Best chance to get 2-person table--early or late seating?

TwoCalBears

We are planning to take the 30-day Circle Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas cruise on the Westerdam this fall, and intend to sign up for fixed seating in the upper dining room. We are wondering if anyone knows whether it is easier to get a 2-person table for the early or the late seating? And are there other factors that affect likelihood of getting a 2-person table, such how early you make your reservation or class of cabin?

there is no right or wrong answer to either seating. It will depend upon who is cruising. i do think booking early really helps. so, I would make my choice and book it. I don't know if HAL could shed any light if you called them:confused:

We normally request our table by specific table number. These dining room maps give details. If you'll pick your sized ship, switch to full screen view, then click on it ... it will enlarge enough to read the numbers.

2040113430101871348rlFYMZ_th.jpg

If we book far enough in advance, we always get our preference. I think it helps to be specific ... but who knows.

We have always considered one of the many joys of cruising is discussing the days adventures over dinner with new-found friends. Have you considered a larger table?

RonJoan (SC Trojans)

I wanted to add my experience with this. I fully intended to always push for a table for 2 on my last cruise. (We had Open seating). The first night we got there, we were placed with I believe 3 other couples, but you know, it ended up being cool to have other people to talk to besides my significant other lol. It's nice to hear about which excursions people did (or didn't) do, what was seen, etc. While it's nice to have a private table now and then, I'd think 30 days of it would drive me mad! :-)

Just an opinion, of course. I can tell you that we never seemed to get a table for 2 when we went (we always went 7-8pm timeframe) but we also didn't push for it.

We normally request our table by specific table number. These dining room maps give details. If you'll pick your sized ship, switch to full screen view, then click on it ... it will enlarge enough to read the numbers.

2040113430101871348rlFYMZ_th.jpg

If we book far enough in advance, we always get our preference. I think it helps to be specific ... but who knows.

The Nieuw Amsterdam-what type of ship wpuld this be, so I can see which dining room I should look at. Thank you.

I think your chances would be much better on the late seating. On every HAL cruise I've seen early goes first.

We have been cruising for many years and up until last year's 39 day cruise on the Prinsendam (first time on her) have never have a problem getting a fixed late seating table for two through our travel agent as we always book some months ahead. To our dismay we were informed on this cruise (Transatlantic Europe and North Cape) after boarding ship that we were unable to do so and must sit in AYW. They supposedly gave us a table for two which they had to confirm by a notice eavery day. However the table was shoulder to shoulder with a table for four, making in effect a table for six. Finally at the end of the first half on the cruise they moved us to late fixed seating and table for two which is much more to our liking.

We have been cruising for many years and up until last year's 39 day cruise on the Prinsendam (first time on her) have never have a problem getting a fixed late seating table for two through our travel agent as we always book some months ahead. To our dismay we were informed on this cruise (Transatlantic Europe and North Cape) after boarding ship that we were unable to do so and must sit in AYW. They supposedly gave us a table for two which they had to confirm by a notice eavery day. However the table was shoulder to shoulder with a table for four, making in effect a table for six. Finally at the end of the first half on the cruise they moved us to late fixed seating and table for two which is much more to our liking.

I assume you mean "open" when you say AYW. The whole dining program with HAL is called AYW. I'm just saying you are MORE likely to get in to late. If both are gone....there is no other place to go but open.

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly to our question about how to maximize our chances of getting a 2-person table. We are planning to book our cruise immediately, especially inasmuch as several people said that they thought that booking early helps, and we'll request late seating, as several other people said our chances would be better at late seating. We also used the link to the table number webpage, to get #'s of 2-person tables on Vista class ships. We also appreciate the advice of those who said that we should keep an open mind about multi-person tables; it's just that the two of us have been working really hard for the last year or so, and are really hungry for time together :-)

I agree that it can be fun to share a table with others. Unfortunately, we have had too many experiences with table mates who insisted on dominating the conversation, lecturing, or feuding with each other. The loudest and most assertive person(s) at the table usually seemed to hold forth. We've changed tables, only to find the new one just as bad. I feel that being a good listener is just as gratifying as being a speaker. Some people don't seem to get this. We also like "non-fixed" seating. That way we can choose to dine with any new friends we might encounter. The other experience we've had is that the larger the table, the longer the meal would take, sometimes as long as 2 1/2 hrs. I don't mean to sound overly critical. These are just our experiences.

I agree that it can be fun to share a table with others. Unfortunately, we have had too many experiences with table mates who insisted on dominating the conversation, lecturing, or feuding with each other. The loudest and most assertive person(s) at the table usually seemed to hold forth. We've changed tables, only to find the new one just as bad. I feel that being a good listener is just as gratifying as being a speaker. Some people don't seem to get this. We also like "non-fixed" seating. That way we can choose to dine with any new friends we might encounter. The other experience we've had is that the larger the table, the longer the meal would take, sometimes as long as 2 1/2 hrs. I don't mean to sound overly critical. These are just our experiences.

I agree...there is always one at every table. I'm trying open for the first time on my next cruise because I've found traditional to be a bit of a drag lately for the very reason.

I don't believe it's been mentioned in this thread yet---

There's a package that can be purchased that (supposedly) guarantees you a table for two, among other things. Presumably, this is for fixed seating, as open seating would be more difficult to make that guarantee for.

I can't recall the exact name of the package. It could be "Just for Us", or have some sort of name that includes the word "Romance", or "Romantic".

I wish I could rememer, but this might be of help.

We had a couple of bad table mates on early cruises, and now get tables for 2 as often as we can.

Another problem with large tables for us it that it takes soooooooo long! We want to be out as quickly as we can, even if we're not doing anything special afterward. If we have bad table mates to boot, it's just torture for us.

I can't recall the exact name of the package. It could be "Just for Us", or have some sort of name that includes the word "Romance", or "Romantic".

Yes, it's "Just For Us". I don't know any details, though.

Loftken -

We can relate! We now always opt for open seating for dinner. Most times we ask for a table for 2, sometimes we dine with other people (at least if it doesn't work out, it's only for 1 night!) Our fixed dining days (nights?) are over. We, too have experienced one too many tables with dominating personalities, lecturing, or petty disagreements.

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly to our question about how to maximize our chances of getting a 2-person table. We are planning to book our cruise immediately, especially inasmuch as several people said that they thought that booking early helps, and we'll request late seating, as several other people said our chances would be better at late seating. We also used the link to the table number webpage, to get #'s of 2-person tables on Vista class ships. We also appreciate the advice of those who said that we should keep an open mind about multi-person tables; it's just that the two of us have been working really hard for the last year or so, and are really hungry for time together :-)

Would you be kind enough to send the link to the schematic of the table arrangements in the fixed dining room, Thanks in advance.

The Nieuw Amsterdam-what type of ship wpuld this be, so I can see which dining room I should look at. Thank you.

I do not think it helps to ask for a specific table #, table #s are switched around in the MDR all the time. Ask for a table for 2, have your TA request it when you book. Check to see you got what you like when you get on board, speak to the matre'd if necessary to request a change. That's what we do, works for us. Years ago we shared tables, really prefer our own company, we leave the larger tables for those who love to meet new folks.

I do not think it helps to ask for a specific table #, table #s are switched around in the MDR all the time. Ask for a table for 2, have your TA request it when you book. Check to see you got what you like when you get on board, speak to the matre'd if necessary to request a change. That's what we do, works for us. Years ago we shared tables, really prefer our own company, we leave the larger tables for those who love to meet new folks.

We couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

We have done all of the above for many years and this last years cruise on the Prinsendam was the first time ever our months early request by our TA was denied, until the first half of the cruise ended even though we checked several times with the maitre d.

The sooner you book the cruise -- the better chance you have to get a table for 2 at either sitting.

Deluxe Suite guests are suppose to get a choice of what they want.

That refers primarily to TIME. If you're picking a set time and it is waitlisted, Ship Services can override and lock in the time.

Table SIZE for all guests on all cruises is a request basis ONLY. You can ask Ship Services if thwey can help you reserve a specific table (sometimes yes, sometimes they can't) but literally and very truly, the only thing that GUARANTEES you a table for 2 is the "Just For Us" gift package that you can pre-purchase. It's pricy but includes a lot of stuff. It's not for everyone but especially if you're doing a honeymoon or anniversary or a cruise is the only time for "us/we" time, it can be a really good way to go

I agree ... particularly on longer cruises with many early-to-eat, early-to-bed oldsters! :)

YIKES!...does this mean that my 30 day on the Zaandam, Collectors Cruise Dec 23/11 to Jan 22/12 Sydney to Hong Kong is going to be a floating geriatric ward?:(:eek::(...not that I have ANYTHING against Seniors...I'll be part of that Club soon enough in 20 years time!

Archived