Is there a point at which it is courteous to move from fixed to open dining?

BoiseIdahoSpud

Hmmm, I never quite understand WHY some thinks eating at Lido would diminish the vacation experiences - must it be waited on at the table be part of a vacation experience? I have to scratch my head...

We always request Table for Two at MDR - dont care to socialize in dinner time with fellow passengers. Occasional lunch time sharing stories are good enough for us. Besides, it seems to us many dining mates tend to be a bit on the nosy side. Just sayin.

I totally agree!!

We were probably 2 of those 'rude' passengers who never turned up to the table of 8 we were assigned to.

We did not request the table of 8, it was allocated by the TA and we had so many other important things to take care of prior to leaving, we never got around to requesting it be changed.

Once onboard, we mainly dined in the Lido, or requested a table for 2 as 'walk-ins' on 2 occasions in the MDR with no problems.

I don't see that it's such a big deal, but do understand that those who wish to meet new people or are travelling solo could be negatively affected - and for that, I feel bad.

We have learnt from experience now and have requested a table for 2 on the next cruise and hopefully this time we will only bother each other;)

I totally agree!!

We were probably 2 of those 'rude' passengers who never turned up to the table of 8 we were assigned to.

We did not request the table of 8, it was allocated by the TA and we had so many other important things to take care of prior to leaving, we never got around to requesting it be changed.

Once onboard, we mainly dined in the Lido, or requested a table for 2 as 'walk-ins' on 2 occasions in the MDR with no problems.

I don't see that it's such a big deal, but do understand that those who wish to meet new people or are travelling solo could be negatively affected - and for that, I feel bad.

We have learnt from experience now and have requested a table for 2 on the next cruise and hopefully this time we will only bother each other;)

Actually, outside these boards, on an actual cruise, you would find Table for 2 is the most sought after table on almost every ship we sail. Many people simply dont care to socialize at mean time, they just want to enjoy a nice meal with their loved ones or families, not strangers.

On next cruise what you can do is, on the embarkation day there always a set time / location where passengers can go to request dining set up change. We always take our time to go and make sure we get the table we want or close to what we want.

On our last Oct 10 days South Caribbeans cruise on Emerald Princess, the lady in front of me waiting to do her change told me the exact same thing I posted, that they traveled for their relaxation, not to socializing. They wanted a Table for Two however it took! I have to say HAL needs to learn more from Princess in handling the Open Seating, from the reservation system to the actual seating process at the door. This is one area Princess has done a much better job, the dining room arrangement AND the dining room services! HAL's services are very hit or miss at the MDR. At LIDO the waiters do not clean the tables as quickly as the Princess waiters do, nor they would ask to bring you drinks as frequently as Princess waiters do. I am actually quite surprised by the seemingly lesser services HAL staff demonstrate, given HAL is touted being a cut above... Not so on our first try the past April. But it has other good things, especially the itinerary and the shipboard programs on sea days, so we are back for another Transatlantic come this April. :D

So far Princess seems to have the best "anytime dining". I have yet to have a problem with it. We tried it on RCI and they wanted us to come to the same table for two each night at the same time. Duh....if I wanted to do that I would have chosen traditional. So we changed back to traditional. Not sure how anytime dining works on HAL. Can anyone enlighten me?

I have mainly cruised with Princess, and now 2 cruises on HAL. I like the "Anytime Dining" on Princess as a solo for the reasons people have listed above: at fixed dining, you often never know who is going to show up for dinner, so rather than find myself dining alone, I prefer using Anytime and asking to be seated with a large table. Also, you get a chance to meet more people.

With HAL it is virtually the same. I never had a wait and generally I show up to dine at "peak hours". I enjoyed meeting some lovely people. If you like Princess' option, you will like HAL's as well.

For those solos who do fixed seating but are thinking of trying the open seating -- give it a try. I used to do traditional dining, but I find little difference in service (especially now when waiters have so many tables/passengers to serve) between the two options. And as a solo, I actually enjoy the chance to make the acquaintance of more people, so that by the end of the cruise I am almost guaranteed to meet up with someone I've met every time I step out of my cabin.

Hmmm, I never quite understand WHY some thinks eating at Lido would diminish the vacation experiences - must it be waited on at the table be part of a vacation experience? I have to scratch my head...

Well...........we live in rural Vermont. very rural. There aren't many 5 Star restaurants where we come from. To us, the dining experience and the great staff and the various foods to try and service are definitely part of our vacation experience. Much like if we traveled to France or Italy it would be!

If you come visit Vermont, you will find some good old fashioned diner type restaurants and very casual dining atmospheres. Except in Burlington, the biggest city and college town which trys to imitate the big city dining experience, but comes up short!

To each his own.........:)

Well...........we live in rural Vermont. very rural. There aren't many 5 Star restaurants where we come from. To us, the dining experience and the great staff and the various foods to try and service are definitely part of our vacation experience. Much like if we traveled to France or Italy it would be!

If you come visit Vermont, you will find some good old fashioned diner type restaurants and very casual dining atmospheres. Except in Burlington, the biggest city and college town which trys to imitate the big city dining experience, but comes up short!

To each his own.........:)

Gee, we spend a lot of time in central VT and are always astounded at how many gourmet and really great little restaurants there are- Rt 100, Waterbury, Stowe, Waitsfield and also Middlebury areas.

Gee, we spend a lot of time in central VT and are always astounded at how many gourmet and really great little restaurants there are- Rt 100, Waterbury, Stowe, Waitsfield and also Middlebury areas.

Really? We live 20 minutes the other side of Stowe- nothing there anymore. Stowe is full of tourists, and my son works at the one restaurant we prefer: Harrison's on Main Street. I guess everyone has their own idea of what their vacation should be - I say, just relax and enjoy it!

We have had many cruisers post that they were forced into open seating because the fixed seating dining was filled. I have also been on cruises where people were unhappy because they could not get fixed seating. Often it is early seating that books up first, but depending upon the passenger makeup, late seating could also be filled.

If you know that you will not be eating in the dining room half of the nights or more, I think it would be a kindness to the other passengers to not take seats in fixed dining that others might want and not be able to get. At the very least, check with the dining room manager upon boarding to see whether there is a wait list for your seating.

Thank you Tricia. I don't understand how someone doesn't get that fixed means fixed. If you aren't going to be there for the majority of the nights, don't take it.

I am quite glad I have been navigating through the various messages/ opinions on the subject of the dinner seatings. When we booked our cruise (Westerdam, Febr. 18, 2011) I requested "second fixed traditional dinner". Yesterday, I got registered by internet (I believe they call it "check-in Summary), and I discovered that the "confirmed dining" would be "open seating". Today, I immediately got in touch and complained with the travelling agent in Zurich; this evening I got a mail stating that our dining was changed into "second fixed seating". Nobody asked us if we wanted a table for 4 or 6 or 10. Before the cruise with Westerdam we shall cruise with the Celebrity Equinox, and there we requested and got a table of 6. Actually, this Winter we wanted to cruise in America in order to meet people (among others at the dining tables) in order to fresh up our English (last February we were with Costa in the Indian Ocean, and obviously we spoke Italian at the table (table of 8). On Costa, everybody was showing up every evening, properly dressed; the conversations among us were so entertaining, that we always were the last party to leave the dining room.

I read that it might occur, that the fixed seating is booked out (or overbooked). Consequently, what shall I do?? Should I request from HAL a written confirmation guaranteeing our "second fixed seating"?? What about the tables?? Has anybody experience with the sizes of the tables of Westerdam's traditional dining room?? Do you suggest a table of 6 or 8 (hoping that somebody beside us would be showing up)?? Thank you for the advises.

I read that it might occur, that the fixed seating is booked out (or overbooked). Consequently, what shall I do?? Should I request from HAL a written confirmation guaranteeing our "second fixed seating"?? What about the tables?? Has anybody experience with the sizes of the tables of Westerdam's traditional dining room?? Do you suggest a table of 6 or 8 (hoping that somebody beside us would be showing up)?? Thank you for the advises.

If you are confirmed for fixed, second seating, then by all means get that in writing. And take the confirmation with you. When you check in, take a look at your cabin card. Your dining assignment will be listed. If it gives an 8:00 PM time, with table number, you have fixed, second seating. If it lists "open seating", then take your confirmation to the appointed place for dinner reservations/changes, and explain that "there has been a mistake".

I had to do that once, and it was corrected.

Usually, your table size request is taken by your TA when you book the cruise. It is a request, but HAL does all they can to meet the requests of as many people as they can.

Archived