Radiance of the Seas - GS/JS - dark balconies?

I am just about to book either a Junior or a Grand Suite on board the Radiance. The rooms are on deck 10, towards the rear of the ship.

Looking at the deck plan, it would appear that these rooms are kind of set back underneath the deck where the Windjammer would be directly above. I am thinking that would make the balconies and the rooms feel dark.

Looking for experiences from anyone who has stayed in these cabins before I press the button.

TIA.

The only GS toward the aft is 1600, on the corner. I found it to be relatively dark because it has fewer windows than the GS further forward. My favorite is 1556, which has a large balcony and great views. I found 1060 to be quite dark, too. You can find pictures of 1600 and 1060 by following the link in my signature.

I have only stayed in 1602 or 1100 in the JS categories, and they are fantastic, with plenty of light. But I think you're talking about the staterooms along the sides of the ship, which I've never gotten a good look at, so can't help.

We've stayed in the aft section JS, deck 10....it's no "darker" than anyplace else..in fact, it's not "dark" at all! The ambient light is quite strong...and depending which way you're facing, the sun can be uncomfortably hot, at times! Except for the "true" afts, every single deck is covered by the deck above, but darkness is not a problem!

We've stayed in the aft section JS, deck 10....it's no "darker" than anyplace else..in fact, it's not "dark" at all! The ambient light is quite strong...and depending which way you're facing, the sun can be uncomfortably hot, at times! Except for the "true" afts, every single deck is covered by the deck above, but darkness is not a problem!

This surprises me. With the overhang of the deck above, from photos, it looks like the light levels would be very obstructed. Hmmmm.

See the shadows in this photo? I wasn't clear in my original posting but I am considering one of the JS on the port side in the range 1076-1098 (towards aft but on the side), immediately below the Windjammer deck.

Radiance.jpg

This surprises me. With the overhang of the deck above, from photos, it looks like the light levels would be very obstructed. Hmmmm.

See the shadows in this photo? I wasn't clear in my original posting but I am considering one of the JS on the port side in the range 1076-1098 (towards aft but on the side), immediately below the Windjammer deck.

Radiance.jpg

The overhang issue concerns me, also! I am booked on the Serenade, and picked a JS where the overhang is minimal. Check out the deck plans to see which ones have the smallest "sky blockage"! I've heard and seen some photos where it does look like the ceiling gets in the way!

We were in JS 1596 on the Serenade (same class). Starboard side, second last on the side toward the aft.

I did not think it was "dark" at all, but definitely sheltered. We LOVED it.

Pics:

97768488.jpg

94fdb188.jpg

b1f59153.jpg

d00ee12e.jpg

130f0b1e.jpg

0d56850f.jpg

Hope that helps. I also took a few closer pics of the balcony of 1598, which is listed as an obstructed view because of the window-washing equipment, if anyone is interested.

Sue

I was in GS 1050, which also had one of those humps sticking out above. It does prevent direct sunlight during the height of the day, but I would not say it's dark at all:

2625828170080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2004351210080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Had the next cabin (1048) and it was kinda shady.....I prefer more sun............but had great neighbors:D:D

Had the next cabin (1048) and it was kinda shady.....I prefer more sun............but had great neighbors:D:D

Yea, my neighbor was pretty cool...sure to greet me with a smile and a waive:

2229844790080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh yea, and my next door neighbors were pretty cool too! :D;)

Radiance.jpg

1076 is a great JS. I have booked this more then once and will continue to do so.

The only GS toward the aft is 1600, on the corner. I found it to be relatively dark because it has fewer windows than the GS further forward. My favorite is 1556, which has a large balcony and great views. I found 1060 to be quite dark, too. You can find pictures of 1600 and 1060 by following the link in my signature.

I have only stayed in 1602 or 1100 in the JS categories, and they are fantastic, with plenty of light. But I think you're talking about the staterooms along the sides of the ship, which I've never gotten a good look at, so can't help.

1602 is the JS on the Radiance of the Seas correct? Don't those have much larger balconies? They look like the extend out further than a regular JS. Please give me your input on this. Trying to make sure it is worth switching our JS around. We are currently in 1576. Thanks!

We were in 1052 was excellent - the balcony wasn 't very deep though - but ample space for two people - no sun in the afternoon which I was hoping for - some sun in the morning - was convenient to the condierge lounge, but very noisy, we were under the pool deck - not nice for two nights with the beach parties late night and the last night was horrible - called the desk, no answer, called maintenance and in a few minutes it stopped, but that was 2 a.m. so needless to say we were not in a good mood, since we had to get up at 6:30 a.m. to clear customs, seeing that we are non u.s.:)

Archived