Reserve Tour with Credit Card Number?

lcstraveler

Hi, my family is in the midst of planning shore excursions for our July 2010 Med cruise (Grand Med on the Ruby Princess). I've confirmed with AllAroundItaly for a Pompeii/Sorrento/etc. but I didn't need to give him my credit card information to complete the booking. Now I've been corresponding with Guido Bandinelli of Guido's Tours for a tour and wine tasting through the Chianti area. To hold my reservation he is requesting a credit card number, expiration date and the three digit code on the back only as a safeguard against no-shows and late cancellations. Is this normal? Has anyone sent this information to Guido before? Thanks!

. To hold my reservation he is requesting a credit card number, expiration date and the three digit code on the back only as a safeguard against no-shows and late cancellations. Is this normal? Has anyone sent this information to Guido before? Thanks!

I am guessing perhaps he's had too many no-shows who have wasted his time, and he now must protect himself. I don't know who this person is, but if it seemed to be a reputable company, I would have no problem with this. It's pretty standard for many places to require a credit card to hold a reservation.

If you are worried, check your credit card activity on line regularly.

I would say that most of the companies we used last summer (we did the same Ruby Grand Med itinerary) required a credit card hold. I think it's a good way to do business on their part and it actually gave me some comfort because that's what I would expect from a professionally run company.

Archived