Chair Hogs, Dress Codes and Smgelling Alcohol.

G&TQ

I might need to find flame resistant suit. But these are just my thought I am throwing out here.

I have been reading and posting on the boards and there are a few common threads that make me scratch my head and wonder if I need to do some research.

Holding chairs with towels or some other item for your use later in the day is against the rules and if you read threads on this topic the normal response is “why can’t people obey the rules”.

Alcohol Smuggling is breaking the rules and is a very heated debate for and against.

But then comes dress codes and most everyone responds that these are recommendations but do as you want it’s your vacation do what you want.

So it’s my vacation – hmm. My vacation do what I want –

Hog at least 5 seats in the prime location for all shows for DH and I- I don’t like to sit next to folks so there are 2 extra seats to be left empty and a seat for my bag and wrap. Why should they be in my lap it’s is my vacation.

If I have traditional dinning I am going to show up 30-45 late or early because that works for my schedule and if I have MDT I need a table for 6 for DH and myself (again I do not like to sit next to strangers and we want to dine alone). And I will ware PJs because there comfy and well I am on vacation. Rules/recommendations don’t matter.

Again Hog 5 lounge chairs in a prime location by the pool all day so at 1 pm we can have the perfect sun for half an hour while topping off the sodas (DH and I got using only one fountain card) with the Rum we smuggled in with our rumrunners.

Walk up to any bar/counter a head of the line and have my desires full filled.

I could go on but won’t since it is all about me.

Now back to reality – When were we as a society taught the rules/recommendation did not apply to us when we are on vacation? Most of the rules/recommendations come from common curtsey and manners. Even my 6 year old son knows there are rules that apply under all circumstances or suffer the consequence.

You might see this twice as I am also posting to the Carnival Thread.

Chair hoggers have an impact on others who are looking for a seat.

What people choose to wear should have no impact on others, unless of course they are wearing your clothes!

TIP,

Respectfully I disagree -

What people ware effects the ambiance of the dinning room.

It also effects parents with childeren who are expected to follow the rules. They will ask "Why to I have to ware this if he doesn't?"

Regards,

The issue is actually quite simple. If you are breaking the rules and impacting someone else's vacation - don't do it. If you are breaking the rules and NOT impacting someone else's vacation - do it at your own risk. This way it is simple.

Chair hog? Never. You are rude and inconsiderate and taking seats/deck chairs away form others thereby impacting their vacation.

Shorts in the MDR? No problem. If the head waiter tells you to go back to your room to put on pants - so be it. If he or she doesn't, how have you impacted anyone's vacation? Not at all.

Smuggling alcohol? No problem. If you get caught your alcohol will be confiscated (possibly disembarked but never heard of this). If you don't get caught, how have you imacted anyone's vacation? Not at all.

To get angry about how others dress and that they may have smuggled some alcohol is just plain silly. Do you get angry at every driver that passes you on the road exceeding the speed limit? If so, you probably have road rage and should not drive.

The differences are simple... some things have an impact on other people. Other things don't. They should not be treated the same.

Fashion changes. Nobody cares if you wear white shoes after Labor Day anymore. If you treat fashion rules the same as common decency, you are saying common decency can change too. It doesn't.

TIP,

Respectfully I disagree -

What people ware effects the ambiance of the dinning room.

It also effects parents with childeren who are expected to follow the rules. They will ask "Why to I have to ware this if he doesn't?"

Regards,

People need to establish early in a child's life that they can not do what others do. When we cruise our sons dress in khakis and a collared shirt for MDR. The family we cruise with lets their children wear athletic pants and hoodies. Do we care? No. Have our sons ever asked "Why can't we dress like that?" No. Why? Because they know the answer will be: "You dress the way WE tell you."

That's a great question... I would think parents - no matter which side of the debate they come down on - would welcome such conversation over dinner.

Why do we get dressed up for dinner?

Are all rules the same?

Are society's rules defined by what is written down, or by common practice and enforcement?

Chair hoggers have an impact on others who are looking for a seat.

What people choose to wear should have no impact on others, unless of course they are wearing your clothes!

Well this is not entirely true...When my wife makes the effort to fix her hair and buy and wear a nice evening dress for formal night...then sits next to a person or people who dont care about the rules and wear jeans or otherwise dont acknowledge the event...this is bothersome. Especially true in the fact that cruise line has built an amazing dinning room, dressed the waiters in formal clothing and are serving lobster and filet of beef..And some dont even care to make even a modest effort to engage in the festivities....This will always be a contention!! You cant force some to have a little class and respect.

People pick and choose what rule they want to follow....

To those that say smuggling alcohol does not effect anyone else.

Why would RCI and the other cruise lines be clamping down on inforcing these rules. Could it be lost revenue? If it is lost revenue, how do you think the cruise line makes up for it? Certinly not by lowering the cost of a drink or the cruise its self. I have seen some photos of people showing off how much alcohol the smuggle. Gallons of the stuf.

So yes I think it effects others.

the issure of the chair hogs will never stop,i was on the explorer last week the pool patrol did not did nothing with chair hogs,they where people saving like 6 chairs from 900 am until noon,and about the MDR dress code people still wear shorts to eat they put rules but they dont enforce it

Why would RCI and the other cruise lines be clamping down on inforcing these rules. Could it be lost revenue? If it is lost revenue, how do you think the cruise line makes up for it? Certinly not by lowering the cost of a drink or the cruise its self. I have seen some photos of people showing off how much alcohol the smuggle. Gallons of the stuf.

How?

Well this is not entirely true...When my wife makes the effort to fix her hair and buy and wear a nice evening dress for formal night...then sits next to a person or people who dont care about the rules and wear jeans or otherwise dont acknowledge the event...this is bothersome. Especially true in the fact that cruise line has built an amazing dinning room, dressed the waiters in formal clothing and are serving lobster and filet of beef..And some dont even care to make even a modest effort to engage in the festivities....This will always be a contention!! You cant force some to have a little class and respect.

People pick and choose what rule they want to follow....

Your wife is dressing up for YOU and for everyone else to see how pretty she looks. If someone doesn't care how they look, how does it impact your enjoyment of dinner?

Well this is not entirely true...When my wife makes the effort to fix her hair and buy and wear a nice evening dress for formal night...then sits next to a person or people who dont care about the rules and wear jeans or otherwise dont acknowledge the event...this is bothersome.
Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&TQ

How?

Maybe by causing the cruise line to increase the cost of everyone else's drinks?

Maybe by causing the cruise line to increase the cost of everyone else's drinks?

That makes no sense. If the cruise line is unaware that someone has smuggled, then they are not aware of the lost revenue. You also assume that if people didn't smuggle they would spend the money on RCI's alcohol. Some might just go without. Believe me, the cruise line makes a bundle on drinking and gambling without having to increase drink prices.

I do not remember seeing this in your Oasis food review.

Was that served in the Windjammer on formal nights when people didn't want to dress up and go to the MDR?

OH !!! THIS IS TOO FUNNY ROFL!!!!!

Thanks for the comic relief!

Your wife is dressing up for YOU and for everyone else to see how pretty she looks. If someone doesn't care how they look, how does it impact your enjoyment of dinner?

There are so many levels to answering that question.....Save us both the bother.

Bottom line............ its your vacation enjoy yourself.

:)

I have a big family and travel with them a lot. I learned years ago to not let anybody else's actions determine the outcome of my vacation experience. ITS YOURS! YOU make it what you want it to be NOT someone else. I don't think that i have ever been able to sit by the pool. Yet i have never had a bad time.

Archived