saying if you friend couldn't make up their mind by now, why not wait a few more weeks and see what happens.

Prices in every business can vary day to day. It is all about the timing. While I'm glad the OP shared their experience with us, it would be

nice to see a first time poster who had something positive to say rather than negative. If I were the OP I would book that cruise now and hope the price comes back down!

When we were looking at our upcoming Panama Canal cruise there was a $450 price drop when I signed in, that was per person. I phoned Princess to see if they had any idea how long it was going to run for because I really wanted to buy Future Cruise Credits on our cruise that we were going on in 3 weeks. I was told, they have absolutely no idea... they can be specials for the next 10 cabins, the next 100 cabins, for the next 10 days, until the end of the month, they really had no idea when it would change. We booked and saved $900 on the booking. You just can't depend on those specials still being available when you're ready. I had to giveup $150 in OBC as my husband didn't currently have an FCC in his name but for that savings, it was worth it.

It's unfortunate that you learned this lesson but if you are quoted a price one day, it isn't guaranteed if you wait to book it later. Prices go up and down, depending on the cruise.

My suggestion is to find a good TA who offers discount pricing and see if you can get a better price. You can always do better than the Princess price. I haven't paid attention to the past passenger rate for years as it's meaningless since I can do so much better.

I haven't paid attention to the past passenger rate for years as it's meaningless since I can do so much better.

Ditto! When you can receive a very nice discount (over Princess Pricing_ when booking through a good discount travel agent, it saves a whole lot more than $100. ;)

We are not allowed to name TA's, but with a little effort on your part, I'm sure you can figure it out and do some "on-line" shopping. Google or Bing "cruise travel agents" and I'm sure it will get you going. There are a ton of on-line companies...many advertise here. It will just a bit of "leg work", but it's not difficult. Good luck. And remember...if you find something you like, go ahead and book it. With Princess you can always cancel with no penalty anytime prior to final payment. I think that's quite nice.

Never found that Princess or any other cruise line really gave you a Previous cruise discount. It is the TA who always beats the price and gives the discounts and OBCs. I check site after site and entered as a new cruisers on that line and then again as a repeat cruiser on that line and never saw a cheaper price because of being a repeat cruise. My TA gives me the best price.

Just like upgrades. If you get one, you are really lucky. Been cruising on too many lines and too many times to see a real experience. An inside upgrade to an inside is not an upgrade.

This is just my experiences. I am sure someone will give us theirs.

I do not believe this is a case of Princess abolishing the past guest pricing, as suggested by the OP. Rather, Princess was offering a $100/person discount for those booking before the end of 2010. That was the gist of several emails I received from Princess over the past several weeks ... and I just checked the cruises we were considering and, yes, pricing has gone up by $100/person, just as the emails had stated. I don't feel bad about missing that discount, as we were not yet ready to select a date and itinerary.

In reality, the only way to hold a quoted price is to put money on a booking.

Never found that Princess or any other cruise line really gave you a Previous cruise discount. It is the TA who always beats the price and gives the discounts and OBCs. I check site after site and entered as a new cruisers on that line and then again as a repeat cruiser on that line and never saw a cheaper price because of being a repeat cruise..

Although I have not seen past cruiser discounts previously on cruises I've checked, the cruise we're on this month did have a discount for past passengers that lasted about 2 months.

Cruise prices can be like flight prices............you never know when they will change. Since you delayed your booking, you will now pay an extra $100, you can't blame the cruise line for this?????????

Exactly.....:):):)

Bob

As others have stated, you never know which direction (and how far) prices will change.

I booked my upcoming March Hawaii sailing in September. At that time the Princess website showed the fare of an Oceanview at $1697 pp. After I logged in, my past passenger price was shown at $1247 pp. As a solo cruiser that's a difference of $900 in my fare. Mama didn't raise no dummies, so I booked it then and there even though I wasn't completely sure I'd be able to go. [note: One of the great things about FCCs is that you have a deposit on file just waiting to be played with!]

Final payment date was New Year's Eve. On January 1st the price was $1499 with no past passenger discount.

The first moral of the story:

When you see a deal, grab it. You can always cancel before final payment if you change your mind.

The second moral of the story:

Reminds you these guys do not care about the people, it is all about the $.
Of course it is. They are a business. If their first priority wasn't making a profit, they'd be a poorly run business.

JMHO

As others have stated, you never know which direction (and how far) prices will change.

I booked my upcoming March Hawaii sailing in September. At that time the Princess website showed the fare of an Oceanview at $1697 pp. After I logged in, my past passenger price was shown at $1247 pp. As a solo cruiser that's a difference of $900 in my fare. Mama didn't raise no dummies, so I booked it then and there even though I wasn't completely sure I'd be able to go. [note: One of the great things about FCCs is that you have a deposit on file just waiting to be played with!]

Final payment date was New Year's Eve. On January 1st the price was $1499 with no past passenger discount.

The first moral of the story:

When you see a deal, grab it. You can always cancel before final payment if you change your mind.

The second moral of the story:

Of course it is. They are a business. If their first priority wasn't making a profit, they'd be a poorly run business.

JMHO

Exactly!

So let me get this straight. You could have locked in an acceptable price at no risk till final payment, you didn't, the price went up, and you expected Princess to grant you a do-over?

And you're both surprised and outraged they didn't? Oh-kay....

So let me get this straight. You could have locked in an acceptable price at no risk till final payment, you didn't, the price went up, and you expected Princess to grant you a do-over?

And you're both surprised and outraged they didn't? Oh-kay....

That's exactly what I was thinking. Sales end in all wakes of life. Groceries, clothing, etc....................................................

Although I have not seen past cruiser discounts previously on cruises I've checked, the cruise we're on this month did have a discount for past passengers that lasted about 2 months.

I receive flyers from various cruise lines. Yes, $100.00 off, but off of what price? The price the TA is providing or their price? Then they tell you that they don't even know about that flyer. So, you provide the flyer number. Still unknown to them. Or, sorry you can't combine that with the price you are already getting. OMG, where do I go from here?

Do I take this OBC and can I combine it with that OBC? They keep you in suspense.

I just go for the best price and that one is what my TA gets me. Is it always the lowest? I am sure someone can find a better price. I have even met the TA on-board who is the one and only TA that the cruise lines gives the cheapest price to. Well, been there and done that, too. Sorry, someone can still beat a price.

I cruise to enjoy life. So, if you are satisfied that you are getting a deal, go for it.

Hey did you check the price of gas? Now that is something to talk about and wonder. Where is all the profit going? Not in our pockets.

Happy cruising!

Sometimes it can be worth losing the deposit if the price or deal is right! First cruise on QM a few years ago wife had paid £350 deposit when time came for final payment i found a deal that was higher grade balcony (deck 6 to deck 11) a one night stay in NY for the same price as the remaining balance and not from the same ta so for us it was worth losing £350 if you see what i mean!I presume everyone else would have done the same would they?

Archived