Chair Hogs, Dress Codes and Smgelling Alcohol.

G&TQ

This is an interesting discussion on morality, and I've read with interest what everyone has to say, although I don't find the situations to always be black-and-white.

I would very much hope not to give offense to others, or cause them discomfort. And I also hope that I don't take away from their cruise experience in order to make mine more convenient ... such as hogging chairs on deck or in the Windjammer, cutting in line, etc.

I do believe that dressing in what seems to be intentionally casual way on formal night has some meaning that can be offensive. On a formal night on our last cruise, we sat across from someone in MTD who was wearing a white undershirt. His wife, in contrast, apparently was not raised by reptiles, and wore a nice dress. True to form, he was irritating and abrasive in his conversation. With the t-shirt, he seemed to me flipping off those who wanted to have a pleasant evening dressed more nicely, and thus seemed to try to make it a little less pleasant on purpose. That seems offensive. We were not in highly formal clothes, as we've grown tired of that, but we do dress nicely so as to be respectful.

The question of obeying all the rules of the cruise line seem more problematic. Obviously rules concerning health and safety have to be obeyed, and doing otherwise would be antisocial. But rules created solely to make more money for the cruise line are not as clear-cut, IMHO. I don't draw a bright shining line that says bringing alcohol on board for private consumption in the room is immoral, even with the argument that it reduces the ship's profitability. I plead guilty to walking out of a diamond lounge with a glass of "free" wine, which may have reduced the ship's bottom line, but I also admit that I don't feel guilty about that. On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of reaching behind the bar and taking a glass of wine when the bartender's back was turned.

Thus, I think some of these situations can be complex morally. However, I agree with the OP in general, that it is pretty unpleasant to see people who simply are egocentric jerks and who make others around them have to tolerate their self-involvement.

We may convince the captain to bring back keelhauling. I think a lot of us would pay to see it, and that could significantly increase RCI's profitability.

Easy Tiger....KEELHAULING? Now that is a bit extreme......well maybe for wearing jeans in the MDR or chair hogging...as I dont do that. But everything else ok.................

Good lord! Reading through this thread makes me wonder if I even want to go on a cruise! I'm planning on wearing a long dress for formal night but I could care less if someone else was at my table wearing jeans - it may make them feel out of place when they find themselves surrounded by others that did dress up but those people certainly aren't going to have an effect on me and how I feel. Provided people have decent table manners, I say let them enjoy their vacation as they see fit.

People who seem overly concerned with what others (complete strangers!) do or don't do really need to find something more intellectual to occupy their minds! In fact, I find the catty/opinionated/boorish attitudes far less appealing than someone sitting at my table in a pair of jeans.

Just my 2 cents!

couldn't AGREE more Michele! well said

Originally Posted by storm1of4 viewpost.gif

Well Michelle... you sure are a beautiful woman...I bet you always look your very best at dinner! To me it boils down to class and good taste.

The class shows when you dress appropriately for the occassion. The good taste shows in your style of clothing and how you hold youreself. We have taken several cruises...24. We have 4 kids. My three girls are always dressed beautiful at dinners. Dressed even nicer for Chops and formal nights....They love it... while getting ready for dinner they order room service, listen to music and do each others hair... its an event. My son likes it too. In our daily life we dont have time anad the $$$to get formal at home. As a parent it makes me so proud and joyful to see the kids across the table looking so beautful and particpating!!!!:):):)

P.S. Judging from your picture and your sytle of writing...you will have a great time and look fantastic!

The class shows when you dress appropriately...: You're kidding right???

I'm going on my 1st cruise soon and as far as dressing is concerned--I have no problem wearing a nice sundress on formal nights and putting a cute little dress on my 4 year old but my husband doesn't like to dress up and will likely wear what he feels comfortable in. And why shouldn't he? He works hard all year long and we're paying good money to go on this cruise and we'll enjoy it as we see fit. My understanding is the dress 'codes' are not a rule but suggested attire. If anyone in the dining room is offended by the way someone in my party is dressed--believe me it won't ruin my vacation!

And class is not demonstrated by attire alone. My DH is a kind, personable man who is well liked by everyone who meets him. After busting his butt all winter long he's going to enjoy this well-earned vacation in whatever attire he wants. that's it.

I'm going on my 1st cruise soon and as far as dressing is concerned--I have no problem wearing a nice sundress on formal nights and putting a cute little dress on my 4 year old but my husband doesn't like to dress up and will likely wear what he feels comfortable in. And why shouldn't he? He works hard all year long and we're paying good money to go on this cruise and we'll enjoy it as we see fit. My understanding is the dress 'codes' are not a rule but suggested attire. If anyone in the dining room is offended by the way someone in my party is dressed--believe me it won't ruin my vacation!

And class is not demonstrated by attire alone. My DH is a kind, personable man who is well liked by everyone who meets him. After busting his butt all winter long he's going to enjoy this well-earned vacation in whatever attire he wants. that's it.

Well I'd like to hear from the person who doesnt earn their $$$ by busting the butt and doesnt really deserve a vacation....I suspect youre not so special in this regard...sorry

Social deviance - departure or deviation of an individual from society's unwritten rules (norms).

You have to look at this as majority vs minority. Who is doing the complaining?

Dresscode and alcohol smuggling is a "problem" for a minority of passengers. That's why the rules are not enforced or are lax.

Imagine if things were reversed. IE: Dresscode was strictly enforced and you had to go through TSA style security to board the ship so that no alcohol or liquids 3oz or larger would make it on the ship. Who would complain then? RCL is a business and they make business decisions based on the majority of their customer base.

If you want to be in a majority that wants everyone dressed to the nines in the MDR, no alcohol smuggled, etc, then perhaps another cruiseline would be best? Celebrity? Cunard? etc.

Archived