Is there a point at which it is courteous to move from fixed to open dining?

BoiseIdahoSpud

I feel it's not fair to the as you wish diners to have to wait longer for a table because traditional diners want to try it out. Once you make your choice to which dining you want you should stick with it. Does HAL even let traditional diners in the as you wish dining room?

Does HAL even let traditional diners in the as you wish dining room?

Traditional diners are already in the "as you wish dining room". They are on the upper level, in the fixed seating area of it.

Those on open seating are on the lower level of "as you wish".

HAL's policy is to allow a switch from one to the other once, for the remainder of the cruise.

It was my understanding that if one books either AYWD or fixed dining that you can't switch to the other option during the cruise. Am I mistaken?

We and our travel companions enjoy dining early so that we can participate in more of the evening's after-dinner activities. We also like the fixed dining option so that we can get to know the wait staff. However, if we're unable to book early fixed dining the AYWD works out just fine. We just go at our usual time and have never had difficulty getting a table.

My question is more about being courteous to the MDR staff - are they disappointed if they only see you say... 6 nights of a 10 night cruise? We are still relatively new to cruising (love it) and are just wanting to hold to good protocol where and when possible.

Spud--

As long as you tell them where you'll be the next night, they won't feel as if you're abandoning them because you don't like them.

It was my understanding that if one books either AYWD or fixed dining that you can't switch to the other option during the cruise. Am I mistaken?

Yes.

Everybody books AYWD. You book either the fixed or open seating component.

You may make one switch during the cruise, assuming there is room available, and may not switch back.

OP -- I think if you already plan on being gone for 3 or more nights on a 7 night cruise, or 4 or more nights on a 10 day cruise, you really should forego fixed and move to anytime. It is kind of you to think you'd include the 8th person at your table in other dining plans, but that may not be suitable for that person. On some cruises, the 8 p.m. fixed dining is highly sought after, and you might be keeping others out of the seats that are assigned to you; others who really want to utilize the MDR, and have no plans for other dining.

This will be our first cruise on HAL. On NCL we enjoyed the open dining because you could show up and ask for a table for two, or be joined with others at a larger table. You meet different people that way. On Celebrity we asked for a table for two in fixed as we wanted to be alone the whole time. This cruise we were booked with early fixed, table for two. Now we are going to be in a suite and will probably eat on our balcony and try out the other dining venues some nights. We do want to experience formal night in the MDR. Do we switch... or just let our staff know what we are planning??

OP -- I think if you already plan on being gone for 3 or more nights on a 7 night cruise, or 4 or more nights on a 10 day cruise, you really should forego fixed and move to anytime.

But it could be rather difficult for them to get a table for all 7 of them together in Open Seating as there are a very limited number of 8 and 10 tops...

...and they may wish to invite their new single friend to join the group for dinners elsewhere too - that would give the single the option as well as knowledge to make the right decision for them.

But it could be rather difficult for them to get a table for all 7 of them together in Open Seating as there are a very limited number of 8 and 10 tops...

...and they may wish to invite their new single friend to join the group for dinners elsewhere too - that would give the single the option as well as knowledge to make the right decision for them.

That was my thinking. It's a 10 day cruise and we'll be at our MDR late fixed for probably 7 nights including the formal nights. We have already reserved a table for 8 because they are hard to get. Thanks all for your advice and thoughts!

Spud--

As long as you tell them where you'll be the next night, they won't feel as if you're abandoning them because you don't like them.

Brian, I don't believe the OP indicated they were a party of 7. The first post didn't give a number, but said they like to dine in their cabin. That isn't 7 people!

Hi Ruth:

I had a second post where I clarified we are a party of 7. (Three cabins.)

So far Princess seems to have the best "anytime dining". I have yet to have a problem with it. We tried it on RCI and they wanted us to come to the same table for two each night at the same time. Duh....if I wanted to do that I would have chosen traditional. So we changed back to traditional. Not sure how anytime dining works on HAL. Can anyone enlighten me?

We were assigned to a large table for 10 (we'd asked for a table for 8), and ended up by ourselves on the first and second nights -- and the second night was a long-anticipated formal night.

Interesting to read. We ran into the same problem on our last cruise with Princess. We were two couples alone at a 10 person table. Another couple showed up an hour later. The others never showed up. I thought this was very rude since the people sitting at the ends could not have a conversation at this large table. On the third night, I strongly insisted on a reassignment to a smaller table.

I thought that the seats of people who don't show up within 30 minutes of their traditional assigned dining time should be given to the open seat passengers who were standing in line outside.

Hi Ruth:

I had a second post where I clarified we are a party of 7. (Three cabins.)

Oops. Sorry. :o I guess it's a short-term vs long-term memory thing.

Glad my little miscue didn't derail the discussion.

So are you saying it would be better to hold a traditional table open when the intent is not to be there most of the cruise? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

On my two most recent cruises, I have experienced the issue of missing tablemates with no prior notice. Four times on the two cruises, I ended up dining alone. While the service and personal attention from the stewards is truly enjoyable, this situation dilutes the dining experience that I enjoy.

For that reason, plus the expanded dining options on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I have opted for my first experience with As You Wish Dining. I know that I will want to try Canaletto, Tamarand, and Pinnacle Grill and I like the idea that I can decide on the spur of the moment, availability permitting, where to dine without worrying about not being courteous to my tablemates and to my assigned stewards.

For me, this will be another "new travel adventure".

Rka, another solo cruiser here. I tried open seating on a 10-day cruise on the Noordam and liked it. I wasn't sure I would. I signed up for it again on my upcoming Westerdam cruise. Each evening I showed up when I wanted to and asked to be seated with others. It worked out well. I only ended up with a "dud" of a table one night. That sure beats the 5 nights of H**l I experienced on the Oosterdam in fixed seating.

Roz

It's good to hear from some solo cruisers regarding open seating. I swore I would never book a cruise where I had to take open. After having several cruises where I've had my share of "duds" I'm more "open" to open dining. The issue has been forced because that's all that was available for my next 3 cruises. I'm looking at it in a positive light however so this might just be something I'll come to enjoy.

So are you saying it would be better to hold a traditional table open when the intent is not to be there most of the cruise? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Their intent is to be there 6 of 10 nights - it's not exactly unheard of...

There are a limited number of 8 & 10 tops - 15 or so, I think? - in the LDR.

If there are a fair number of other families/groups in open dining, it could be difficult to get a table.

Their intent is to be there 6 of 10 nights - it's not exactly unheard of...

There are a limited number of 8 & 10 tops - 15 or so, I think? - in the LDR.

If there are a fair number of other families/groups in open dining, it could be difficult to get a table.

Unheard of.....no....I've sat at a table when some folks didn't show up for the whole cruise. I wouldn't do that.....YMMV.

We've been with another cruise line the last couple of years, so I'm in the dark somewhat with the classification of dining arrangements. If I understand RuthC correctly all dining is AYW, but with two options: fixed or open.

With fixed AYWD are both a table and a time reserved?

With open AYWD is neither a time nor a table reserved?

If the above is what is being done, it appears to me that HAL is merely playing semantics with us, i.e. in actuality they have traditional fixed dining and AYWD. Calling the former AYWD seems disingenuous not to mention confusing.

Calling the former AYWD seems disingenuous not to mention confusing.

Confusing? Most assuredly. Disingenuous? Not at all.

As You Wish Dining is an umbrella term for any number of ways to dine. They include fixed seating, open seating, Lido service, room service, Pinnacle Grille, Canaletto, and, on some ships, Tamarind.

You choose where and how you wish to dine.

We've been with another cruise line the last couple of years, so I'm in the dark somewhat with the classification of dining arrangements. If I understand RuthC correctly all dining is AYW, but with two options: fixed or open.

With fixed AYWD are both a table and a time reserved?

With open AYWD is neither a time nor a table reserved?

If the above is what is being done, it appears to me that HAL is merely playing semantics with us, i.e. in actuality they have traditional fixed dining and AYWD. Calling the former AYWD seems disingenuous not to mention confusing.

Ok to clarify, and I am not Ruth, sorry ;) with fixed dining, you have a fixed table and a fixed time. If you are not there in 15 minutes the doors close.

anytime dining - open you have neither a table nor a time reserved (unless you can arrange it). you take your pager, listen to the strings and wait for them to page you if they are full.

Sorry, for us, we like fixed time dining. I heard great things about the other option, but getting dressed, sitting with a pager and ordering a drink and not finishing it is not my style (dh doesn't like us to carry drinks to the dining room or anywhere).

I gladly book fixed dining (it's hard to get unless you book early) and, if I am going to go to the Pinnacle or whatever, just tell the guests at the table and my waiters. I really don't see an issue as long as you are polite and let your table partners and waiters know.

As long as you do that, then you should book the dining option that suits YOU best. For the op, it's your cruise, do what makes you feel happy and enjoy your cruise :):)

thought I would chip in with my experienced with dinning solo on the Westerdam

I chose fixed late at a large table. Only 2 table mates showed up the first night 20 mins late they had been enjoying the sail away party bolted there food and left. so I had appetizer and desert alone at an 8 top. not how I wanted to start a 14 day cruise.

I mention my dinning experience at the CC meet and great was invited to join other at anytime dinning. Some nights I joined up with people I met others I would just show up and share a table everyone was gracious. By the end of the cruise a group of 9 of us who enjoyed dinner together just set up a time for the next night during dinner not too many big tables.

I will take any time dinning again.

our cruise in April will be our 4th on HAL. On our second cruise we went with another couple - HAL gave us a table for 4 instead of booking us at a table for 8 which we had on our first cruise. Well, our friends went to dinner 1 formal night! That was it! They didn't want to change, wanted to eat earlier, whatever, so my husband and I ate alone every night and never got to meet the interesting people we had on our other cruise! No more of that! I have requested the late dinner seating assigned for us this time..........we love the people we meet, the staff are the same every night and get to know you and it si VACATION! HELLO! and 5 star dining! Why would I eat in the Lido and pass that up?

Hmmm, I never quite understand WHY some thinks eating at Lido would diminish the vacation experiences - must it be waited on at the table be part of a vacation experience? I have to scratch my head...

At LIDO you still get some services but frankly I dont consider having a waiter team to bring foods to your table is part of a MUST HAVE vacation experience... The services at MDR were hit or miss and often way too slow.

However, the more important thing is, on our 16 days Transatlantic last April on Eurodam, THE FOODS AT LIDO OFTEN were SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAN THAT at the MDR believe it or not.

There were grilled 1/2 lobster tails prepared at the small cooking area just behind the counter at LIDO on one night. I dont know how more freshly cooked you can get, and as many as you would like. Several nights there were grilled steaks done the same fashion. Other nights there were lamb chops and grilled shrimps... None of these dishes were ever on MDR menu.

We often dropped by LIDO earlier and then visited MDR after 8:30. I would say foods at LIDO on our cruise were overall BETTER than those served at MDR.

We always request Table for Two at MDR - dont care to socialize in dinner time with fellow passengers. Occasional lunch time sharing stories are good enough for us. Besides, it seems to us many dining mates tend to be a bit on the nosy side. Just sayin.

We were on the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera in December, with a late seating. Once boarded, we found out we had a Pinnacle meal provided by our T.A. for the first night. I went to the MDR to tell the maitre'd/guy at the desk that we wouldn't be at our table that night, but he did not pass this info on to our tablemates.

The good news is that we enjoyed our MDR experience for the rest of the trip - though (bad news) we were only 3 couples at a table for eight, which meant that on one night we were just four at the table, but on Formal nights (Good news) our two extra seats were filled by the I.T. officer (Robin...) and his wife, who were a lovely addition, with lots of stories to tell and such. They also brought lots of wine to share. Even without the wine, a totally charming couple!

Serendipity? Sometimes the best travel adventures are those you weren't expecting!

Archived