Few Q's about internet access, MDR, non-US passports

Anginette

Hello, I haven't been on NCL in a few years so wanted to update myself on a few things :)

1. Does the internet cafe still supply Ethernet cables or is everything now wireless? If it's all wireless, can you connect from your stateroom or do you need to go to the internet cafe itself?

2. Is the MDR still open for lunch on embarkation day? If so, when does it close?

3. Does NCL take and hold the passports of non-US citizens for the duration of the cruise? My friend is wondering if she will have to wake up early to collect it on the last day.

Yes, one of the MDR will be open.

Internet - Ships have some wireless, and some cabins might have a signal. No matter what you hear, you should always travel with a cable in your bag. They weigh nothing and a worth alot if you need it. Even if they have some at the cafe, they could run out.

Hello, I haven't been on NCL in a few years so wanted to update myself on a few things :)

1. Does the internet cafe still supply Ethernet cables or is everything now wireless? If it's all wireless, can you connect from your stateroom or do you need to go to the internet cafe itself?

2. Is the MDR still open for lunch on embarkation day? If so, when does it close?

3. Does NCL take and hold the passports of non-US citizens for the duration of the cruise? My friend is wondering if she will have to wake up early to collect it on the last day.

bf has a non US passport. they didn't take it.

however to check him in tookmore that the 30 secs it took for DD & I...

I think the guy might have ran off to make a photocopy of it or something.

is the gem wireless or you need an ethernet cable to connect?

The Gem is mainly wireless (especially in the suites) but I always use my ethernet cable to try and provide the maximum connection speed on a fairly slow system.

Regarding your internet question... We brought our laptop on the Jewel and a cable for our stateroom but didn't need it as all staterooms now have wireless.

Our Canadian relatives passports were not taken and held by the cruise line.

That's the key,. They do still take and hold some passports from overseas but not Canadian ones.

Oh, if that's the case, it might be different for us as my friend's passport is from Singapore. I guess we're just going to have to find out on the ship!

Oh, if that's the case, it might be different for us as my friend's passport is from Singapore. I guess we're just going to have to find out on the ship!

When we started cruising 5 years ago, they held ours. They didn't on one trip and I recall specifically that the check-in clerk said "we don't hold U.S. or Canadian ones but we hold the rest still." That may have changed since, though.

Our (British + German passports) have not been collected, but I believe a photocopy was made on our last cruise. The guy said something about it being due to ESTA. That's the electronic version of the green I-94 form non-Visa holders need to fill out.

Archived