Disney Stole My Idea!

mcwebber

I've been telling friends for some time that in the future, as LED TV's become cheaper and thinner, Carnival will install them in the inside cabins where a window would be and mount a series of cameras on port and starboard. (I recently looked at a 3D HDTV and it was like looking out a window.) The new Disney Dream just docked in Port Canaveral, and I just read a news story about it:

"The Dream boasts first-of-their-kind features such as a shipboard "water coaster" and virtual portholes in inside staterooms that provide a real-time view outside the ship."

A more detailed story from the one I read:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70352H20110104

It's such a fantastic idea that it was never thought of before - so Disney decided to be the first...I'm not so sure about 3D ones though.

They could have two channels for the view and also offer 3D movies and make some money to offset the cost of the TV's by renting people the glasses.

Makes there no point in getting a OV though. Would sure kill OV prices.

Except for the fact that the OV is usually larger than the inside and the only reason we book one. The next cruise we are looking at 2 insides are are less than the OV so we will go that route, not really worried about the Window.

They stole my idea for the naming of their 2 new ships as well! Sent them a fun email with my suggestions and they sent me a nasty response that they do not solicite names. I am sure they thought that I would want a fee or something LOL. Well anyway, they are using one of the names I suggested....the Dream....like it takes a rocket scientist to suggest that name!!!LOL...My other suggestion was The Adventure...again not rocket science.

Regardless, their snail mail response was so nasty that we won't be cruising them again.......too expensive anyway!!

Hey, dont feel bad. In 1993 we bought Disney Vacation Club and I suggested to the salesman that Disney should build their own ships (at the time they were working with the Big Red Boat). He said it was too costly and they'd never fill a whole ship, week in and week out. I think he probably took the idea to the powers that be and is now basking in the rewards of "his" great idea. lol.

I'm sure someone else thought of PCs, I phones, and velcro too but just didn't get it done. lol.

Tony

I'm sure someone else thought of PCs, I phones, and velcro too but just didn't get it done. lol.

Tony

Yeah, although this idea couldn't be patented. I did think of the Flowbee long before it came out and my friend I told it to and I had a good laugh. "Yeah, suck your hair up with a vacuum and cut it. Har har." The guy who did it is laughing now.

Except for the fact that the OV is usually larger than the inside and the only reason we book one. The next cruise we are looking at 2 insides are are less than the OV so we will go that route, not really worried about the Window.

On which Carnival ship are the inside cabins across from a normal ocean view larger? IIRC, on the Fantasy class they're the same.

I've been telling friends for some time that in the future, as LED TV's become cheaper and thinner, Carnival will install them in the inside cabins where a window would be and mount a series of cameras on port and starboard. (I recently looked at a 3D HDTV and it was like looking out a window.) The new Disney Dream just docked in Port Canaveral, and I just read a news story about it:

"The Dream boasts first-of-their-kind features such as a shipboard "water coaster" and virtual portholes in inside staterooms that provide a real-time view outside the ship."

A more detailed story from the one I read:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70352H20110104

Cute idea.....and Disney can afford it with the awful prices they charge...:p

Hey, dont feel bad. In 1993 we bought Disney Vacation Club and I suggested to the salesman that Disney should build their own ships (at the time they were working with the Big Red Boat). He said it was too costly and they'd never fill a whole ship, week in and week out. I think he probably took the idea to the powers that be and is now basking in the rewards of "his" great idea. lol.

Tony

Back in the 60's when I was just a kid I suggested that we should have phones that we could carry with us to other people's houses and then when we got there just plug our phones into their jacks so if someone called our number our phone would ring! I remember all the rolling eyes at my suggestion!!!:rolleyes:

I've been telling friends for some time that in the future, as LED TV's become cheaper and thinner, Carnival will install them in the inside cabins where a window would be and mount a series of cameras on port and starboard. . .

Those virtual portholes on Disney Dream are rather uncanny when you actually see them. I was personally amazed in a big way (but definitely preferred the ocean 'view' without any of the animated additions). :)

IMHO, I think insides with no view (fake or not) are better because it gets more passengers outdoors.

An LCD porthole isn't going to keep me inside!!!

It would just be cool because it's an actual camera that depicts the real view from whichever side of the ship you're on (port or starboard). So you won't feel totally in the dark in an inside cabin, anymore. And the greatest thing is they're in every inside cabin (usually, Disney tries to upcharge for cool things like that). Unfortunately, at the time, Disney Dream = $$$$!!! I'm hoping that when the Fantasy is debuted, the Dream will go down in price (and hopefully the Magic and Wonder will, too).

Archived