Bring Wine or booze onboard?

anxioustoleave

I've read on these boards that HAL does not have a rule or limit about bring alcoholic beverages onboard. However, on their website I found the following. I really confused about what this means. Can we take wine and champagne but not other drinks or are they referring only to drinks purchased either onboard or in port? If anyone knows, please help!

From the HAL site:

"Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages. "

HAL request that you don't bring liquor on board but in actuality they don't make a big deal about it if you pack it in your luggage. The same with Princess. Only NCL seems to make a federal case and sends you to the naughty room to embarras you. I wouldn't sweat it. Never had a problem in 20+ cruises.

I've read on these boards that HAL does not have a rule or limit about bring alcoholic beverages onboard. However, on their website I found the following. I really confused about what this means. Can we take wine and champagne but not other drinks or are they referring only to drinks purchased either onboard or in port? If anyone knows, please help!

From the HAL site:

"Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages. "

Refers to other alcohol. Yes, you can bring wine and champagne. Love that about HAL.

HAL request that you don't bring liquor on board but in actuality they don't make a big deal about it if you pack it in your luggage. The same with Princess. Only NCL seems to make a federal case and sends you to the naughty room to embarras you. I wouldn't sweat it. Never had a problem in 20+ cruises.

Carnival & RC are cracking down on it quite a bit as well.

You can bring as much wine, champagne, bottled water and soda on board the ship as you want -- no limit. Some people have brought on cases.

You can not bring on hard liquor or beer. But you can purchase them through HAL's website or by calling Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 or by calling room service once you are on the ship or by just simply stopping by any bar and buying what you want for your cabin. The alcohol comes in 1 liter size.

I read somewhere here awhile back that there is an $18.00 corkage fee IF you drink the wine in the dining room but that there was not a fee if you kept the bottle in your room. Can anybody confirm that to be true? Thanks!!

Yes, it's all true. All nice restaurants where I live (St Louis, MO ) charge corkage, so it's no big deal. What is a really good deal is the wine card -- I think it's 20 glasses of wine/champagne in the dining room andsome bars. I think it was like $70. You can order it before the cruise, and it will be in your cabin.

Every night, I had a lovely glass of champagne before dinner, the correct wine for the course I had, and then perhaps a glass of wine listening to some music somewhere, or in the show lounge. You can also order room service bottles of wine, and they're aren't expensive. They come with glasses, and they'll open it for you. You could get one or two during a long cruise, like my 15 night Hawaiian in October. Personally, I don't like drinking in the cabin -- I want to people watch. In the d.r. some of the HAL wine selections were new to me, so I just told the wine steward that I wanted something for the middle range, not sweet, not dry.

I saw men carrying entire cases of wine onboard in their arms, and it's fine with HAL. As an airline passenger, though, cab to the dock, I didn't have a chance to buy wine. I did like the wine card a lot.

I can confirm that there is no charge for wine consumed in-room. They'll even hunt down a corkscrew for you if you forget it. Rooms should be equipped with wine glasses.........ours always have been.

What is a really good deal is the wine card -- I think it's 20 glasses of wine/champagne in the dining room andsome bars. I think it was like $70. You can order it before the cruise, and it will be in your cabin.

The wine card you're describing is no longer offered. It's been replaced by a beverage card, which is more universal as to what you can purchase with it, but does not have the same value.

You can order the wine ahead of time from Total Wines online. There is another thread on this if you search Total Wines. It lists the phone number and the person to contact when you land. She will have the wine boxed up and ready for you to pick up. Have the cab take you, run in, pay and off you go.

Can you bring wine and champagne on board while in port, or only initially when you board? How about on a long cruise (28 day round trip San Diego?) If the answer to my first question is no, can you bring more on in Ft. Lauderdale as the ship "turns around" there and takes on (some) new passengers? Thanks!

Can you bring wine and champagne on board while in port, or only initially when you board?

Wine, champagne, soda, and water may be brought aboard in each and every port. There are no limits.

It's a good opportunity to try some of the local wines when taking a longer cruise.

Archived