65 Deck chairs on Statendam, LP deck

casavaha

We are on the Statendam in Costa Rica. The entire trip we have had only 65 deck

chairs on the Lower Promenade Deck the entire cruise. The ship is full. We have

complained to everyone and really only get the usual HAL response: "Yours is the only

complaint that we have heard.

With over 1250 pax on board this is a real problem. I know HAL is cutting back, but

this is over the top.

We were told that more would be added when we went thru the canal. In both

crossings,no new chairs.

We have had other issues with the cruise but I will talk about those in a separate

thread.

Greg

I'm surprised that the ship is allowed to have so many chairs on that deck.

Since the area you are talking about is filled with muster stations, the Coast Guard and the insurance companies set very strict limits on the number of chairs allowed on that deck.

There is even a special emergency team on the ship, trained to throw all the deck chairs from the Prmenade Deck overboard in case of emergency.

The Princess Grand Class ships that carry 3,500 passengers are not allowed to have more than 50 deck chairs on their promenade decks

Since the area you are talking about is filled with muster stations, the Coast Guard and the insurance companies set very strict limits on the number of chairs allowed on that deck.

There is even a special emergency team on the ship, trained to throw all the deck chairs from the Prmenade Deck overboard in case of emergency.

The Princess Grand Class ships that carry 3,500 passengers are not allowed to have more than 50 deck chairs on their promenade decks

OH my it wasn't a joke...:)

We were on a B2B on the Noordam in Nov. & found that many times it was not possible to find deck chairs out on the Promenade Deck, unless we got there at the crack of dawn.. Then when we went to lunch, there were many Psgrs. waiting for us to leave ...We had the same trouble finding chairs after lunch ...

I happened to see James Deering, the Hotel Manager, one day & asked him why they could not put more deck chairs out....He gave me the exact same answer that Bruce Muzz posted...He said the namer of chairs were regulated by the Coast Guard & if there was an emergency they had a special crew assigned to throw deck chairs overboard..:eek: I believed the part about the Coast Guard regulations but thought his remark about crew being assigned to throw them overboard was meant as a joke....I'm amazed now to find out it wasn't a joke..

One reason we so enjoyed the Lanai on the Veendam, was the dedicated chairs just for the lanai cabins..:):)

Agree with Sail, I see no reason why the Front Desk can't be honest about it & tell Passengers that the number of chairs are regulated by the Coast Guard..

Cheers...:)Betty

complained to everyone and really only get the usual HAL response: "Yours is the only

With over 1250 pax on board this is a real problem. I know HAL is cutting back, but

this is over the top.

crossings,no new chairs.

We have had other issues with the cruise but I will talk about those in a separate

thread.

Greg

I hope this is not the new HAL response. when we were on the NA and I went to the shore excursion desk to express our dismay with the FADO tour, that was the same answer I got - you are the only one to complain - even though I knew 5 couples from our cruise critic group had complained as well.

this is over the top.

crossings,no new chairs.

thread.

Greg

I believe cruise lines do not want deck chairs on thier promanade decks, they want passengers up around the pool areas where they can hassle them to buy drinks. Any explanation it is for safety and insurances issues is a lot of, you know what.

" A special emergency team on the ship "

:):):):):)

Wow, I hadn't seen this! This is incredible! I hadn't though about deck chairs being a problem in an emergency.

If, thanks to Coast Guard regulations, HAL is going to have to reduce the number of deck chairs on the Lower Promenade to fewer than 65, what will happen to the Lanai cabin deck chairs that are reserved for the passengers in the Lani's? There are 38 Lanai's on the Veendam; each cabin has 2 dedicated deck chairs, adding up to 76 chairs. Those not in Lanai's won't be able to have any chairs at all, and several of those with Lanais are going to be shorted a chair or two to get the ship down bellow 65 chairs on the Promenade.

Or, have I missed something?

Wow, I hadn't seen this! This is incredible! I hadn't though about deck chairs being a problem in an emergency.

If, thanks to Coast Guard regulations, HAL is going to have to reduce the number of deck chairs on the Lower Promenade to fewer than 65, what will happen to the Lanai cabin deck chairs that are reserved for the passengers in the Lani's? There are 38 Lanai's on the Veendam; each cabin has 2 dedicated deck chairs, adding up to 76 chairs. Those not in Lanai's won't be able to have any chairs at all, and several of those with Lanais are going to be shorted a chair or two to get the ship down bellow 65 chairs on the Promenade.

Or, have I missed something?

Ah ha Greg, Methinks you are on to something! ;) And believe there may be something wrong in Denmark!

Come to think of it, we were in one of those Lanai Cabins on the Veendam in Aug...In addition to the assigned deck chairs for all the Lanai's, there were many more deck chairs out on deck which were not assigned....I never bothered to count them but maybe will next time....;)

We've all either missed something or have been conned! Hmmm.;)

Chees....:)Betty

Thank you for all the responses to my comment. I have just returned from the

Statendam. We were in Acapulco with the Zahndam. I checked with the passengers

on board who said the deck chairs completely surround the lower promenade deck.

There is no Coast Guard regulation regarding deck chairs on the LP. The best

reason is probably no revenue. Send down a waiter.

I have enclosed a few photos.

Greg

1880369035_stantendamxmas2010418.jpg.83799732efc556030cd5dace48771cb8.jpg

608713244_stantendamxmas2010419.jpg.a62c45abd63be2df8014287c03205b2c.jpg

1531092711_stantendamxmas2010421.jpg.2c157b161c3d07c8e2a4294df10c0809.jpg

2100959827_stantendamxmas2010425.jpg.040399e509cfcb8cf8122b5c6f5fa414.jpg

597263567_stantendamxmas2010424.jpg.4effe5c4216b96f29f26fb674f733f2b.jpg

Archived