Beware ! Cashless Toll Roads in Florida

Arnold Don

What's antitourist about it? They know how to make money off of tourists!

They just don't warn you that there is no way to get off of them if you don't have a pass without getting dinged an extra $2.50 in processing fees. Plus - whatever it is going to cost me to pay it. I'm guessing they will probably charge an extra fee when I go to pay online. If I mail a check, I have to pay the postage too.

Personally, I think tourists should start complaining and then putting their money where their mouth is and start visiting other states. I have started sending off letters to the different tourist sites in the different cities and counties and plan on contacting Disney and the major cruise lines as well.

This is an extremely anti-tourist policy for a state with so much of its income coming from tourists.

This all electronic - have to pay at least $15 to get a pass and activate it is a way to scam tourists. Eventually locals will use all of the money, but my 75 cent fine has become a minimum of a $3.25 fine, plus having to deal with paying it. Most rental places charge a flat fee per day plus the toll amounts. Again, forcing more than the normal toll to be paid.

Personally, I think tourists should start complaining and then putting their money where their mouth is and start visiting other states.

Out of 50 states, 26 of them feature electronic tolling.

Its not a scam, nobody in FL got together to figure out how to scam tourists. Electronic tolling eases traffic congestion, reduces accidents, increases toll compliance, and lowers costs. Eventually every state will have electronic tolling.

For Florida, before you book a car, everything you need to know is right here:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Its not a scam, nobody in FL got together to figure out how to scam tourists. Electronic tolling eases traffic congestion, reduces accidents, increases toll compliance, and lowers costs. Eventually every state will have electronic tolling.

for once I agree with miamiyogi about something;)

I travel quite a bit and have never before run into a toll road with no way to pay cash. Some have quarter buckets without humans, but none were electronic only. If there are 26 states with electronic ONLY systems, please tell me where they are so that I can be aware of them. I can believe 26 have the option of electronic tolling, but this is the first REQUIRED - electronic only I have run into.

I did not rent a car. There was no notification about electronic only tolls when I entered the state. There was no notification at the rest stops where we stopped. There was a sign similar to the one I posted above when we were getting off of the freeway.

I have been to several FL tourist sites. None of them have warning about the all electronic toll systems. The information should be on the sites where tourists look, not on a site named after the program that tourists probably don't even know exists.

let's try this again from the top

the crazy charges are not coming from the State of Florida .... they are coming from certain rental companies. If FL tracks you down via 'toll by plate' for passing thru an electronic lane w/out a transponder their fee is (about) $2 .... and they collect all your charges for a month under that $2 (as I read it anyway)

When you get a $25 fee from the rental company - $23 of that is for the rental company. If they charge $25 PER 'violation' ... well, you should just feel violated .. by the RENTAL COMPANY.

on the other hand if you want to b#### about FL .... well we who live here appraciate you getting ripped off. Your fines mean I don't pay state taxes . . .

I have been to several FL tourist sites. None of them have warning about the all electronic toll systems. The information should be on the sites where tourists look, not on a site named after the program that tourists probably don't even know exists.

I'm not going to aggregate a list of all electronic tolling sites for you. But feel free to read one of my trade magazines:

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/taxonomy/term/45

Its announced on the highway (the sign says Sunpass or Toll By Plate):

shula_zps59312444.jpg

Its announced at the airport:

toll2.jpg

Toll1.jpg

Its announced at the car rental counter:

toll3.jpg

Its on the car rental websites:

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/display.ac?contentId=etoll-service-US_en-001366

http://www.dollar.com/Help/FAQs/ParkingTicketsMovingViolationsTollCharges.aspx

https://alamo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2281

Like I said before..the turnpike sunpass is for the convenience of all the people who live here and have to deal with it..not for the convenience of the tourists. I guess if people don't want to pay a turnpike fee they could do it the old fashioned way and take an alternate route. The majority of out of state visitors are probably snowbirds who likely have homes here who already became aquainted with the sunpass way. I doubt there would be a mass exodus of tourists from FL..some could care less about having to pay an extra $2.50 or .25.

You want to make your money from them is such a way as to not tick them off so that they are looking to the other warm states for their winter get-aways.

You know some people would miss the point if they sat on it...I think along the same lines you do....I love my sunpass :)

I'm not going to aggregate a list of all electronic tolling sites for you. But feel free to read one of my trade magazines:

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/taxonomy/term/45

shula_zps59312444.jpg

toll2.jpg

Toll1.jpg

toll3.jpg

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/display.ac?contentId=etoll-service-US_en-001366

And you know hardly anyone reads the fine print anyways! And I , like you, appreciate not paying state taxes

Welcome to Florida..read the fine print..

let's try this again from the top

the crazy charges are not coming from the State of Florida .... they are coming from certain rental companies. If FL tracks you down via 'toll by plate' for passing thru an electronic lane w/out a transponder their fee is (about) $2 .... and they collect all your charges for a month under that $2 (as I read it anyway)

When you get a $25 fee from the rental company - $23 of that is for the rental company. If they charge $25 PER 'violation' ... well, you should just feel violated .. by the RENTAL COMPANY.

on the other hand if you want to b#### about FL .... well we who live here appraciate you getting ripped off. Your fines mean I don't pay state taxes . . .

DH does not want to rent a car for the one way drive to PC from MCO, he wants to book a shuttle. I told him we could not stop to buy our wine, soda and water to take on the ship if we book a shuttle. With all this talk about toll roads, not being able to pay cash, being over charged etc. I am afraid I am going to get the "I told you so" if I get the rental car :( Some posts says how easy it is and then there are others that make it sound like a hassle. Can I purchase wine, water, soda at the airport for a reasonable price and just book a shuttle like DH wants to?

DH does not want to rent a car for the one way drive to PC from MCO, he wants to book a shuttle. I told him we could not stop to buy our wine, soda and water to take on the ship if we book a shuttle. With all this talk about toll roads, not being able to pay cash, being over charged etc. I am afraid I am going to get the "I told you so" if I get the rental car :( Some posts says how easy it is and then there are others that make it sound like a hassle. Can I purchase wine, water, soda at the airport for a reasonable price and just book a shuttle like DH wants to?

you will not run into very many toll booths in the Orlando area without a attendant. The ones that are unmanned I really can't see any reason for tourists to be in those areas. I would suggest taking the North exit from the airport and staying on SR436 (Semeron BLVD) Where you will find stores such as Publix, Wal Mart, Wal Greens , etc. to get any supplies for the cruise. I would then return back to toll rd 528 (Beach Line) and head east to the port.

When the sign says "Pre Paid Tolls keep left" stay to the Right and go to the booth to get a reciept. Best case is ask explicite details about the rental agencies toll policy/program before leaving the lot with a rental.

Enjoy your cruise!

We flew into FLL around Thanksgiving. The car rental was a package deal with the airline ticket we bought, so I didn't have an opportunity to read the fine print on the car rental company website. We did not see any signs in the airport, or at the Alamo rental desk. The first thing we saw was on the Turnpike, but we were already driving on it. Seeing as we had never heard of Toll by Plate, we didn't know what was going on until we stopped at the information center just before Key Largo.

I had planned to inquire with Alamo when we returned the car. Unfortunately, we ended up having a medical emergency that caused us to stay longer, and I was pre-occupied arguing about the ridiculous amount they were charging me for the extra days, so I completely forgot about the Turnpike that I had last drove on 4 days earlier (following my husband in an ambulance, I might add).

So far, we have not received a bill from Alamo. How long does it take them to bill usually?

In the future, we will know what to expect, and plan to either get the Sun Pass or make arrangements with the rental company up front. I don't expect it will be Alamo, though after the way they treated us!

shula_zps59312444.jpg

toll2.jpg

Toll1.jpg

toll3.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm going to try and revive this board, hopefully someone sees it and can help me out! I've read through all 6 pages, but the last messages are from 2012 and I'm still confused, and I'm sure things have changed in the last 2 years. And please, excuse my ignorance, I'm Canadian and we don't have toll roads like these.

Our plan is to book a car from Hertz in Fort Lauderdale and drive to Miami on a Saturday, drive around Miami and then drive back up and stay near Sawgrass Mills.

Checking on Google maps, I'm showing various routes, and they all seem to be toll roads. From what I've understood so far in this thread is that I-95 is NOT a toll road. Locals, please confirm this. And also, is taking the I-95 from Miami north towards the Fort Lauderdale even feasible? (I know it's possible based on the map, but is it a good idea?) Since it's a Saturday, I don't think there will be much traffic, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, can I get a confirmation that these are toll roads?

I-75 (Sawgrass Expressway)

595 (Port Everglades Expressway)

Florida Turnpike

Thanks for your help!

And also, is taking the I-95 from Miami north towards the Fort Lauderdale even feasible? (I know it's possible based on the map, but is it a good idea?) Since it's a Saturday, I don't think there will be much traffic, correct me if I'm wrong.

!

Not much traffic on I-95? Hahahaha! Yes, I-95 is the main artery for about 5.5 million people. It ALWAYS has heavy traffic.

I would suggest getting the toll package from your rental car agency and taking the turnpike. There are toll roads everywhere and you will run into one.

Thank you for your link. However, that doesn't answer any of my questions. I am trying to avoid toll roads. I don't want to get a Sunpass at all.

there are no tolls on 95 unless you use the optional 'pay' express lanes.

If driving around Miami and want to avoid tolls, stay off everything that looks like a highway except 95, and there stay away from the express lanes (clearly marked)

list of florida toll roads - google is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_Florida

driving from Miami to Lauderdale via the turnpike is silly anyway .... 95 ain't that bad and when I've visited the turnpike in the last few years I bailed and went back to 95! It has gotten worse than 95 . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 4 months later...
there are no tolls on 95 unless you use the optional 'pay' express lanes.

If driving around Miami and want to avoid tolls, stay off everything that looks like a highway except 95, and there stay away from the express lanes (clearly marked)

list of florida toll roads - google is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_Florida

driving from Miami to Lauderdale via the turnpike is silly anyway .... 95 ain't that bad and when I've visited the turnpike in the last few years I bailed and went back to 95! It has gotten worse than 95 . . .

Just trying to make sure I understand.

If I do pay for the car rental 'sunpass', I won't have to pay for any tolls or use of the express lanes ( that would be for 2 or more passengers in the car ).

Also, there is a 'sunpass' lane on all toll roads.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Ian

I know that there are toll roads in and around the Orlando area but what about driving from Gainesville to FLL? Will any toll roads be encountered that we need to budget for?

Not if you cut east over to 95 south. No tolls. Rt 40 E from Ocala to Ormond Beach is an easy drive..there are several other options.

If you go 75 south to the turnpike and over 528, then you will have tolls.

I have a pre paid pass, so I cannot tell you amounts.

Check the Florida Turnpike web site, you can calculate tolls on your route there.

Just trying to make sure I understand.

If I do pay for the car rental 'sunpass', I won't have to pay for any tolls or use of the express lanes ( that would be for 2 or more passengers in the car ).

Also, there is a 'sunpass' lane on all toll roads.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Ian

correct, if you pay the rental car company fee then feel free to use the SunPass lane where there is one.

Sometimes there isn't a SunPass lane because if you don't have a SunPass the toll goes to "toll by plate" and this is when some rentals companies ZAP you with additional fees