Smuggling Booze?

LaShelle2

Just got off the FOS on Jan. 9th. We had a group of 11 and 3 of us smuggled. I, personally, had a half pint in my front pocket and a half litre in my suitcase. I figured it was worth the risk because loosing a half bottle wouldn't kill me. I put it in mixed up with my shoes. My brother-in-law had two plastic flasks in his front pockets, again no proplem. My daughter brought vodka in a large water bottle and a box of wine and hers also went through. For those who think I took advantage of RCI I did use their $1.95 cans of coke for mix. My thinking was a Captain/Coke was $5.65 each so that would have cost me $11.30 for my wife and I so giving them the overpriced rate of $1.95 for a can of pop was a good trade off.

How did daughter get box of wine on the ship?

I'm surprised at how many people take offense at others smuggling booze. Does it really matter all that much to you if someone else sneaks a bottle of rum on board? Is it going to ruin your entire trip knowing that there are a few booze smugglers on board? Please get a life!

To answer the OPs question RCCL's policy is that no alcohol is allowed to be brought on board. If you are caught they will confiscate it and return it at the end of the cruise.

Well I for one appreciate the fact that you don't wander around in your robe . On out last Radiance cruise there was this lets say "elderley" women that wandered around all week in hers . I saw her at breakfast , in the afternoon by the pool , and one day by the pool a gust of wind caught the robe and yes I saw it all :eek::eek::eek: Not sure I will ever be the same . :p

Wow....... I hope it did not drive you to drink :eek:!!!

In the uk we can buy a box of wine, if we take it out of the box it is in a silver foil bag with a tap on the end. Looking at rum runners on the net they look like similar. Do you think the foil bag will be detected on the xray machine? Because, like alot of people on this thread the money is less of an issue than the ambiance of having a glass of wine on our balcony as the sun goes down after a busy day on shore or by the pool!!

The metallic foil bag will likely be visible to an xray.

I actually took some rum runners with me last month - and do you know what? - it just was not worth the hassle and I just could not be bothered to use them.

To be fair, the wine was reasonably priced and the buckets of beer were a decent deal and the 'mark ups' were comparable to bars and restaurants in the UK - in fact, based on our departure port of Singapore, some 'on board' alcohol prices were really competitive and thankfully, all prices were quoted in USD - about the only currency doing as bad as Sterling!

The strange part however, was that one of our shore excursions was Langkawi which is a duty free island and I stocked up on some great priced liquor.

On boarding the ship, we placed the bottles of liquor through the scanner, picked them up at the other end and just walked through - nobody bothered as it seemed nobody cared.

The bottles were for gifts back home by the way, but anyone wanting bottles to drink on board could quite easily have done so - and I suspect many did!

I have to laugh on this subject when I read on these forums of people using listerine bottles and even colostomy bags to smuggle booze on board - really guys, are you that desperate for a drink??

I (and fellow Brits) were pilloried on a recently closed forum on tipping in the States, and many suggested that for those who won't or can't afford to tip should not cruise as it was 'stealing' from the hard working staff - maybe some people will suggest the same about smuggling alcohol on board - what's the difference? smuggling alcohol on board potentially deprives the staff of tips and the cruise line of revenue - but that argument is for another day.

I do however totally agree that maybe RCI should allow a little relaxation of their alcohol policy by perhaps allowing a limited amount on board, but I suspect having a zero tolerance is more easier to police.

We took three rum runners on board last week with no problem. The funny thing is - we brought two full ones home.

We didn't have a balconey - if we had one, I think I would have enjoyed sitting out having a drink but wasn't interested in just sitting in the room, I really preferred to be out and about . So on a few nights, we had a pre dinner drink while we were getting ready.

We had prepurchased a wine package so we enjoyed that at dinner.

In port, I bought a gift pack of rum for my SIL. Coming back and going thru xray, the young lady asked if it was alcohol. I told her it was and she said to check it in at the table on the right. Went through and I didn't see a table so I just took it to my room. I had the impression that they really didn't care and were just going through the motions. Who knows.

I (and fellow Brits) were pilloried on a recently closed forum on tipping in the States, and many suggested that for those who won't or can't afford to tip should not cruise as it was 'stealing' from the hard working staff - maybe some people will suggest the same about smuggling alcohol on board - what's the difference?
You really don't see a difference.

The crew gets paid for the work they do mostly through passenger tips. It may be an idiotic system, but that is how they get paid for they jobs. They do their job. They bring you your food. They clean your toilet and make your bed. And when you don't tip them, they don't get paid.

When you smuggle booze, the ship doesn't get revenue... but the ship hasn't provided any service.

You really don't see a difference.

The crew gets paid for the work they do mostly through passenger tips. It may be an idiotic system, but that is how they get paid for they jobs. They do their job. They bring you your food. They clean your toilet and make your bed. And when you don't tip them, they don't get paid.

When you smuggle booze, the ship doesn't get revenue... but the ship hasn't provided any service.

So that makes it all right then?

If you have had your fill of smuggled booze in your cabin, then potentially that will make you less likely to drink more of the legitimate alcohol available on board so indirectly, your smuggled booze is depriving staff of their tips by virtue of a smuggler buying fewer paid drinks where the waiter/bartender would get a tip(s).

As I quoted in my post, the tipping argument has been discussed on another closed thread 'ad nauseum' and is for another day!

Passenger off Voyager of the Seas reported 400 suitcases were held in the "Naughty Room"

Maybe they have new technology to target those rum runners?

Someone earlier did mention that any confiscated alcohol will now not be returned.

Does anyone know what will actually happen to that booze?

If 400 cases have been sent to the naughty room on one cruise - then there would be enough hooch for one hell of a party!:)

Passenger off Voyager of the Seas reported 400 suitcases were held in the "Naughty Room"

My understanding from this (and another post I read) is that many of these did not even have contraband ... they just had to wait in a long line to retrieve their luggage and prove they didn't have anything. What a hassle! RC is going to have some very upset customers if they continue that. We leave Sunday, from the same port (Galv). Might be our first and last RC cruise!

You have obviously read enough of these threads to know for a lot of people it is not about cost. It is about being able to drink what you want, when you want and how you want on your private balcony.

I'm on vacation and I don't want to have to plan to have a drink on my balcony if I feel like one. I get back from the beach, take a shower, the sun is setting, I have a little time to kill, I am very content chilling on my balcony and would like a drink on my balcony right now while I have 20 minutes of do nothing time. RCI's marketing must really work because I say "why not" and mix myself a drink from my smuggled, illegal, against the rules booze.

With the $4500 I spent on cruise fare alone for my family, the 3-4 bucks I might have just saved did not enter into the equation. As an aside I am not one of those people that will try to justify my smuggling by saying I still spend plenty on board. I believe that is irrelevant. RCI doesn't have a loophole in it's rules saying people who spend a certain amount onboard are allowed to smuggle booze.

I follow the suggested attire guidlines in the MDR but being only one person I am not a large enough sample to dispute your theory. Perhaps you should start a poll.

I agree, its nothing to do with the money, if they sold a bottle of my favourite for £200. to take to my cabin, I would buy it, for the convenience.

I didn't say that. I personally don't have any issues with people smuggling. Other people do. There's a lot of reasonable debate to be had.

What I am saying is that the morality of smuggling is completely different from the morality of accepting the services of crew members, then refusing to pay them for those services.

your smuggled booze is depriving staff of their tips by virtue of a smuggler buying fewer paid drinks where the waiter/bartender would get a tip(s).

Seriously?? You are continuing this argument?? You really want to equate the morality of benefiting from the services of cabin stewards and food servers and not paying them to the morality of not paying a bartender who hasn't done any work for you and not provided you any services?

My understanding from this (and another post I read) is that many of these did not even have contraband ... they just had to wait in a long line to retrieve their luggage and prove they didn't have anything. What a hassle! RC is going to have some very upset customers if they continue that. We leave Sunday, from the same port (Galv). Might be our first and last RC cruise!

They really don't care I had to wait an hour in line because Like an idiot I forgot and through 2 bottles of water in my bag from our pre-cruise stay. Had to go open the suitcase , they actually smelled around the seal of the water , I was like , really.

NCL and Carnival allows you to "legally" bring on 1 bottle o wine or champagne or 6 pack. Would be nice if RCL would do the same :cool:.

Oh well will get creative with concealing my goodies.

I have done the water bottle of vodka thing myself LOL

I can't speak to Carnival policy, but NCL will let you bring on as many bottles of wine/champagne as you wish...for a $15 corkage fee per bottle. Sodas/water/mixers are fine; beer and any other alcohol is prohibited.

As an island dweller

Smuggling

is a national past time , The thrill of it is trying to get one over on the powers that be , if they did not tax out booze and

ciggies

so much we would not do it , power to your elbow if you can get away with it :cool::cool:

You have obviously read enough of these threads to know for a lot of people it is not about cost. It is about being able to drink what you want, when you want and how you want on your private balcony.

I'm on vacation and I don't want to have to plan to have a drink on my balcony if I feel like one. I get back from the beach, take a shower, the sun is setting, I have a little time to kill, I am very content chilling on my balcony and would like a drink on my balcony right now while I have 20 minutes of do nothing time. RCI's marketing must really work because I say "why not" and mix myself a drink from my smuggled, illegal, against the rules booze.

With the $4500 I spent on cruise fare alone for my family, the 3-4 bucks I might have just saved did not enter into the equation. As an aside I am not one of those people that will try to justify my smuggling by saying I still spend plenty on board. I believe that is irrelevant. RCI doesn't have a loophole in it's rules saying people who spend a certain amount onboard are allowed to smuggle booze.

I follow the suggested attire guidlines in the MDR but being only one person I am not a large enough sample to dispute your theory. Perhaps you should start a poll.

Entitled much. I know there is a rule but I don't care it's not convenient for ME. As stated before on several threads you know the rules going in. If you don't like them either find a different style of vacation that fits your needs or use another cruise line that will allow you your choice to do what you like.

Maybe they have new technology to target those rum runners?

Yeah, that was me. You can read all about it in my blog. They had over 400 bags!!

I was able to get some 'skinny' from the security guard who stayed with us during our bridge tour.

I tried to do a quick count and estimated 400. He confirmed that it was at least that many.

If you have had your fill of smuggled booze in your cabin, then potentially that will make you less likely to drink more of the legitimate alcohol available on board so indirectly, your smuggled booze is depriving staff of their tips by virtue of a smuggler buying fewer paid drinks where the waiter/bartender would get a tip(s).

As I quoted in my post, the tipping argument has been discussed on another closed thread 'ad nauseum' and is for another day!

I sure wish this was true for me. I smuggled booze on my last cruise and ended up with a bigger bar bill than if I hadn't drank in my room first. I ended up buying a round of drinks for 26 people. If I hadn't drank so much, I wouldn't have done that.

No, I wasn't so drunk as to make poor decisions like, falling off the ship, inviting or being invited to a strangers room, disturbing fellow passengers, etc, but I was having a good enough time to make the poor decision of inviting everyone else to join me.

All these people on their high horses need to be knocked down to earth. Everyone of you who have posted neg things about people bringing drinks on board Im sure are no perfect angles. You want to tell me your've never gone over the speed limit? switched lanes without a blinker? Maybe you left a store and didnt pay for something on accident and never went back and paid? Hell maybe you cheated on a test when you were a kid. My point is the whole world is filled with rules. Im sure you all are guilty of breaking a few along the way. What makes you any better then the rest? If someone has multiple kids and they want to take their kids on a vacation who are you to say they shouldnt go because they cant afford a few over priced drinks........ seriously grow up people. its just sad. The tip story is just too priceless. Come on you think royal was sitting there banning this stuff because of tips? ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Adam is sitting in his chair thinking, "I'd like that new Porsche. Ban bringing drinks on". thanks

All these people on their high horses need to be knocked down to earth. Everyone of you who have posted neg things about people bringing drinks on board Im sure are no perfect angles. You want to tell me your've never gone over the speed limit? switched lanes without a blinker? Maybe you left a store and didnt pay for something on accident and never went back and paid? Hell maybe you cheated on a test when you were a kid. My point is the whole world is filled with rules. Im sure you all are guilty of breaking a few along the way. What makes you any better then the rest? If someone has multiple kids and they want to take their kids on a vacation who are you to say they shouldnt go because they cant afford a few over priced drinks........ seriously grow up people. its just sad. The tip story is just too priceless. Come on you think royal was sitting there banning this stuff because of tips? ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Adam is sitting in his chair thinking, "I'd like that new Porsche. Ban bringing drinks on". thanks

Agreed. How many have never eaten a grape in the grocery store while in the produce section, taken a pen from work, jaywalked, fudged on their taxes...the list goes on. If such a perfect person exists then that person has the right to criticize everyone else. Everyone else needs to button it...

Archived