Beware ! Cashless Toll Roads in Florida

Arnold Don

4. What happens if I did not choose the Express Toll Service and go through one of the automated toll lanes?

You will be charged the cost of the applicable toll fee plus a $5 dollar administration fee per violation.

Edited by Capt_BJ

4. What happens if I did not choose the Express Toll Service and go through one of the automated toll lanes?

You will be charged the cost of the applicable toll fee plus a $5 dollar administration fee per violation.

Yup, buying off the toll saved us a few when we took a wrong exit hehe. :D

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Now that this has popped back up after a 2 year hiatus, I figured I'd post.

I was thinking, after my recent drive from Tampa to FLL, that I would get a SunPass for our trip in August from West Palm up to Orlando (if we chose to sail on Freedom). Now that we are flying to Orlando airport, we are only heading directly to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. So for that trip, I think at this time I am fine with a roll of quarters. If that is incorrect, I'd appreciate someone updating me.

Also, last time I did the trip from MCO to PC, the kids were yelling in the back, my mother was co piloting with a bunch of comments and for some reason I didn't exit the airport at the right place, and we had to go a bit before I could turn around.

So would someone be kind enough to give me explicit exit directions from the MCO airport to get on the proper road (528 right?) heading to PC/Cocoa Beach? I'll copy and paste them and add them to my document folder.

Thanks.

use the NORTH Airport exit

Watch for the BIG sign indictaing the RIGHT exit for SR-528 EAST, Port Canaveral and the beaches . . .

Two $1 tolls, both take cash but be sure to keep RIGHT. The left lanes are the SUNPASS LANES and go straight thru . . .

tollmap_zps821b25c5.jpg

airportdirections_zpsc4eef7f9.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

use the NORTH Airport exit

Watch for the BIG sign indictaing the RIGHT exit for SR-528 EAST, Port Canaveral and the beaches . . .

Two $1 tolls, both take cash but be sure to keep RIGHT. The left lanes are the SUNPASS LANES and go straight thru . . .

tollmap_zps821b25c5.jpg

Thanks Capt. I live in NJ and we have EZPass. What I wouldn't give for that to be accepted down in FL. I'd bring it in my bag and use it and never have to worry. But as of the last time I called, there was nothing in the works to have them cross honored, although I seem to recall reading something here on the boards about that happening. I'm used to tolls, it's a way of life in NY and NJ, so it doesn't scare me, I just don't want to get caught somewhere if they've gone all electronic.

Fl IS working on it

SUNPASS is today compat' with the system in NC:

7/13 SunPass welcomes North Carolina Quick Pass motorists to Florida toll roads. Motorists from Florida and North Carolina are now able to travel toll roads in each state using their Quick Pass or SunPass transponder to pay for tolls electronically. NC Quick Pass is accepting all SunPass transponders on the Triangle Expressway as a form of payment, as long as the vehicle license plate is registered on the SunPass account.

SUNPASS changed out my 'old' transponders for free this year, giving me new ones as a step in the process to upgrade the technology in use to the de facto standard.

1. Why is my SunPass transponder being replaced?

As part of our SunPass program, we are replacing selected older transponders with new and well-tested SunPass transponders. This replacement is necessary to continually improve the service we provide to our customers, while at the same time ensuring future growth of the SunPass program.

2. What are the benefits of the updated transponder?

Your updated transponder provides all the feature benefits currently available to you such as Easy Pay and SunPass Plus Airport Parking. In addition, you will be able to participate in future enhancements, starting with the ability to travel to other compatible states and pay for out of state tolls using your prepaid SunPass account.

• 2 years later...

It seems that the last post on this thread was more than two years ago. I am looking for some up to date information on driving and tolls while in Florida.

I am renting a car from Thrifty in Fort Lauderdale, driving to the Port Canaveral area, and from there driving to the Orlando area. I believe I can get from Fort Lauderdale up to the Port Canaveral area using non toll roads, but see no way to get from Port Canaveral to Orlando on toll free roads. Since I have read that many tolls are now "cashless" and you must have a transponder, I am wondering what my options are. I am also confused about various types of lanes and what lanes I am allowed to drive in.

I have read that Thrifty offers a transponder that costs $10.49 per day and includes all tolls you might incur. If that is true, that is probably my best bet, but I'm still confused about what lanes I can use, and concerned that additional fees might be added on to that daily cost.

Can someone who is familiar with how these cashless tolls work for someone who lives out of state and does not own a transponder please explain anything I might need to know? I'm only renting a car for two days, but I'd be pretty annoyed if I was renting for a longer period of time and not using many toll roads, as you must rent the transponder for the entire time you rent the car. That would result in a large additional cost for just a few dollars worth of tolls. I have to say, it makes me re-think future visits to Florida. Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some insight into this problem.

Ok...car rental company will confirm your use of the "toll system" some will offer you an advanced payment thing with your rental as the blinking lights /plate photo goes back to the car company. ...OR...if you come to FLA a lot think about a SUNPASS you can self load your dollars from their Web site

Third option. .."road trip" get on 95 south to Melbourne and take the HWY 192...east west...will take you over the river and thru the trees.. but eventually dump you at Disney

If you're heading to the ORLANDO airport. ..sigh

I'm stuck

There are lanes that clearly state SUNPASS

Thinking purchasing transponder might be the way to go...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

The SunPass Portable cost is $19.99 plus tax, plus a required $10.00 minimum initial balance. The SunPass Mini Sticker Transponder cost is $4.99 plus tax, plus a required $10.00 minimum initial balance. This means that you can get started with the SunPass Prepaid Toll Program for as little as $14.99 plus tax.

Purchase a SunPass

https://www.sunpass.com › purchase

Feedback

About this result •

Purchase a SunPass

https://www.sunpass.com › purchase

The SunPass Portable cost is $19.99 plus tax, plus a required $10.00 minimum initial balance. The SunPass Mini Sticker Transponder cost is $4.99 plus tax, plus a required $10.00 minimum initial balance. This means that you can get started with the SunPass Prepaid Toll Program for as little as $14.99 plus tax.

Sales Locations - SunPass

https://www.sunpass.com › sunPassRetailers

Retailers include Publix Super Markets, CVS Pharmacy stores, Walgreens, Amscot Financial branches and AAA South offices in Florida.

Frequently Asked Questions - SunPass

https://www.sunpass.com › faq

A: Yes. Replacement cost is the same as the initial cost, $19.99 plus tax for the SunPass Portable transponder; $4.99 plus tax for the SunPass Mini Sticker transponder. For your protection, please access your SunPass account online to change the status of the transponder you are no longer using. 8.

How to Buy a Florida Sunpass: 6 Steps (with Pictures)

wikiHow › ... › United States › Florida

A regular Sunpass transponder will cost $25.00, and a sticker transponder will cost ... Go to any Publix Supermarket or CVS Pharmacy in Florida to buy a Sunpass.

What You Need to Know About the Florida SunPass - Florida Travel - About.com

goflorida.about.com › allaboutflorida › s...

Learn about how the SunPass works and how to get one. ... these locations — CVS Pharmacies, Publix Supermarkets, AAA Auto Club, Navarro Discount Pharmacy, ...

Sun Pass mini or portable use in Rental Cars? - Orlando Forum ...

TripAdvisor › ... › Orlando Travel Forum

Dec 27, 2013 - I would rather purchase the "mini" because it only costs $4.99 vs $25 for the "portable" unit. However ...

SunPass Now Available at Walgreens - Florida's Turnpike

Florida's Turnpike › sunpass-availability

Purchasing a SunPass is now more convenient than ever. ... SunPass is also available at Publix Super Markets, CVS/ pharmacy, ...

SunPass: New SunPass transponder uses no batteries - tribunedigital ...

Sun Sentinel › articles › ... › Transponder

Jan 15, 2013 - North Carolina uses Quick Pass. Where can I buy SunPass and how much does it cost? At Publix, CVS, AAA Auto Club ...

Florida Sun Pass Toll Road Saving Program (New Sticker $10 fully ...

Fatwallet.com › forums › hot-deals

Jul 9, 2008 - 41 posts - ‎2 authors

$50 total out of pocket to get a New sunpass and Account. ... New SunPass Mini Sticker transponder now available at Publix, Navarro and Sedano's.

Purchasing a sunpass transponder for a hertz vehicle for Florida ...

FlyerTalk › hertz-gold-plus-rewards › 15...

Mar 17, 2014 - I wish to avoid the higher costs charged by hertz for their platepass in Florida ... Haven't seen them at Publix anymore and thought I read something a ...

Related searches

sunpass mini

free sunpass

sunpass login

sunpass activation?

sunpass mini sticker

sunpass tag swap

how does sunpass work

sunpass transponder types

Next

Terms

Miami to tampa...95 to yehaw junction (hwy 60) no tolls

Miami tampa via WEST COAST OF FLORIDA INTERSTATE 75 Alligator Alley has toll..maybe 3 dollars (?) Much more direct for me..and my personal choice

3rd option. ..tolls Florida turnpike north ...to Orlando with also an exit to yehaw and then west to tampa

My Son went to school at,Florida Atlantic University(Boca Raton) I chose my drive according to the weather. Rain on east cost...I head west than up 75...rain on west...I prefer turnpike to yehaw...

Hwy 60 has LOTS of dark simple one lane each way traffic. .that's why I TRY to do my route 75 to "the alley"...

Majarosh, thank you SO much for your help in gathering this information. We will be driving to the Orlando airport at the end of our trip, so I think we are going to "rent" the transponder from Thrifty Car Rental. It is $10.49 per day, and they say that includes all the tolls you may assess. So, I'll just rent it to make my life easier. I certainly wish Florida would offer an alternative for visitors who rent cars. Oh well. Thank you again for all your effort in gathering all that information for me.

you don't rent cars at home huh????

cuz you DO have toll roads and toll bridges

and the rental car issues are the same or worse

a Florida resident who recently rented from JFK location and drove to Jersey sends ....

wanna see my credit card charges?

oh wait ... why doesn't FL take my E-pass?

Why doesn't NY take me SUNPASS?????

Edited by Capt_BJ

We add the Sunpass "buy off" at some $9-10 per day when renting in Miami, ease of mind and no hassle about tolls etc while driving (to and from some points of interest and malls :) )

And also because any toll event is a $5 fee plus the actual toll otherwise at our preferred rental company. :D

Edited by FreestyleNovice

I'm from Ottawa Canada so tolls are totally new to me. I will be staying in Fort Lauderdale area for 5 days after my cruise. Probably driving around Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Wanting to visit the Everglades national park too. I'm renting Hertz.

I'm looking for advice if it makes sense to pay Hetz or buy a Surpass thing. Im only in Florida once a year max. Thanks

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I am only driving from the Orlando airport to Cocoa Beach and back to Port Canaveral to return the car. Is it true that there is a lane to pay the toll in cash for these destinations? If so, is it likely that the rental place (Dollar) will try to scare me into renting their transponder? I just want to be sure about this. Thanks for your help, Karen

We are also from Ottawa Canada & not familiar with toll roads.

We will drive to Cocoa beach & stay there for 10 days prior to cruising.

Will we have "Cash Only" lanes on our drive to Orlando Airport? Tampa Bay?

Approx amounts?

Appreciate your comments.

Stick on transponders are effectively free. They cost $4.99, and come with $4.99 of toll credit.

Are they intended for only one vehicle, yes, must you use them in only one vehicle, not really, you can feather the sticky part and reuse them in as many vehicles as you wish as long as they are perfectly flat against your windshield..

Yes it good to maintain your account updated with the proper tag numbers associated with the sticky, but believe me, weather the tag is in your account or not, if that sticky is read in a toll lane, the charges will find they way back to the sticky account.

But again the stickies being effectively free, why would you want to move them around, just buy several, and activate them as needed.

Let me say this, it is better to err by NOT having a tag registered to your account, than forgetting that you have a rental's car tag registered to your account. As long as you register the transponder to your account, all is good. the charges will find their way back to your account via the sticky number. However if you have a tag registered to your account, even if the sticky is not used, the charges will find their way to your account via the tag number. So all that use the rental car registered in your account after you will do so on your dime.

If at all possible pre order your sticky, or several stickies, set up your account, and you will be ready by the time you get the rental car.

Cheers.

I am only driving from the Orlando airport to Cocoa Beach and back to Port Canaveral to return the car. Is it true that there is a lane to pay the toll in cash for these destinations? If so, is it likely that the rental place (Dollar) will try to scare me into renting their transponder? I just want to be sure about this. Thanks for your help, Karen

Yes, you have 2 tolls ($1 + $1 = $2) each way. Cash/change lanes available!

Some good info in this thread, but most of it concerns rental cars. What about those of us driving our own vehicles to Port Canaveral just for a cruise and then back home? And NO, before you make assumptions, there are NO toll roads anywhere near where I live. Tolls are new to me.

The only thing I'm concerned about is being unfamiliar with the roads (first trip to Port Canaveral) and getting in one of the wrong lanes by accident. So if I'm understanding all this correctly, any toll road WILL have a pay-as-you-go option along with a Sunpass/automated option? So if I avoid Sunpass/cashless/whatever I should be okay in my own vehicle (NOT a rental) and will find a way to pay cash to continue?

Also what do they accept in tender? Bills, coins only, exact change, debit card swipes -- asking because again, I have no experience with toll roads.

Thanks in advance for civil answers. :o

Please know it is not necessary to use toll roads to get to Port Canaveral!!! You can easily get around without ever paying tolls.

Unless you are in a major rush, just set your GPS to avoid toll roads!

There are a few onramps/offramps that do not accept cash. It really depends on where you are coming from/going to.

I would plan on avoiding tolls if you have any concerns.

Some good info in this thread, but most of it concerns rental cars. What about those of us driving our own vehicles to Port Canaveral just for a cruise and then back home? And NO, before you make assumptions, there are NO toll roads anywhere near where I live. Tolls are new to me.

The only thing I'm concerned about is being unfamiliar with the roads (first trip to Port Canaveral) and getting in one of the wrong lanes by accident. So if I'm understanding all this correctly, any toll road WILL have a pay-as-you-go option along with a Sunpass/automated option? So if I avoid Sunpass/cashless/whatever I should be okay in my own vehicle (NOT a rental) and will find a way to pay cash to continue?

Also what do they accept in tender? Bills, coins only, exact change, debit card swipes -- asking because again, I have no experience with toll roads.

Thanks in advance for civil answers. :o

Here is some info I copied from another forum(this is not my post but I agree with what it says)

I'm assuming you mean you are bringing your own car with an out of state plate.

Some toll roads around Miami are cashless, including the Homestead extension of the Turnpike.

You can use Toll by Plate or Sunpass for the cashless tolls. Sunpass can also be used for all the tolls without the need to stop at the cash booths. If you use Toll by Plate you can either a)set up a prepaid account or b)they will mail you at your licence plate address and you pay the invoice, with an admin fee (2.50 on top of cash rates).

If you chose the prepaid account you need to register your tag. You would need to stop at the cash booths where they exist. Using Toll by Plate avoids having to go and purchase a Sunpass, but there's no discount, and you have to pay cash where available.

If you get a Sunpass you get a discount and use the Sunpass lanes for quicker passage through the tolls.

See here;

https://www.tollbyplate.com/

I'm not sure if you can use Toll by Plate for the MDX cashless tolls. Think you can but not certain

http://www.mdxway.com/. MDX controls several toll ways around Miami Dade county.

We have driven the Dolphin Expressway via Sixt's express toll service (which I think is Toll By Plate mass contract because they don't use a transponder).

Sixt has a great blog about it, was usefull to us before we started renting cars in FL (3 times, 4th coming up); http://www.sixtblog.com/travel-advice/florida-toll-roads/

Not spamming Sixt but I really like their carefree system, would recommend!