New Years on Monarch...

sheilb4

I always read the reviews so am writing to give others an idea of what to expect,......

I booked this trip last minute and did get a pretty decent deal as well as it being a holiday cruise which are usually $$$....

Embarkation - Probably the longest I have experienced as there were so many large groups,and many small children! The lines were long and being a diamond member offered no priority embarkation which I usually have had..Staff at Port Canaveral were not the friendliest either....Not the best start.They also held up the lines with the photographers, and you couldn't get by them while they were organising all the large family groups for pics...that was frustrating.

This was a 3nt New Years Cruise. First impression, Monarch is a smaller ship and is showing her age, no offer of free champagne like you get on a CCL NYE cruise as you board...sorry but true. Overall a nice friendly crew and they seemed happy to be working on her.

The majority of passengers were large family groups, quite a lot of small children too. Travelling as a solo passenger I think I was maybe one of just a handful. I did meet a couple of solo cruisers but otherwise all large groups.

I will keep this in mind for my next New Years....

I went to the meet and mingle that was organised by the roll call, but was very disappointed that noone showed up... :( where were you all!??

Anyway New Years was the first night, which I am not sure was the best, considering many folks had been travelling all day, so were probably tired. The atmosphere was still exciting and well attended, ample free champagne, and lots of dancing....I watched everyone from the balcony over the pool area, and it looked like so much fun....sometimes, travelling solo is difficult at such events, but I tried to enjoy it. I was at sea, on a cruise, and NOT at work or sitting home alone! :)

Food - what can I say, no change, not even disappointing any more as I have sadly come to expect such poor quality and limited choice over the past year or so. This cruise I did notice a lot more indian food, and not as much asian/chinese.

No sushi unless you wanted to pay for it in the Jade restaurant at night, I didn't go there so do not know how it was...

Dining Room - I went one night only as I was not too impressed with the very slow and forgetful service. I had surf and turf ...oh my ...I am not kidding, the steak was no bigger than a ritz cracker! I couldn't believe it....and one shrimp! portion size was even more reduced than my Radiance cruise 2 weeks earlier...what is going on RCCL?

So Windjammer was my evening venue..same ol' food choices but good service, the staff really made an effort to please and serve. Well done!

Cabin-I booked last minute so only secured an interior forward cabin....definately the smallest cabin I have ever been in! small, showing age, rusty bathroom, but served its purpose, as I wasn't in there too much. If you are claustrophobic beware! even the ceiling is very low...

First stop after NYE was Nassau. It was a cloudy day and a little cooler so I didn't bother getting off....there were also 4 other ships there! too crowded for me!

Coco Cay was the 2nd day. That was a really delightful day, beautiful weather. I got off early so was fortunate to secure a hammock on the quieter beach(Barefoot beach) and rocked gently in the breeze, while enjoying the lovely warm sun and a good book...lovely day. Look out for the $$ drinks, you have to purchase a plastic cup and with the drink it cost $9.20 each time (incl $1.60 tip each time) They no longer do refills even tho you buy the cup!

They had a good bar-b-que and the spread looked pretty good, but I decided to go back to the ship for a late lunch, and miss the tender rush.... Wish now that I had stayed at the beach because the Windjammer had a very small choice for lunch.

Entertainment-Ok, nothing out of the ordinary, but at least the bands they had were all very good....! My experience a few weeks ago on Radiance was disappointing, the filipino band on there were dreadful!

There was even a duo entertaining us in the Diamond Lounge...they also serenaded people...they were excellent!

Overall I enjoyed this short trip, and wished it were longer, so may consider going on Monarch again, but definately in a larger cabin please! lol...Please fell free to ask any questions....:D

I was on this cruise also, did not show up at the unofficial Meet and Mingle, we were trying to tie up some loose ends before sail away, it was a quick weekend get away but still had to catch up on work issues.

We were on the 9th floor, being a Diamond member we had so much champagne at the Crown loft, the welcome back party, New Years Eve. We were also were invited to a breakfast ( we didn't attend ) and offered a Bridge and engine room tour.

We ate in the main dining, we thought the service was outstanding, the menu was typical RCCL and was the same standards we have enjoyed on other cruises. I think it is the luck of the draw who your waiter is.

We were offered and took priority embarkation and were one of the first to get on the ship.

Nassau there was a Parade which we enjoyed. Coco Cay was wonderful.

The TV selection was pretty good showing some movies that just left theaters.

The worst part for us is delayed flights both ways. The Monarch was our first cruise on RCCL and have not been on since 2002, I thought for an older ship she looked great. We got a good price on this cruise and really enjoyed it.

Embarkation - Probably the longest I have experienced as there were so many large groups,and many small children! The lines were long and being a diamond member offered no priority embarkation which I usually have had..Staff at Port Canaveral were not the friendliest either....Not the best start.

One of the nice features of Port Canaveral is the priority embarkation. Don't know how you missed it. We used it several times last year. Wasn't it there when you did Freedom? I agree about the photographer location. They need to fix that!

One of the nice features of Port Canaveral is the priority embarkation. Don't know how you missed it. We used it several times last year. Wasn't it there when you did Freedom? I agree about the photographer location. They need to fix that!

I was there around 11a, and was told I was too late?? really odd, had to wait almost an hour to get onboard while standing in the long lines...

I have always received priority embarkation before...waited in a seperate area etc, I even questioned it, but was told no.....:( oh well...next time.....

I am so sorry you did not have a good experience. That being said we arrived at the port around 11:30 and had no problem going through the priority check in line. The staff, as usual, was very pleasant and accommodating. No RCCL ship greets you with champagne. As far as people travelling all day and then celebrating New Years Eve - the cruise company cannot change the day of the party because people travel - that's when the holiday was!!:) As you stated everyone was quite energetic and all I saw was non stop dancing. I too was on deck 12 and the energy was over the top IMHO!!!! Just because you were solo should not have deterred you from going down onto the pool deck to do some dancing. There were a lot of solo dancers . I thought they did a great job of counting down and as you said the champagne was free flowing for quite awhile - the staff and crew were so very friendly and personable!!!!

I did not see you post on the roll call but I too went down to the Schooner Bar and couldn't recognize anyone but that also being said I did not stop to ask the people with mardi gras beads if they were on the roll call.

The room sizes are posted on the website so there should have been no surprise with the size of the room.

Too bad you did not get off the ship in Nassau - there was a great parade for Junkanoo. So full of Bahamian culture and flavor.

As far as the food was concerned - there were special menus for NYE which were out of the ordinary and quite delightful IMHO. Sorry you did not have good service - our service and treatment were excellent. The food was also very good on the other evenings. The diamond breakfast was quite lovely and again I must say they went all out and put a lot of effort into making us feel special. Champagne and mimosas were plentiful.

I am glad that you enjoyed your trip and do hope you will give Monarch another chance - she most definitely has the best staff and crew in the fleet IMHO - very friendly and helpful.

I know of a few people that were on this cruise and talked to them this morning..........they all said it was sucha good time...I was sorry I wasnt there:(

Me too, Kathy. I tried to book a cabin, but was too late as the ship was already booked up. Drats... :( We totally enjoyed both our October and December cruise.

The DH and I are calling our 1/7 boarding in 2 days our "delayed New Years celebration". :D

Cheaper this way anyway! ;)

Isn't it possble to just walk around the photo session there? I have seen many people do that, as I think it is optional?

See you in 10 days, Scotty! :)

Isn't it possble to just walk around the photo session there? I have seen many people do that, as I think it is optional?

I do believe that it is no problem to just walk around the photographers.:)

Me too, Kathy. I tried to book a cabin, but was too late as the ship was already booked up. Drats... :( We totally enjoyed both our October and December cruise.

The DH and I are calling our 1/7 boarding in 2 days our "delayed New Years celebration". :D

Cheaper this way anyway! ;)

I agree......I wouldn't pay double or triple the normal rate just go for NYEs:rolleyes:.......this years MN came waaaaaaaaaaaaay down making it much more affordable for awhile,

Im sure I'll catch up with you soon..

If a large group bunches up while waiting for the photogs there is often a blockade. As we are usually first on now due to DW being handicapped we haven't experienced that recently.

We will be in FLL next Thursday at this time. Whoohoo! (did you read about our upgrade on the M&M B/B?) :D:D:D

I agree......I wouldn't pay double or triple the normal rate just go for NYEs:rolleyes:.......this years MN came waaaaaaaaaaaaay down making it much more affordable for awhile,

We booked this cruise since the price was so good.....and had a great time.

I am so sorry you did not have a good experience. That being said we arrived at the port around 11:30 and had no problem going through the priority check in line. The staff, as usual, was very pleasant and accommodating. No RCCL ship greets you with champagne. As far as people travelling all day and then celebrating New Years Eve - the cruise company cannot change the day of the party because people travel - that's when the holiday was!!:) As you stated everyone was quite energetic and all I saw was non stop dancing. I too was on deck 12 and the energy was over the top IMHO!!!! Just because you were solo should not have deterred you from going down onto the pool deck to do some dancing. There were a lot of solo dancers . I thought they did a great job of counting down and as you said the champagne was free flowing for quite awhile - the staff and crew were so very friendly and personable!!!!

I did not see you post on the roll call but I too went down to the Schooner Bar and couldn't recognize anyone but that also being said I did not stop to ask the people with mardi gras beads if they were on the roll call.

The room sizes are posted on the website so there should have been no surprise with the size of the room.

Too bad you did not get off the ship in Nassau - there was a great parade for Junkanoo. So full of Bahamian culture and flavor.

As far as the food was concerned - there were special menus for NYE which were out of the ordinary and quite delightful IMHO. Sorry you did not have good service - our service and treatment were excellent. The food was also very good on the other evenings. The diamond breakfast was quite lovely and again I must say they went all out and put a lot of effort into making us feel special. Champagne and mimosas were plentiful.

I am glad that you enjoyed your trip and do hope you will give Monarch another chance - she most definitely has the best staff and crew in the fleet IMHO - very friendly and helpful.

I will give her another chance of course, as the staff/crew were indeed very friendly and personable. I didn't bother checking the cabin size as I based it on a carnival interior cabin, and they are larger..not a major issue just know for another time...I didn't notice any folks dancing alone, seemed like everyone was a group, families, couples, so felt a bit out of place, but thats my problem huh! lol I shouldn't have let it bother me, but NYE somehow always seems to be "emotional" for me...silly girl I know!:p I won't let it stop me going again...as lonely as it kinda felt, it was so nice to see how happy and how everyone were enjoying themselves.....

We will be in FLL next Thursday at this time. Whoohoo! (did you read about our upgrade on the M&M B/B?) :D:D:D

Yes I did!! :D

And I posted back my "congrats" on the upgrade. Please check that thread, as I was very happy for you!! :D

Looking forward to that future cruise on our "favorite ship". :D

Funny thing is that the DH and I were down at Grills to watch the NYE happy cruisers slide out to sea, waving a fond "bon voyage" as I was watching her silently leave from our view like a member of our family leaving our home and missing her immediately!

Archived