Shorts in the MDR

parentsof5

rarely wear them around the house unless I am sick because I respect myself, him and my kids more than that. Serious question......you don't need the right woman to wear lingere to bed or under her clothes, but don't you appreciate the effort? Isn't dressing up for your dining companion the same thing?

I'm happy to be with my wife whatever she's wearing. If she wants to dress up I am happy for her, but it makes no difference to me.

Why is not wearing comfortable clothes around the house a matter of self respect? On days that I don;t have to go out I rarely wear more than underwear because we have climate control and why dirty some clothes when I don't need to and be less comfortable than I need to be? I "respect myself" just fine.

Heck my most comfortable things in the world to wear are flannel PJ bottoms and a T-shirt, but I don't wear them to Walmart, even though many others do, and rarely wear them around the house

Next you're going to tell me you don't fart in front of your partner either.

Yes you will see shorts and flip flops all week. Now they advertise jeans allowed in steakhouse.

Coming soon new motto will be cruisin with rednecks.

I guess that they will soon have to provide on-ship parking for their single-wides.

DON

I'm happy to be with my wife whatever she's wearing. If she wants to dress up I am happy for her, but it makes no difference to me.

Why is not wearing comfortable clothes around the house a matter of self respect? On days that I don;t have to go out I rarely wear more than underwear because we have climate control and why dirty some clothes when I don't need to and be less comfortable than I need to be? I "respect myself" just fine.

I have looked at this trying to figure out a way to answer that would enlighten, inform, or further our discussion. I give up...... I actually have more questions than responses, and even then I don't know where to start.

I think at the very end of the day what people dissatisfied with Carnival's dress code need to remember is it's that guy you're glaring at in the Fruit of the Loom T-Shirt and Faded Glory brand jeans that's keeping the cost of your cruise down.

I'm pretty sure most of us here sail with Carnival because they are by far the most affordable line and are still heaps of fun right?

Well Carnival gets to be affordable by appealing to a market that isn't fussed about being on a luxury ship like Silver Seas or on some mega city at sea like some of RCL's newer ships.

This sort of person also doesn't particularly want to get dressed up in the same sort of clothes they gratefully tear from their body at the end of a long day at work when going out for a dining experience that is supposed to be pleasurable.

Without this demographic Carnival would not have a low-key, low maint group to cater to and you wouldn't have your inexpensive cruise line option.

One of the primary reasons I choose Carnival (in addition to the price) is precisely BECAUSE I can wear nice jeans or shorts (although I have never worn these) to the MDR and just be myself and be comfortable.

So the next time Mr Fruit of the Loom is there at your table for ten, wearing jeans on elegant night and ordering his extra well done build-your-own burger, just remember that he's a huge part of Carnival's target demographic and is why they succeed as a budget cruise line.

If you don't want to see this there's plenty of other options, you'll just have to pay more.

I would assume one's personal dress code supersedes Carnivals. Carnivals is the lower common denominator.

Absolutely and not necessarily. If we ever cruise on the same ship I'll try to find some delightfully tacky wallpaper to wear so I can be a suitable backdrop for your Red Lobster dinner.

I'll be the one neither wearing a funnel hat nor dancing the tarantella on top of dirty dishes.

That is a matter of opinion and extremely judgmental on the part of the fashion police. It has already been established that they have no authority.

Another little secret. There are lots of land-locked women willing to take trade places, many of whom are probably younger, better looking, less judgmental, and less of a nag. Also less expensive to dispose of.

LMAO @ the very last sentence. I darn near sprayed my beer and Clamato juice all over my laptop... lol Thanks for that, first good laugh of the day and it's almost over.

I would assume one's personal dress code supersedes Carnivals. Carnivals is the lower common denominator.

Pete, keep up the good work. Someone's got to stand up for civility, standards and class. I'm just exhausted from trying for years to do my bit to slow down The Dumbing of America, but it really looks like the slobs are gaining ground. Maybe because they're so rude and loud, even though they're still a minority?:confused:

Pete' date=' keep up the good work. Someone's got to stand up for civility, standards and class. I'm just exhausted from trying for years to do my bit to slow down The Dumbing of America, but it really looks like the slobs are gaining ground. Maybe because they're so rude and loud, even though they're still a minority?:confused:[/quote']

Nah. It's just that the dinosaurs are turning to dust.

If seeing everyone dessed 'elegantly' is what you desire, then Carnival isn't the right fit.

Celebrity is more stringent with the dress code...but a Celebrity cruise is just no fun.

I used to want to see everyone dressed formally on what was once 'formal night'...but it was a lost cause.

I like Carnival, so I don't look at the wife beaters and the 300 pound women in size 10 cocktail dresses...OK, I'm lying. I do look at them. Then I try to foget about it. But the reality is, this is what is on the ships.

Your choices are to let it go, or move on to another line.

I still want to know why the passengers think it's Ok to wander around in their robes all day........

*sigh*

If you want to wear shorts every night, perhaps you should choose another type of vacation.

I spent a week in Roatan last summer. The island is still very undeveloped & casual. We ate outdoors on the beach every night. I rarely even wore shoes the entire week -- we'd just literally walk down the beach to an outdoor restaurant. I didn't blow-dry my hair & barely wore make-up. It was great. That's what I was looking for in that vacation.

When I go on a cruise, I choose it partly because I enjoy the dressing up certain nights.

If you have problems with people wearing shorts in the MDR on casual nights, perhaps Carnival is not the vacation for you.

I am not quite understanding why it makes any difference to anybody what other people wear? I like to dress up on the "elegant nights", as does my husband. Actually, every night we eat in the MDR (which is every night except when we eat at the specialty restaurant) we "dress up". But, it does not make or break my evening if someone were to be seated at a table next to ours wearing short or jeans. Just saying... I dress well because it makes me feel good. I am indifferent to the style preferences of others.

Do you care if there are table cloths on the tables?Do you care if you eat with china and silver, versus paper plates and plastic? Do you care if there are floral arrangements in the dining room? Do you care if there is nice music playing overhead? All of these things create an ambiance which contributes to the enjoyment of the evening. What people wear contribute to this as well. The dress code is clearly stated. Why would someone say " I know what is required; I am going to ignore it." that is rude.

Do you care if there are table cloths on the tables?Do you care if you eat with china and silver, versus paper plates and plastic? Do you care if there are floral arrangements in the dining room? Do you care if there is nice music playing overhead? All of these things create an ambiance which contributes to the enjoyment of the evening. What people wear contribute to this as well. The dress code is clearly stated. Why would someone say " I know what is required; I am going to ignore it." that is rude.

:)

No matter how much sense that makes....it's futile.

Is this thread really about people violating the dress code though? I thought it was about dress shorts on casual nights?

Pete' date=' keep up the good work. Someone's got to stand up for civility, standards and class. I'm just exhausted from trying for years to do my bit to slow down The Dumbing of America, but it really looks like the slobs are gaining ground. Maybe because they're so rude and loud, even though they're still a minority?:confused:[/quote']

Perhaps it's time for you to move on to one of those other cruise lines that cater to the classy folks such as yourselves.

Nah. It's just that the dinosaurs are turning to dust.

If you and others of your ilk represent the coming dominant demographic in America, then it's probably time for anyone with even a soupcon of savoir faire to move to Europe..... or Saint Bart's. :)

I would say more, but I have a cruise to go on tomorrow. :D

FYI....shorts are allowed in the dining room.

If you and others of your ilk represent the coming dominant demographic in America' date=' then it's probably time for anyone with even a [i']soupcon[/i] of savoir faire to move to Europe..... or Saint Bart's. :)

I would say more, but I have a cruise to go on tomorrow. :D

Aren't you the one that likes to wear a lamp shade, or maybe it was panties on your head at dinner? :rolleyes:

FYI....shorts are allowed in the dining room.

and they still are. ;)

Are you sure you've sailed on Carnival?

IMG_3096.JPG

How's this for ambiance? David's Steakhouse on Carnival Pride.

IMG_0612.JPG

Archived