Is Carnival really patting down passengers at embarkation?

marne001

A friend who sailed on the Conquest recently told me she was "patted down" (belly, waist and near crotch) on a recent cruise out of Galveston. I cannot believe this. Is there is truth to this?

Very hard to believe. Don't flame me as I am only asking if anyone else has first hand experience with this level of security check at the Galveston port.

I saw people getting patted down at 2 am trying to get on the Sensation in Nassua last Friday night. They also had to remove their shoes.

I thought it was kind of weird and asked the crowd near me if we had to. Someone said only the crew goes through that.

We stumbled right through with no problem.

No. No truth to that at all.

This rumor can end here.

I was patted down on my pockets coming back from a port .. Im pretty sure it was on Conquest too.

They didnt ask, just reached forward and started put their hands on me suddenly. I think they should say something before touching the body of a female guest.

I was patted down on my pockets coming back from a port .. Im pretty sure it was on Conquest too.

They didnt ask, just reached forward and started put their hands on me suddenly. I think they should say something before touching the body of a female guest.

They should say something before a "pat down" is to be administrated to any pax regardless of their sex.

They should say something before a "pat down" is to be administrated to any pax regardless of their sex.

Imagine my surprise when this male guy reaches for me and started touching my hips .. I didnt realize until after he was wanting to see what I had in my pockets. Not a word, just reached for me and touched.

Its not a rumor to me.

Imagine my surprise when this male guy reaches for me and started touching my hips .. I didnt realize until after he was wanting to see what I had in my pockets. Not a word, just reached for me and touched.

Its not a rumor to me.

what occured to you (and I assume other pax) certainly would have given just cause to speak to guest relations regarding this procedure you were not advised of in advance. If no satisfaction came from that meeting, I would for certain be contacting the cruiseline headquarters to discuss. This is just not right at all.

I believe the OP was referring to the port of Galveston, specifically.

You're aware of the problems we had with security people there. Those problems have been addressed and corrected.

I've asked numerous people about the treatment of guests embarking at Galveston and I've not heard anything of the sort of treatment the OP mentions.

Previously, I had asked about such security measures and was told that no such thing was occurring.

Not a rumor..its a fact!

My husband was patted down and wanded when we went on our cruise out of Galveston in Sept. After he went through the security machine twice after emptying his pockets he was pulled aside and patted down and wanded....in plain sight of other passengers.

He had bilateral knee surgery last year and has titanium plates in both knees..this is why the machine kept going off.

Fortunately, he remembered he has a small credit card size affidavid from the doctor alerting security of this.

After they read the card they left him through.

Not a rumor..its a fact!

My husband was patted down and wanded when we went on our cruise out of Galveston in Sept. After he went through the security machine twice after emptying his pockets he was pulled aside and patted down and wanded....in plain sight of other passengers.

He had bilateral knee surgery last year and has titanium plates in both knees..this is why the machine kept going off.

Fortunately' date=' he remembered he has a small credit card size affidavid from the doctor alerting security of this.[/color']

After they read the card they left him through.

wonder what they would have done had he not had that affidavit ?

I saw this happen on a fairly recent cruise on the Fantasy. Don't remember what port we were at, but it happened while returning from an excursion. DW and i were in line to board the ship and the security people pulled a guy ahead of us out of line and patted him down. This was before we went through the metal detector. He also had to remove his shoes. I thought maybe he had done something to make security suspicious, but as soon as they let him go they pulled the guy directly behind us and did the same thing. Not sure what was going on , but it was the first time i had ever seen it done.

I wonder if this procedure is addressed in the cruise ticket agreement that each guest must agree too before boarding, if this procedure of pat downs is not in the cruise ticket agreement I do not think it can be done. Only a TSA agent or other law inforcement individuals can do pat downs if necessary I would think. This would be an interesting question for guest relations.

Gary.

A friend who sailed on the Conquest recently told me she was "patted down" (belly, waist and near crotch) on a recent cruise out of Galveston. I cannot believe this. Is there is truth to this?

Very hard to believe. Don't flame me as I am only asking if anyone else has first hand experience with this level of security check at the Galveston port.

She forgot to tell you that it was at the airport.:D

Its not a rumor to me.

Sounds like Jamaica and they were looking for drugs.

I'd give him a poke in the eye...

I'd give her $20 for a happy ending. :D

I wonder if this procedure is addressed in the cruise ticket agreement that each guest must agree too before boarding, if this procedure of pat downs is not in the cruise ticket agreement I do not think it can be done. Only a TSA agent or other law inforcement individuals can do pat downs if necessary I would think.

Gary.

This may be technically true...but if one is wanting to board the ship at the beginning of the cruise, or while in a foreign country...one is probably not going to argue the legalities of the pat down.

Sound like it may have been done in Galveston, but not anymore.

I wonder if this procedure is addressed in the cruise ticket agreement that each guest must agree too before boarding, if this procedure of pat downs is not in the cruise ticket agreement I do not think it can be done. Only a TSA agent or other law inforcement individuals can do pat downs if necessary I would think.

Gary.

Well then somebody's just getting a free feel.:eek:

I wonder if this procedure is addressed in the cruise ticket agreement that each guest must agree too before boarding, if this procedure of pat downs is not in the cruise ticket agreement I do not think it can be done. Only a TSA agent or other law inforcement individuals can do pat downs if necessary I would think. This would be an interesting question for guest relations.

Gary.

TSA has nothing to do with cruise line security, and once you leave the US, you are at the mercy of whatever laws prevail in the current port. In some ports, occasional pat downs are SOP before they let you get to the ship. Jamaica is one country that comes to mind - especially if they had already busted someone for trying to smuggle drugs.

And while you make a valid point, the cruiselines should be advising passengers that they may be subject to more detailed searches when boarding the ship i.e. "pat downs". If they are not providing advanced warning....shame on them given they have every other possible clause in their contract to make them virtually not responsible for anything, why not add that disclaimer as well !

It stands to reason that whatever is being done to airline passengers at security should also be done to cruise passengers.

When you think about it, a cruise ship is a much bigger target than an airliner.

As long as this is not being done just to enhance bar revenue, I am in favor of it!

And while you make a valid point, the cruiselines should be advising passengers that they may be subject to more detailed searches when boarding the ship i.e. "pat downs". If they are not providing advanced warning....shame on them given they have every other possible clause in their contract to make them virtually not responsible for anything, why not add that disclaimer as well !

Cruise lines don't want to be responsible or have any liability to keep up with all laws and customs for all ports. There is a certain amount of individual responsibility to do some research.

As for the cruise contract, much of it is a direct result of sue happy lawyers and passengers and is Carnival trying to protect themselves.

It stands to reason that whatever is being done to airline passengers at security should also be done to cruise passengers.

When you think about it, a cruise ship is a much bigger target than an airliner.

As long as this is not being done just to enhance bar revenue, I am in favor of it!

Airlines provide transportation and so have to endure TSA.

One of the first things they might hand you on a cruise ship is a steak knife. :eek:

Archived