Smuggling Booze?

LaShelle2

Actually, it's a pretty decent consideration for me; I've got access to more wine, and better wines, than the ship would have. Being able to bring wine on board -- and I'll happily pay corkage on it, be it for consumption in the MDR, steakhouse, or my cabin -- is an attractive feature in a cruise line. On my upcoming RCL cruise, I'll be limited to what the boat carries, which pretty much falls into the category of "wines I've had multiple times before, and which are pretty straightforward."

Of course, as the username implies, I'm a cork dork, so I'm the exception in that respect... :D

Not to get in the middle of your discussion , but never thought of it as a reason. Lets face it we all of have reasons , ships, ports heck we cruised last time because they all wanted to go out of the Tampa port , I found the best looking cruise which so happened to be the Radiance . If you like wine thats a good reason for me . :):)

Actually, it's a pretty decent consideration for me; I've got access to more wine, and better wines, than the ship would have. Being able to bring wine on board -- and I'll happily pay corkage on it, be it for consumption in the MDR, steakhouse, or my cabin -- is an attractive feature in a cruise line. On my upcoming RCL cruise, I'll be limited to what the boat carries, which pretty much falls into the category of "wines I've had multiple times before, and which are pretty straightforward."

Of course, as the username implies, I'm a cork dork, so I'm the exception in that respect... :D

I agree. Enjoying a variety of fine wines is a big consideration on a vacation for my wife and myself. Hoping for some reasonably priced good tasting wines on our 12 day European cruise this summer on RCI. On Princess last summer out of Rome, we were able to bring several bottles on board and found some nice wines in several of the ports.

In the uk we can buy a box of wine, if we take it out of the box it is in a silver foil bag with a tap on the end. Looking at rum runners on the net they look like similar. Do you think the foil bag will be detected on the xray machine? Because, like alot of people on this thread the money is less of an issue than the ambiance of having a glass of wine on our balcony as the sun goes down after a busy day on shore or by the pool!!

In the uk we can buy a box of wine, if we take it out of the box it is in a silver foil bag with a tap on the end. Looking at rum runners on the net they look like similar. Do you think the foil bag will be detected on the xray machine? Because, like alot of people on this thread the money is less of an issue than the ambiance of having a glass of wine on our balcony as the sun goes down after a busy day on shore or by the pool!!

Contrary to what some people would have you believe, you can order as much wine as you would like to your stateroom - bottles and bottles of it if you want. There are bars at every pool I've ever seen where you can get wine or any other drink you want. Hard liquor can be ordered from room service - you can even stop by any bar and get the alcohol without ice to enjoy at a later time in your cabin. It's just that you will be charged the ships prices - it really all boils down to the almighty dollar. I'm not being judgmental although I do think if you bring your own alcohol to the pool or any other public venue where alcohol is served, that's just being tacky - again JMO.

You are paying thousands for your cruise and you try to save a few bucks by smuggling booze.

These are probably the same people that do not want to follow the suggested dress codes.

It's got nothing to do with saving a few bucks - it's got to do with the convenience of making a drink to have on your balcony, after a long hot day on an excursion somewhere - at least that's what it is for me. Or a highball while you're getting ready for dinner. Believe me, we follow the dress code, we also buy plenty of the fancy "umbrella drinks" on board, as well as the wine package for dinner.

The never ending issue!

Remember, RCI is, thus far, the only cruise line to have every TV network attempt to paint them as the evil corporate giant all because of smuggled booze. So they have set a policy.

Smuggle: Do not get caught, get caught. Might happen, might not. Flip the coin.

But, RCI protects themselves by banning alcohol to be carried onboard. If the day comes that another line finds themselves in a legal quagmire, they too might change their policy.

Contrary to what some people would have you believe, you can order as much wine as you would like to your stateroom - bottles and bottles of it if you want. There are bars at every pool I've ever seen where you can get wine or any other drink you want. Hard liquor can be ordered from room service - you can even stop by any bar and get the alcohol without ice to enjoy at a later time in your cabin. It's just that you will be charged the ships prices - it really all boils down to the almighty dollar. I'm not being judgmental although I do think if you bring your own alcohol to the pool or any other public venue where alcohol is served, that's just being tacky - again JMO.

Actually you are incorrect. On RCL you CAN not order hard liquor from room service - nor can you order beer. So - I guess you are right.. It is all about money. It not because I don't want to take a shower and then stroll down to a pool bar in my robe and then wait in line to order a glass of wine to then walk back up to my room to then finally sit on my balcony. You see I am not cheap-I am lazy.

And I think strolling around in my robe is more 'tacky' than the other option.

Actually you are incorrect. On RCL you CAN not order hard liquor from room service - nor can you order beer. So - I guess you are right.. It is all about money. It not because I don't want to take a shower and then stroll down to a pool bar in my robe and then wait in line to order a glass of wine to then walk back up to my room to then finally sit on my balcony. You see I am not cheap-I am lazy.

Well I for one appreciate the fact that you don't wander around in your robe . On out last Radiance cruise there was this lets say "elderley" women that wandered around all week in hers . I saw her at breakfast , in the afternoon by the pool , and one day by the pool a gust of wind caught the robe and yes I saw it all :eek::eek::eek: Not sure I will ever be the same . :p

The first time we cruised on Princess we brought a bottle of wine and a bottle of vodka in our carry on.(no flight involved). They confiscated the vodka and sent us over to an elderly gentleman sitting at a little table with a clip board. He wanted our names and info so we could claim the bottle when we came back. MY husband said "Sir, do you drink vodka?" The man said "yes I do", my husband said "keep it, enjoy"! Our next cruise is on Royal Caribbean and I have to agree with some of the posts, it would be nice to have a bottle of wine to enjoy on my balcony. We were glad to have our own wine on our princess cruises. And believe me, it had no effect on our bar tab,we spent plenty!:)

know this has been asked, but too lazy to search, plus I want current info from recent cruisers

Is it easy to smuggle onto Monarch in Port Canaveral

How much booze does RCL "legally" let you bring on?

Becareful...I wouldnt do it. Way too risky.

I heard RCI keelhauled a fella last cruise when they found a bottle of boose in his suitcase! Then they made his wife walk the plank in front of his three small children...Way too risky!

I wore my RCI bath robe last January on the freedom at sailaway in Port Camaveral....It was 36 degrees at 4 pm! Crazy cold for central Fl at that time of day!! When we left for the port I went from the heated house to the warm garaged car and had no idea it was so cold until we arrived at the port...Just had a light jacket. That beautiful robe kept me warm..! I could have cared less what people thought...they were cold too. Oh yeah I had smuggled booze too.

i wore my rci bath robe last january on the freedom at sailaway in port camaveral....it was 36 degrees at 4 pm! Crazy cold for central fl at that time of day!! When we left for the port i went from the heated house to the warm garaged car and had no idea it was so cold until we arrived at the port...just had a light jacket. That beautiful robe kept me warm..! I could have cared less what people thought...they were cold too. Oh yeah i had smuggled booze too.

lol!:d

You have obviously read enough of these threads to know for a lot of people it is not about cost. It is about being able to drink what you want, when you want and how you want on your private balcony.

I'm on vacation and I don't want to have to plan to have a drink on my balcony if I feel like one. I get back from the beach, take a shower, the sun is setting, I have a little time to kill, I am very content chilling on my balcony and would like a drink on my balcony right now while I have 20 minutes of do nothing time. RCI's marketing must really work because I say "why not" and mix myself a drink from my smuggled, illegal, against the rules booze.

With the $4500 I spent on cruise fare alone for my family, the 3-4 bucks I might have just saved did not enter into the equation. As an aside I am not one of those people that will try to justify my smuggling by saying I still spend plenty on board. I believe that is irrelevant. RCI doesn't have a loophole in it's rules saying people who spend a certain amount onboard are allowed to smuggle booze.

I follow the suggested attire guidlines in the MDR but being only one person I am not a large enough sample to dispute your theory. Perhaps you should start a poll.

Can I get an AMEN! Right on! Oh Yea! You know it!

know this has been asked, but too lazy to search, plus I want current info from recent cruisers

Is it easy to smuggle onto Monarch in Port Canaveral

How much booze does RCL "legally" let you bring on?

Legally???....NONE...If you get caught breaking the rules and they take your booze don't cry

I can't believe so many people care so much about this.

My husband and I are cheap and take 5 kids on a cruise with us...we save so we can cruise with them every other year. We also like to drink...hence the 5 kids or perhaps we drink due to the 5 kids....we buy cheap alcohol in plastic bottles and oh my gosh...some of you may faint...we drink it in cups not just on our balcony. We mix it with whatever is free...iced tea, lemonade, ice???

I can say we try to smuggle alcohol with us as it saves us money on board....if we save $200 on board that is 2 more excursions we can do and pay for. If I get the alcohol confiscated...I am out like $32 and it becomes a big joke to my husband and I on who takes the blame for it with the cruise line. It becomes then something we laugh about later. We go with the thought it might get confiscated...

I am cheap and proud of it and like my vodka mixed with anything as long as it didn't cost $10!

My husband and I are cheap and take 5 kids on a cruise with us...we save so we can cruise with them every other year. We also like to drink...hence the 5 kids or perhaps we drink due to the 5 kids....we buy cheap alcohol in plastic bottles and oh my gosh...some of you may faint...we drink it in cups not just on our balcony. We mix it with whatever is free...iced tea, lemonade, ice???

I can say we try to smuggle alcohol with us as it saves us money on board....if we save $200 on board that is 2 more excursions we can do and pay for. If I get the alcohol confiscated...I am out like $32 and it becomes a big joke to my husband and I on who takes the blame for it with the cruise line. It becomes then something we laugh about later. We go with the thought it might get confiscated...

I am cheap and proud of it and like my vodka mixed with anything as long as it didn't cost $10!

At least you are willing to admit why you smuggle.

Others use the " they don't have my brand"..or "I just don't want to have to go to one of the MANY bars onboard to get a drink"...excuses.

Awesome! Anyone who says they smuggle for any other reason than saving money is just trying to avoid being called cheap. Some people on this board take the high-minded attitude that if you can't afford to pay for the drinks, you shouldn't be cruising... What a bunch of nonsense! One has nothing to do with the other. Some of people just don't like being overcharged. Bravo to you for your honesty!

Awesome! Anyone who says they smuggle for any other reason than saving money is just trying to avoid being called cheap. Some people on this board take the high-minded attitude that if you can't afford to pay for the drinks, you shouldn't be cruising... What a bunch of nonsense! One has nothing to do with the other. Some of people just don't like being overcharged. Bravo to you for your honesty!

AND, some people have many reasons, they are cheap, the ships don't have the brands/flavors they want and it is a challenge.

i can't believe so many people care so much about this.

My husband and i are cheap and take 5 kids on a cruise with us...we save so we can cruise with them every other year. We also like to drink...hence the 5 kids or perhaps we drink due to the 5 kids....we buy cheap alcohol in plastic bottles and oh my gosh...some of you may faint...we drink it in cups not just on our balcony. We mix it with whatever is free...iced tea, lemonade, ice???

I can say we try to smuggle alcohol with us as it saves us money on board....if we save $200 on board that is 2 more excursions we can do and pay for. If i get the alcohol confiscated...i am out like $32 and it becomes a big joke to my husband and i on who takes the blame for it with the cruise line. It becomes then something we laugh about later. We go with the thought it might get confiscated...

you go gurl!!!!!!

I just got back from FOS cruise and I took a box of wine (I just took out the bag and it worked out great) and brought a box of margarita mix and did the same. I was able to avoid spending a ton of money on booze and had a great time spending that money on fun stuff, like a zip line excursion. The way I look at it, if caught the booze would have been a loss of about $30. If I did not get caught it could be a potential savings of around $200.

You can order room service to bring alcohol to your room. It takes forever (about 45 minutes) and just ends up being a waste of time.

The bud light "buckets" that they sell on the cruise are another great money saver. $25 (with tip) for six 16 ounce bud lights. Yes please!

And no one is going to get thrown off the ship for trying to smuggle booze unless they are being real a-holes about it or are trying to bring in the entire bar.

Archived