Help! Boston to Venice end of June 2011

cakeordeath

What should I expect to pay...Fuel surcharges seem SO high...almost double the airfare. Never booked this route at this time of year.

Can't help you with specifics, just keep in mind that late June is the beginning of the high tourist season in Europe, and Venice is a major cruise port (and the airlines know that!) so tickets will be priced accordingly. It's a prime example of supply and demand.

As someone who flies out of Boston internationally several times a year, I have been most satisfied with Swiss International's services to Europe for following reasons:

• Compared to LHR, FRA and CDG, Zurich is a largely hassle-free connection point. Not a problem in June, but they also know how to handle snow - there were no delays when I was through there in December the same week that LHR and CDG were shut down for many hours.
  • Unlike other carriers, Swiss, at least for now, still allows 2 free checked bags. They do, however, have a fairly strict limit of 8kg for carry-on.
  • Daily BOS flight departure is around 10 PM, so I don't have to rush and fight Boston rush-hour traffic to get to Logan from NH . Also, the international terminal is not crowded that late in the day and, at least in my experience, check-in and security generally take only about 15 minutes.
  • I'm prejudiced due to my 1/4 Swiss ancestry.

Swiss is currently quoting $1,260, round trip BOS-VCE-BOS, for a Sunday departure in June, and I doubt you'll do much better for June, start of high season.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Ljberkow is right - Air Lingus current schedules do not show service to any destinations in Italy.

Checked a bit further and see that Finair is about the cheapest, just over $1200, but also the longest, with two stops, London and Helsinki, (BOS-LHR segment is AA code share). Swiss at $1260, 1-stop, appears to be the next cheapest. Many other 1-stops available for $1400 and up, plus tax. (Source: Travelocity)

Can't help you with specifics, just keep in mind that late June is the beginning of the high tourist season in Europe, and Venice is a major cruise port (and the airlines know that!) so tickets will be priced accordingly. It's a prime example of supply and demand.

Thanks Meg...that's what I figured.

As someone who flies out of Boston internationally several times a year, I have been most satisfied with Swiss International's services to Europe for following reasons:

• Compared to LHR, FRA and CDG, Zurich is a largely hassle-free connection point. Not a problem in June, but they also know how to handle snow - there were no delays when I was through there in December the same week that LHR and CDG were shut down for many hours.
  • Unlike other carriers, Swiss, at least for now, still allows 2 free checked bags. They do, however, have a fairly strict limit of 8kg for carry-on.
  • Daily BOS flight departure is around 10 PM, so I don't have to rush and fight Boston rush-hour traffic to get to Logan from NH . Also, the international terminal is not crowded that late in the day and, at least in my experience, check-in and security generally take only about 15 minutes.
  • I'm prejudiced due to my 1/4 Swiss ancestry.

Swiss is currently quoting $1,260, round trip BOS-VCE-BOS, for a Sunday departure in June, and I doubt you'll do much better for June, start of high season.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thank you Bob,

We have flown Swiss Air many times to Switzerland and feel the same as you do. I didn't think about the included checked luggage. For four people that makes a difference.

I think we will end up with them just wasn't sure if $1200-$1400 was what we should expect for that route.

We have actually flown to Switzerland and driven to Venice and back...we did it on our honeymoon...with stops along the way of course.

Thank you...we have done lots of checking. I just don't have anything to compare it to.

As stated by another poster, fares to VCE are often very expensive compared to many other European cities. You may want to look at flying into Rome (FCO) and taking the train to Venice. If it's significantly cheaper, this can be a good option.

Archived