Chair Hogs, Dress Codes and Smgelling Alcohol.

G&TQ

I love watching people try to split hairs here. It doesn't matter if it impacts somebody else or not. It comes down to one thing:

Do you respect the rules? Do you respect law and order?

Before I came to this thread, I was reading a VoS review where the person was incredulous that the ship's security and bar staff wouldn't let their minor children consume alcohol or be out after the 1AM curfew that's in place for minors, and that from the purser's desk on up they couldn't get the rules changed just for their kids.

Some people think the rules apply to everyone else. But they were put in place for a reason.

Is it really that much of a hardship to dress nicely for dinner? If you don't want to buy a drink on board, is it *that* hard to wait until you're off the ship at a port of call to buy cheap liquor? Is your vacation really ruined if your minor children have to obey the laws of the USA while they're on board and wait until they're off the ship to have alcohol? If you're busy away from the pool desk, does it really matter if someone who is on the pool deck uses a lounge chair?

If you can't follow the rules, I think you're an (profanity redacted) and I don't like to vacation with (profanity redacted). So, is it really that hard to not be an (profanity redacted)?

I love watching people try to split hairs here. It doesn't matter if it impacts somebody else or not. It comes down to one thing:

Do you respect the rules? Do you respect law and order?

Before I came to this thread, I was reading a VoS review where the person was incredulous that the ship's security and bar staff wouldn't let their minor children consume alcohol or be out after the 1AM curfew that's in place for minors, and that from the purser's desk on up they couldn't get the rules changed just for their kids.

Some people think the rules apply to everyone else. But they were put in place for a reason.

Is it really that much of a hardship to dress nicely for dinner? If you don't want to buy a drink on board, is it *that* hard to wait until you're off the ship at a port of call to buy cheap liquor? Is your vacation really ruined if your minor children have to obey the laws of the USA while they're on board and wait until they're off the ship to have alcohol? If you're busy away from the pool desk, does it really matter if someone who is on the pool deck uses a lounge chair?

If you can't follow the rules, I think you're an (profanity redacted) and I don't like to vacation with (profanity redacted). So, is it really that hard to not be an (profanity redacted)?

You are citing some very extreme examples. Even so, how does any of this directly affect YOUR vacation?

I agree with this statement. I ultimately don't let the way other people dress OR NOT, affect my vacation, but on formal night part of the experience of the evening is to see everyone all dressed up, it's such a rare occasion. It really does take away from it when others dress down too much. I hardly expect everyone to be in Tuxes and Really formal gowns, just nice, and it seems it just keeps getting more lax. I think some standard should be required in the main dining on formal nights at least. If you don't want to participate the Windjammer is available. This isn't meant to be derogatory, I realize it's everyone's individual vacation and you absolutely have the right to not dress up if you choose not to, it just shouldn't be allowed in the main dining room and that's on the staff to upkeep really.

If it's getting more lax, am I going to be really over-dressed in a long gown? It's not Scarlett O'Hara or anything but it's still a long gown.

If it's getting more lax, am I going to be really over-dressed in a long gown? It's not Scarlett O'Hara or anything but it's still a long gown.

You will look great and fit in well. There will be many different levels of dress some very formal, some semi-formal, some casual. Enjoy!

Well Michelle... you sure are a beautiful woman...I bet you always look your very best at dinner! To me it boils down to class and good taste.

I agree that it boils down to class and good taste. Keeping in mind, however, that a specific styling of clothing doesn't necessarily equate to either.

I am not new to cruiseing, and I have to say that this an intresting thread...

If you save a chair and are just getting a drink or are in the pool no big deal if you are saving it all day while you are doing other things BIG problem, and very RUDE....

Smuggling alchol, NO BIG DEAL, I have done this and still spent pleanty on mixed drinks from the bar.....

Formal dress... If you want to do it, if you dont than DONT !!! I dont think its a big deal as long as you are dressed in a tastful mannor, shorts no shorts who cares.... and for all of you who are going on about your kids.... well I have kids and if they were to ask me a qusetion like why do we have to do it when they are not,,,, this is what Id say,,,,, Because that is what our family is doing.!

2 Disney Cruises

1 Carnival Cruise

1 RC Cruise :)

Originally Posted by storm1of4 viewpost.gif

Well Michelle... you sure are a beautiful woman...I bet you always look your very best at dinner! To me it boils down to class and good taste.

I agree that it boils down to class and good taste. Keeping in mind, however, that a specific styling of clothing doesn't necessarily equate to either.

The class shows when you dress appropriately for the occassion. The good taste shows in your style of clothing and how you hold youreself. We have taken several cruises...24. We have 4 kids. My three girls are always dressed beautiful at dinners. Dressed even nicer for Chops and formal nights....They love it... while getting ready for dinner they order room service, listen to music and do each others hair... its an event. My son likes it too. In our daily life we dont have time anad the $$$to get formal at home. As a parent it makes me so proud and joyful to see the kids across the table looking so beautful and particpating!!!!:):):)

P.S. Judging from your picture and your sytle of writing...you will have a great time and look fantastic!

Originally Posted by storm1of4 viewpost.gif

The class shows when you dress appropriately for the occassion. The good taste shows in your style of clothing and how you hold youreself. We have taken several cruises...24. We have 4 kids. My three girls are always dressed beautiful at dinners. Dressed even nicer for Chops and formal nights....They love it... while getting ready for dinner they order room service, listen to music and do each others hair... its an event. My son likes it too. In our daily life we dont have time anad the $$$to get formal at home. As a parent it makes me so proud and joyful to see the kids across the table looking so beautful and particpating!!!!:):):)

P.S. Judging from your picture and your sytle of writing...you will have a great time and look fantastic!

I understand the whole "event" aspect :). I love to dress up and also don't get ample opportunities to do so which is why we're choosing to go the very formal route too.

That's sweet that you feel so much pride when you look at your family across the table and I suppose I can understand a bit more now why you would prefer to not sit with those who choose to wear jeans, etc. :).

I know for a fact that every cruise line LOSES revenue due to smuggling of alcohol. It is an indisputable fact.

And businesses are not in business to LOSE money. By eliminating smuggling or reducing it, revenue and profits increase.

Simple business economics, reduce costs, increase efficiencies, maximize profits.

It is indisputable, smuggling alcohol reduces revenue and profitability and that is reason alcohol is not permitted to be brought on board.

Hey neighbor! I agree to.....must be a philly thing.

I might need to find flame resistant suit. But these are just my thought I am throwing out here.

I have been reading and posting on the boards and there are a few common threads that make me scratch my head and wonder if I need to do some research.

Holding chairs with towels or some other item for your use later in the day is against the rules and if you read threads on this topic the normal response is “why can’t people obey the rules”.

Alcohol Smuggling is breaking the rules and is a very heated debate for and against.

But then comes dress codes and most everyone responds that these are recommendations but do as you want it’s your vacation do what you want.

So it’s my vacation – hmm. My vacation do what I want –

Hog at least 5 seats in the prime location for all shows for DH and I- I don’t like to sit next to folks so there are 2 extra seats to be left empty and a seat for my bag and wrap. Why should they be in my lap it’s is my vacation.

If I have traditional dinning I am going to show up 30-45 late or early because that works for my schedule and if I have MDT I need a table for 6 for DH and myself (again I do not like to sit next to strangers and we want to dine alone). And I will ware PJs because there comfy and well I am on vacation. Rules/recommendations don’t matter.

Again Hog 5 lounge chairs in a prime location by the pool all day so at 1 pm we can have the perfect sun for half an hour while topping off the sodas (DH and I got using only one fountain card) with the Rum we smuggled in with our rumrunners.

Walk up to any bar/counter a head of the line and have my desires full filled.

I could go on but won’t since it is all about me.

Now back to reality – When were we as a society taught the rules/recommendation did not apply to us when we are on vacation? Most of the rules/recommendations come from common curtsey and manners. Even my 6 year old son knows there are rules that apply under all circumstances or suffer the consequence.

You might see this twice as I am also posting to the Carnival Thread.

Wow! I am scared to ask if you are serious or is this a joke? If serious, then stay home. If you don't want people sitting next to you then what are you doing on a cruise with a couple thousand people? Lol Obviously cruising or a resort environment is not meant for you! It's my vacation too!

Wow! I am scared to ask if you are serious or is this a joke? If serious, then stay home. If you don't want people sitting next to you then what are you doing on a cruise with a couple thousand people? Lol Obviously cruising or a resort environment is not meant for you! It's my vacation too!

It was more of an extreme example of what can happen if you take the "It's my vacation I will do what I want."

I believe in following the rules and I do my best to make others comfortable.

If I wanted to sit with people who dressed inapproprately,drank smuggled liquor and hogged seats i would be going to Nascar events not cruising.

Geez please do not compare the NASCAR fans to some cruisers. The NASCAR fans have good taste :)

Hank

I might need to find flame resistant suit. But these are just my thought I am throwing out here.

I have been reading and posting on the boards and there are a few common threads that make me scratch my head and wonder if I need to do some research.

Holding chairs with towels or some other item for your use later in the day is against the rules and if you read threads on this topic the normal response is “why can’t people obey the rules”.

Alcohol Smuggling is breaking the rules and is a very heated debate for and against.

But then comes dress codes and most everyone responds that these are recommendations but do as you want it’s your vacation do what you want.

So it’s my vacation – hmm. My vacation do what I want –

Hog at least 5 seats in the prime location for all shows for DH and I- I don’t like to sit next to folks so there are 2 extra seats to be left empty and a seat for my bag and wrap. Why should they be in my lap it’s is my vacation.

If I have traditional dinning I am going to show up 30-45 late or early because that works for my schedule and if I have MDT I need a table for 6 for DH and myself (again I do not like to sit next to strangers and we want to dine alone). And I will ware PJs because there comfy and well I am on vacation. Rules/recommendations don’t matter.

Again Hog 5 lounge chairs in a prime location by the pool all day so at 1 pm we can have the perfect sun for half an hour while topping off the sodas (DH and I got using only one fountain card) with the Rum we smuggled in with our rumrunners.

Walk up to any bar/counter a head of the line and have my desires full filled.

I could go on but won’t since it is all about me.

Now back to reality – When were we as a society taught the rules/recommendation did not apply to us when we are on vacation? Most of the rules/recommendations come from common curtsey and manners. Even my 6 year old son knows there are rules that apply under all circumstances or suffer the consequence.

You might see this twice as I am also posting to the Carnival Thread.

I am pretty sure this guy is joking...........However, what he is joking about happens............People like this guy should not stay home... he is most likely very polite......The others spoken about...well they might do better at Six Flaggs. :D

My rule of thumb is that a) I dress in a way that makes me feel happy and comfortable, and b) that honors the host, simultaneously. I generally follow the suggested dress unless there is some rare reason that I can't (luggage didn't show up yet, for example...)

As I stated on another thread, some people in dress code look terrible and others that are not look like a million bucks.

Now for a whole new kettle of fish...I don't wear a tux on a cruise. I wear a tux on 3 occasions in my life: 1) a wedding (that I am IN), 2) a charity ball, or 3) as a performer in a classical music piece. Since none of these, as of yet, have applied to my cruises, I don't break out the tux (although I have one).

We had the rare opportunity to go out to dinner in NYC the night after my last cruise. DH and I stayed with some friends in Manhattan and they took us out to a schwanky NYC eatery; one of those places that requires MONTHS of advance reservations. The bill for 4 totaled one quarter of the price of the cruise. ( :eek: Gulp!) This is not our normal life...we live in a very rural area and don't have these kinds of restaurants but, hey, our well-to-friends insisted on treating...yeah! This is one of the finest places to eat in the city...nary a tux in sight. Plenty of jeans, though. The food, the wine, and the conversation were what mattered.

I don't disapprove if someone else wears a tux but it doesn't improve my experience. Jeans do not detract from my experience.

I plan on wearing "Going to church" style dresses each night on our FOS Sailing later this month. Are they long, fancy, elaborate dresses? No. But they are clean, tidy, pretty apparel that I will be comfortable in and will look nice, and items that I already own. Sorry, after spending a lot of money for this cruise, I cannot justify purchasing a formal gown that will be worn once.

This is an interesting discussion on morality, and I've read with interest what everyone has to say, although I don't find the situations to always be black-and-white.

I would very much hope not to give offense to others, or cause them discomfort. And I also hope that I don't take away from their cruise experience in order to make mine more convenient ... such as hogging chairs on deck or in the Windjammer, cutting in line, etc.

I do believe that dressing in what seems to be intentionally casual way on formal night has some meaning that can be offensive. On a formal night on our last cruise, we sat across from someone in MTD who was wearing a white undershirt. His wife, in contrast, apparently was not raised by reptiles, and wore a nice dress. True to form, he was irritating and abrasive in his conversation. With the t-shirt, he seemed to me flipping off those who wanted to have a pleasant evening dressed more nicely, and thus seemed to try to make it a little less pleasant on purpose. That seems offensive. We were not in highly formal clothes, as we've grown tired of that, but we do dress nicely so as to be respectful.

The question of obeying all the rules of the cruise line seem more problematic. Obviously rules concerning health and safety have to be obeyed, and doing otherwise would be antisocial. But rules created solely to make more money for the cruise line are not as clear-cut, IMHO. I don't draw a bright shining line that says bringing alcohol on board for private consumption in the room is immoral, even with the argument that it reduces the ship's profitability. I plead guilty to walking out of a diamond lounge with a glass of "free" wine, which may have reduced the ship's bottom line, but I also admit that I don't feel guilty about that. On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of reaching behind the bar and taking a glass of wine when the bartender's back was turned.

Thus, I think some of these situations can be complex morally. However, I agree with the OP in general, that it is pretty unpleasant to see people who simply are egocentric jerks and who make others around them have to tolerate their self-involvement.

We may convince the captain to bring back keelhauling. I think a lot of us would pay to see it, and that could significantly increase RCI's profitability.

Archived