Jewelry in carry-on??

mommy5

Question about jewelry....I take a fairly large jewelry thing with compartments that rolls up and hangs on rod or door. I have been afraid to put it in a carry on because of "safety" restrictions. Do you every have a security problem with this??? Necklaces...earrings have pointy ends....

If you do take them in carry on, do you just claim it for xray as a metal object??

Thanks!

Deb

Question about jewelry....I take a fairly large jewelry thing with compartments that rolls up and hangs on rod or door. I have been afraid to put it in a carry on because of "safety" restrictions. Do you every have a security problem with this??? Necklaces...earrings have pointy ends....

If you do take them in carry on, do you just claim it for xray as a metal object??

Thanks!

Deb

Deb,

I have never had a problem with my jewelry being in the carryon bag. No questions asked, I did have to empty it on our last trip, but that was because of the netbook,cameras and all that went with them. Enjoy your cruise!

Neverthought

You ALWAYS carry ANYTHING of value in your carry-on, or with you. Jewelry, electronics, your cash and credit cards.....NEVER, EVER put items you would hate to lose in your checked bags....NEVER!

Just leave the jewelry in your bag...it will go thru x-ray just fine. They aren't looking for strictly "metal" objects, but DANGEROUS items, like guns, knives, bombs, etc! They don't care about your pierced earrings!

I got pulled aside once at the port x-ray machine. They asked if I had brass knuckles in my carry on. What the????? Then they asked if I had a jewelry box with rings. Oh yes, about 5-6, in a row in a case. Too funny.

This is one of the cases when profiling would make sense. Unless of course you were dressed in your ganster outfit!;)

I got pulled aside once at the port x-ray machine. They asked if I had brass knuckles in my carry on. What the????? Then they asked if I had a jewelry box with rings. Oh yes, about 5-6, in a row in a case. Too funny.

BF and I just laughed out loud when I read this.

OP, I always take my jewelry with me in my carry-on... I'm sure the luggage handlers are fine people but I prefer to keep it with me all the time. I've never been stopped for it.

I agree with the others, I'm sure you'll be fine. They are looking for items that could be used as weapons. I have never had a problem with jewelry in my carry-on, and in fact it gives me peace of mind to travel with it close to me.

An unasked-for piece of advice as well; I know the over the door case you describe and if I were you, I would hang it in the closet when leaving the room. I wouldn't want it in sight; the room steward can sometimes prop the door open when servicing the rooms and people can see in. We've seen into others' rooms many times. I would suggest just putting it "away" when you leave the room. :)

I don't pack it in my carry on, I pack it into my purse. That started after my carry on was taken from me and gate checked. They didn't allow me time to go through the bag, just took it and gave me a claim check. We were almost last on the plane and all the overhead bins were full.

I don't worry about the costume jewelry, but what was in my carry on was my good stuff, plus camera, plus meds.

My costume jewelry I pack into drawstring bags and hang it with the outfits in our garment bag.

Edit to add: I also lock my carry on now for the same reason.

there is Good stuff, and costumy stuff. Biggggg stuff mostly, and would hate to part with any of it ! I have not been pulled over, ever to inspect. I have offered to let them, and they declined. I do keep it in the safe, and have never missed anything. There is no use having it, if I cant wear it. I take a lot of rings, but in a small zippy case...LOL on the brass knuckles!

i ALWAYS have my jewelry in my Personal Carry-on ...Carry-ons can be GATE CHECKED and i do want everything of value and meds etc WITH ME!!

more times than not my bag is pulled aside or hubbys (he carries on some of my jewelry too) and it is gone thru...i take ALOT MORE than ENOUGH

but i ALWAYS PLAN for it--pulled aside and gone thru--its not a BIG deal for me anymore...its always you have alot of METAL and i say its my jewelry and they go thru some of it...but i recommend to keep it in your PERSONAL BAG and not one that can be GATE CHECKED!

Archived