What is the difference between these suites?

nunuc2000

Hi guys,

Difference between these suites is mainly location, which is percieved to be better as you go from VS to PS to PH. There are subtle differences in balcony and cabin sizes but layout is the same.

I'm pretty sure the OS is larger than the other 3.

In my opinion, the aft VS suites, while cheaper and percieved to be in a less desirable location are the absolute pick of them all by far.

Greg

Location, location, location. Also, on some ships, some of the balconies are very narrow.

The Cat. VSs have a 12" beam on the balcony. It's still a huge balcony with a table for 4 and chairs, 2 full size loungers and a side table with 2 glass sliding doors.

If you prefer no sun, then go with those suites on the aft.

The GS is the big one and is not anywhere similar to the other suite categories. The rest of them are basically the exact same layout with slight differences in balcony & cabin size.

Location, location, location. Also, on some ships, some of the balconies are very narrow.

The Cat. VSs have a 12" beam on the balcony. It's still a huge balcony with a table for 4 and chairs, 2 full size loungers and a side table with 2 glass sliding doors.

If you prefer no sun, then go with those suites on the aft.

The GS is the big one and is not anywhere similar to the other suite categories. The rest of them are basically the exact same layout with slight differences in balcony & cabin size.

Do they even make the GS suites avail to the general public?

Yes, the GS is open to the public but there is only 1 per sailing so they almost always book up waaaaay in advance.

We were in VS last month on the Sapphire. It had a fantastic, deep balcony with 2 lounge chairs and 4 chairs and full size table. The only downside to the aft suites is that there is a LOT more motion back there and when you dock, you really feel the thrusters. It's like sleeping on a giant vibrator that turns on at 6am each morning for about 20 minutes.

I would still sail in an aft suite again in a heart beat, BUT this next cruise we are trying a PH suite, which is midship and has less motion and less vibration. I do think the PH suites have a slightly smaller balcony (less deep). But their midship location will be very convenient.

Katherine

Yes, the GS is open to the public but there is only 1 per sailing so they almost always book up waaaaay in advance.

We were in VS last month on the Sapphire. It had a fantastic, deep balcony with 2 lounge chairs and 4 chairs and full size table. The only downside to the aft suites is that there is a LOT more motion back there and when you dock, you really feel the thrusters. It's like sleeping on a giant vibrator that turns on at 6am each morning for about 20 minutes.

I would still sail in an aft suite again in a heart beat, BUT this next cruise we are trying a PH suite, which is midship and has less motion and less vibration. I do think the PH suites have a slightly smaller balcony (less deep). But their midship location will be very convenient.

Katherine

I've also wondered about the GS suites. One evening with nothing to do, I searched and every GS I found was waitlisted. My personal feeling is that they save them for "special people".

LOL I did the same thing!! :D That's why I was asking.:p

Katherine

The major problem with the suites located midships is the noise from the Lido Deck directly above. Plenty of scraping of chairs & sunbeds of a morning and evening when the deck staff are doing their thing.

Also, the balcony's are very very narrow by comparison the the aft suites.

LOL I did the same thing!! :D That's why I was asking.:p

When I booked my cruise on-line(which was the first week it came available, I was able to book the GS on the Golden, I desided on the OS on deck 12 instead. I notice the GS was still available for several weeks before it went on the waitlist, and on the cruise after mine the GS is still available to book on-line today. I don't think they hold them for special people, you just have to beat the other guy to it, because there is only one.

Lets please keep it a SECRET how great the aft suites are. I've found that they all have been booked on a couple cruises I wanted to go on.

I will say that the wake noise and vibrations all night long could drive some people nuts. It also is very hard to talk with guests while on the balcony underway - you have to yell to be heard. We are boaters so we love it.

Everyone is a little different - some will enjoy it and others won't.

I've also wondered about the GS suites. One evening with nothing to do, I searched and every GS I found was waitlisted. My personal feeling is that they save them for "special people".

We originally booked the GS Sapphire for Feb. 2011, and I forget when I booked it, I'm thinking Jan. 2010. Then in May 2010 we decided to take another sailing in December 2010 and couldn't afford two suite cruises so close together. I kept watching for when Princess would open up fall 2011 bookings, and the minute they did I asked our TA to move our reservation from Feb. to November 2011. The GS was available. I checked the bookings two weeks later and saw the OS was taken. So yes, it's open to the first person who books it! (We are NOT special people as this is our second cruise on Princess.)

I also kept an eye on our previous Feb. suite reservation, and someone grabbed the GS we gave up.

They do not.

Just anyone who is willing to pay $$$$.

We had a VS on the Emerald a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. We have booked its mirror image on the Crown this June. A couple of weeks before sailing they tried to "upgrade" us to a mid-ship PS (or was it a PH?) but I refused and I'm glad that I did after hearing about the noise levels, smaller balcony, etc.

Although the VS balcony is covered you are only in shade if the sun is overhead. In Europe, for example, it tends to be at a lower angle so depending on the orientation of the ship you can get sun for much of the day.

The only snag is the long walk to anywhere. When we ordered lunch in the suite the waiters would comment on how far it was to the kitchen, possibly after a bigger tip.

The PH suites that are on Carribe deck (Sapphire Princess for example) have a whole deck of cabins above them so they don't get the annoying noise from the pool decks above. I guess it varies from ship to ship.

I agree the aft suites are really far from everything. Although I find the back elevators are more helpful than the midship ones since they lead to the buffets and dining rooms in the aft of the ship. Also, we use the kids club a lot and those are aft as well...

Katherine

Archived