Resident rates...how do I know which states apply?

momof4girls

I was checking on the price of my cruise, and the resident rate is cheaper than what I paid. IF my state qualified would I be eligible for OBC for the difference in price from what I paid? How would I find out if my state (or my friend's state) qualified? When I book a cruise exactly like the one we are taking, picking a cabin in the same area, the price is lower. Does that mean that one of our state's qualifies?

Here is what it said when using the "Resident Rate" for pricing:

Residents - At least one person in the stateroom must be a resident of an eligible state to book this rate.

I was checking on the price of my cruise, and the resident rate is cheaper than what I paid. IF my state qualified would I be eligible for OBC for the difference in price from what I paid? How would I find out if my state (or my friend's state) qualified? When I book a cruise exactly like the one we are taking, picking a cabin in the same area, the price is lower. Does that mean that one of our state's qualifies?

Here is what it said when using the "Resident Rate" for pricing:

Residents - At least one person in the stateroom must be a resident of an eligible state to book this rate.

At least one person in Cabin has to be a resident for the resident rate. You need to do a Cruise Search (Advanced Search) from the Home page and select your state of residency. As you follow the Cruise Search to your cruise, if the Resident rate is listed in the list of rates being offered, then it's for your state (there HAVE been problems with errors inj these listings) - then you have to continue the search for your specific Category. You can also use the FareViewer. Only One person in the cabin has to qualify to get the Resident rate.

PVP's and TA's also have access to a current list of States with Residency rates being offered.

ken

At least one person in Cabin has to be a resident for the resident rate. You need to do a Cruise Search (Advanced Search) from the Home page and select your state of residency. As you follow the Cruise Search to your cruise, if the Resident rate is listed in the list of rates being offered, then it's for your state (there HAVE been problems with errors inj these listings) - then you have to continue the search for your specific Category. You can also use the FareViewer. Only One person in the cabin has to qualify to get the Resident rate.

PVP's and TA's also have access to a current list of States with Residency rates being offered.

ken

Thank you! SUPER helpful! When I tried it using my friend's state, the rate was the higher rate. But when I switched it to my state, the low rate (for residents) popped up. Fingers crossed on getting some OBC! :cool:

ken

That certainly is true when booking the fare, but when sending in ES claim forms they are much less interested in checking where you are actually from.

That certainly is true when booking the fare, but when sending in ES claim forms they are much less interested in checking where you are actually from.

This is called FRAUD. I do hope Carnival listens to my suggestion to verify your residence when attempting to board and deny you boarding without compensation if you lied about your home state.

I recently booked a cruise using the resident rate. I put in my state when in the advanced options and the prices changed (went much lower in my case). I read what is said after I booked and decided to call Carnival just to make sure there would be no surprises. She checked and said yes, my state was good for that rate. I did ask but she could not really answer why this is just not automatic? When you enter the names of the people in your booking, you enter their address.... seems to me that should be enough verification.

This is called FRAUD. I do hope Carnival listens to my suggestion to verify your residence when attempting to board and deny you boarding without compensation if you lied about your home state.

Uh huh, let me know when they start doing that. I have never tried to hide where I lived, I have talked to folks at wherever they approve ES forms and simply said 'I saw an advertised rate for missouri residents that is lower than I am paying'. They have told me as long as it's an advertised rate I could claim against it. Right or wrong, that's what they have done several times now.

Uh huh, let me know when they start doing that. I have never tried to hide where I lived, I have talked to folks at wherever they approve ES forms and simply said 'I saw an advertised rate for missouri residents that is lower than I am paying'. They have told me as long as it's an advertised rate I could claim against it. Right or wrong, that's what they have done several times now.

The rules state that is has to be a rate that YOU are eligible for.

Well, perhaps I have just fallen through the cracks mulitle times. I certainly remain un-racked with guilt.

Until the one time you are boarding and they catch that you are not qualified/eligible for a rate you were provided i.e. resident....then they nail you for $$$ for the difference in pricing. This has occurred on RCI ships regarding resident rates where people tried to "sneak thru the cracks" and got a surprise request for additional funds before being allowed to board.

I do hope that you do get caught falsifying info to the cruiseline and have to pay the consequences for doing so one day.

Until the one time you are boarding and they catch that you are not qualified/eligible for a rate you were provided i.e. resident....then they nail you for $$$ for the difference in pricing. This has occurred on RCI ships regarding resident rates where people tried to "sneak thru the cracks" and got a surprise request for additional funds before being allowed to board.

I do hope that you do get caught falsifying info to the cruiseline and have to pay the consequences for doing so one day.

You did not understand my post. Obviously they would (and have) done this if you booked a trip and said you were from georgia or wherever, and then you checked in and you were from Alaska. I am not saying to book under a state you aren't from. I only said that you could place ES claims against those same state rates. I guess if they did reverse the 50-100 OBC I got from that apon check in, it wouldn't be a big deal, but hasn't happened yet!:)

Well bummer. :( It was denied.

Your Early Saver price protection request has been denied as this rate was not found for the 6C stateroom category in which you are booked.

I don't know how to tell which category the available staterooms are in? Or for that matter, I had no idea how to tell which category my current stateroom was in?

ETA: OK...so I went onto the deck plans area and saw that I am in a 6c category. However, I could book a room in that same category for cheaper now than when I first booked. My question is...is it because the advertised rate ($219) is for a different category? Even though when booking through that rate I can switch to a higher category and pay cheaper?

I do hope that you do get caught falsifying info to the cruiseline and have to pay the consequences for doing so one day.[/quote]

Again, obviously you did not read my post. I have never falsified anything, infact I have been more than forthcoming with the ES agents when I asked if I could match against such a advertised state rate. If they had turned me down I would not have been upset, but I certainly don't feel bad about getting approved.

Hey folks not to over simplify but I thought if the cruise left from a Florida port and you lived in the state of Florida you were eligible for a resident rate. Same goes for other states with ports of depature. I cannot imagine it being anything else in mho

The best rates we see here are pack and go rates, my pvp has shown us rates as low as 399 for 7 nights and 189 for 4 nights. Inside but you cannot eat that cheaply. :)

Have a great weekend

Hey folks not to over simplify but I thought if the cruise left from a Florida port and you lived in the state of Florida you were eligible for a resident rate. Same goes for other states with ports of depature. I cannot imagine it being anything else in mho

The best rates we see here are pack and go rates, my pvp has shown us rates as low as 399 for 7 nights and 189 for 4 nights. Inside but you cannot eat that cheaply. :)

Have a great weekend

Not always true. I know Missouri often has a great instate rate, I have no idea why.

momof4girls: When you filled out the price protection form did you put in the price for a 6C or did you put in the price for a 6A? You need to put in the price for the same category you have with the same number of people. When I check the fareviewer it shows a 6C at $488 for two people using the Resident rate (Missouri) for the Facination on 1/27/2011. Is this lower than you paid? If so submit the form again showing the rate for a 6C.

Use this: http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer

Have a great weekend

Irt doesn't have anything to do with the state/port that the cruise departs from - it's simply the state that you reside in. For example, there might be a Residency rate offered for the state of Idaho - that rate applies to anyone that resides in Idaho. ken

Well bummer. :( It was denied.

Your Early Saver price protection request has been denied as this rate was not found for the 6C stateroom category in which you are booked.

I don't know how to tell which category the available staterooms are in? Or for that matter, I had no idea how to tell which category my current stateroom was in?

ETA: OK...so I went onto the deck plans area and saw that I am in a 6c category. However, I could book a room in that same category for cheaper now than when I first booked. My question is...is it because the advertised rate ($219) is for a different category? Even though when booking through that rate I can switch to a higher category and pay cheaper?

First you have to confirm what Category you are booked - your Booking confirmation should confirm that you are a CAT 6C and the cruisefare (not including Govt fees and taxes!) that you paid.

Next you have to follow the Cruise Search & Booking process to the final cruisefare specifically for a CAT 6C. If that Fare is less than you paid, with Early Saver you're entitled to a price adjustment for the difference.

Similarly, if there's a "special" where you could for instance book a CAT 6A and be upgraded to a CAT 6C, then in effect you could book the CAT 6C for the price of a CAT 6A, and are entitled to the difference. You might have to point this out in these words in your claim form.

Also, if the fare for a CAT 6D (for instance) were to fall below your CAT 6C fare, then you can upgrade and get the diference.

Or, if the fare for a 6D (for instance) is only a bit more than your CAT 6C fare, you can generally pay to upgrade to the CAT 6D.

But first you need to check your booking documentation make sure you ARE booked in a CAT 6C, and follow the booking process all the way to the fare for CAT 6C specifically.

ken

momof4girls: When you filled out the price protection form did you put in the price for a 6C or did you put in the price for a 6A? You need to put in the price for the same category you have with the same number of people. When I check the fareviewer it shows a 6C at $488 for two people using the Resident rate (Missouri) for the Facination on 1/27/2011. Is this lower than you paid? If so submit the form again showing the rate for a 6C.

Use this: http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer

Thank you! I had filled it out wrong. I just sent in a correctly filled out form, so I will hold out hope...

Well, I'm military and while I'm stationed and own a home Colorado, I actually an Ohio resident. Which state can I use to check rates? Or can I qualify for both?

How about my husband, who also lives in Colorado with me, but has Arizona residency (still has the driver's license)?

Archived