Disappointment in local TA. Trying to book for March

nudave

Just to give some background - I'm looking to book a southern itinerary cruise mid-March. There are two cruises that fit this, March 13th and March 20th. I've always booked 3-4+ months out. This is cutting it a weeee bit short, but its a surprise for DW.

Here's the issue -

I've always booked through princess.com and being a long time reader here, I've seen TA's could provide a better rate. So, I looked up some local TA's here and inquired. Trying not to go into details, but there is a promo for one of these sailings. I figure all right, lets get this done. They come back with the price with the promo....and its more expensive that princess.com?

Right now, I'm about to rip my hair out. Should I even take the time to negotiate, or just move on elsewhere? If elsewhere, where? I know you cant link TA's here, but suggestions can be sent in a PM to me?

There are no PMs on here that I am aware of..

That said, unless the TA rebates some of their commission or has a block of cabins booked with Princess, there is not much they can do regarding the price (the difference between the two quotes is probably your past passenger discount if any unless you gave the TA your circle number). There's no general TA pricing that you can't get online.

A decent google search should find you some on-line options, although personally I avoid them. I'm more concerned with service than finding the lowest possible price (though I am sure there are discount TAs who do both).

Just to give some background - I'm looking to book a southern itinerary cruise mid-March. There are two cruises that fit this, March 13th and March 20th. I've always booked 3-4+ months out. This is cutting it a weeee bit short, but its a surprise for DW.

Here's the issue -

I've always booked through princess.com and being a long time reader here, I've seen TA's could provide a better rate. So, I looked up some local TA's here and inquired. Trying not to go into details, but there is a promo for one of these sailings. I figure all right, lets get this done. They come back with the price with the promo....and its more expensive that princess.com?

Right now, I'm about to rip my hair out. Should I even take the time to negotiate, or just move on elsewhere? If elsewhere, where? I know you cant link TA's here, but suggestions can be sent in a PM to me?

I would definitely look online. There are a number of agencies listed on this very website who can get you very good rates on princess. The local guys dont always know that much about cruising or have access to the best rates. Go for a cruise only agent. (it doesn't matter where they are). you can also pick up a copy of cruise travel magazine and call a bunch of the advertisers there. They're reputable and will head you in the right direction

I find that if you keep searching you will find some discount TA's online. I have built a list over the years and I just go down it getting quotes.

When we cruise, if someone says they got a great deal, I ask for the TA and add it to my list.

Here's the issue -

move on. Your price should never be more than the Princess website unless it includes some extras like air.

Here's the issue -

Not sure the last time you checked but many agencies get Flash Fare notifications and in checking I found Flash Fares for both these cruises. Flash Fares are for new bookings only, which is obviously your situation. Gail

Not sure the last time you checked but many agencies get Flash Fare notifications and in checking I found Flash Fares for both these cruises. Flash Fares are for new bookings only, which is obviously your situation. Gail

Emailing a "Commodore" Agency listed on Princess.com right now, to see whats up there. I've sent my inquiries to 2 online TA's to see whats up.

The flash fare pricing I've received are cheaper than princess.com, just not as cheap as I was expecting. Less than a dinner at Applebees in fact.

I agree with whoever said that a TA's price should NEVER be higher than booking direct with Princess. A good discount TA should save you at least 10% over the price you see on Princess.com

If it were me, I would keep looking to find one that offers discounts, and possibly onboard credits or gifts on top of that. They are out there, you just have to do some research, and sometimes it can take awhile. Good Luck!

Not sure what type of cabin you are looking at but if it is a $3xx inside cabin (just an example), there is often very little to discount as most of the fare is taxes and fees that can not be rebated back.

If you are looking at $1000 pp cabin, you should get more then the cost of dinner at applebees.

Nudave,

If you look near the top of the Cruise Critic web site page, there is a spot where it says "cruise agencies." Click on that, and get quotes from some of those agencies. I, too, was frustrated that I was paying the full price shown on cruiseline web sites with the local agency I used. I tried a couple of those that advertise on this site, and wow, did I get lucky. I love the deals that this agency offers me, and they are now the only place I even consider booking through. Try a few of them and see what they offer you. You should find one that gives you a deal you like.

There is at least one company that will allow your details to be seen by a number of TA's and they can compete for your business based on what you ask for. I have found this is a great way to start. I am afraid that it is against the rules to tell you on the forum who this is. But I am sure a bit of digging around will find it.

Archived