Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

The only place I've seen this is on the Allure, though I'm sure it's also on the Oasis. It might(?) be on Freedom Class ships, and I have not seen it on the Navigator (Voyager class).

So if I had to guess I'd say "no" on Voyager class and down, maybe on Freedom class, and yes on Oasis class.

Anyone know for sure? I don't feel like dealing with the turtle-slow website to get the answer.

We just had the dinner on the Enchantment on January 9th. It wasn't called Chef's Table - and truth be known, I can't remember exactly what it was called. Wine Pairing or something like that.

Five courses at Chops with wine at each course. Our group of seven (no children!) went through nine bottles of wine. First course was smoked duck salad, second was a trio of soups**, third was crab and scallop cake, fourth was filet of beef and dessert. The food was lovely, except for dessert. I lucked out though because it was my birthday, they had given me a special dessert. And of course, since no one liked their dessert, they brought out something else.

** when I read the menu, I thought the trio of soups was dumb. But they were absolutely to die for. They were served in expresso cups and were chicken consumme, mushroom truffle and split pea. Wonderful!

The cost was $74.50 pp

I can't imagine what I would discuss with perfect strangers that couldn't be discussed in the presence of children.

I would not want my kids listening in on some conversations about certain current events, celebrity antics, political opinions that are expressed too strongly, etc. Kids hear everything and there are sometimes adult conversation, even if it is not racy/illicit, is not appropriate for them IMHO.

I would not want my kids listening in on some conversations about certain current events, celebrity antics, political opinions that are expressed too strongly, etc. Kids hear everything and there are sometimes adult conversation, even if it is not racy/illicit, is not appropriate for them IMHO.

Then it would be up to you to remove your children, not up to me to change my plans.

We dined at Portofino last week..a couple came in with what appeared to be a 1 year old.

We had an early reservation and are fully aware that kids are allowed prior to 7 pm.

The baby starting screaming and to the credit of the mother she removed him from the dining room. She could have stayed and forced the rest of us to eat while her child was screaming. Would other pax be as considerate? Maybe not..probably not but we certainly appreciated her consideration.

If that had happened at the Chefs table..we would have left and demanded our money back. I'm glad the OP gave the kids a chance and didn't just leave.

Sometimes things work out but I can understand why some would question why children are there in the first place, regardless of their good behavior.

I can't imagine what I would discuss with perfect strangers that couldn't be discussed in the presence of children.

Most of our cruises have involved being seated with at least one couple we haven't met before. Even so, the subject of conversation is not always "G" rated. Argue as you will, that's often the way it is.

Edited by twoputt.plusone

Just the type of coversations that should not be discussed at a dinning table with strangers (IMHO). I don't even discuss politics with some of my cloesest friends as it would get heated.

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

I find this to be harsh. Families take their kids on a cruise for a wonderful experience. Time together as a family. While I do not think all kids belong at an event like this, if there are no specific age guidelines posted, it would be up to the parent to judge the maturity of the child before booking. This family was clearly correct when they decided their children would behave accordingly. I would take my 8 year son in a heartbeat IF HE WERE ALLOWED by age limits set as I am confident he would be respectful, use table manners and would really enjoy the food. There is no way I would EVER take my nephew as he is the "eeeew! gross! I do not liiiiiiike this fooooooood!" type.

No one likes generalisations. Would anyone like it if someone said "I would ask for my money back if there were boring old people at my table?" - of course not, it would be rude.

I find this to be harsh. Families take their kids on a cruise for a wonderful experience. Time together as a family. While I do not think all kids belong at an event like this, if there are no specific age guidelines posted, it would be up to the parent to judge the maturity of the child before booking. This family was clearly correct when they decided their children would behave accordingly. I would take my 8 year son in a heartbeat IF HE WERE ALLOWED by age limits set as I am confident he would be respectful, use table manners and would really enjoy the food. There is no way I would EVER take my nephew as he is the "eeeew! gross! I do not liiiiiiike this fooooooood!" type.

No one likes generalisations. Would anyone like it if someone said "I would ask for my money back if there were boring old people at my table?" - of course not, it would be rude.

I agree pretty much with everything that you said above. We have some great memories of family vacations....I wouldn't have considered vacationing without my kids when they were young.

BUT kids aren't allowed at the dinners....why do people insist on taking them? It's a fairly expensive dinner - I would have been put out if I sat down at the table and there were toddlers seated.

The total putdown of children is unnecessary.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentSiteletSub.do?pagename=sub_royal_advantage_RD&pagenameMain=royal_advantage_main&discriminators=0

Re: a question about what ships have the cheif's table

Here is the link for enhancement to the Radiance by the summer of 2011.

When I did my search of the internet I just copied what first came up using Royal Carribean chef's table...and I forgot that RCI had recently borrowed this idea from another cruise line that has it on most of their ships.

Edited by land lover

I agree pretty much with everything that you said above. We have some great memories of family vacations....I wouldn't have considered vacationing without my kids when they were young.

BUT kids aren't allowed at the dinners....why do people insist on taking them? It's a fairly expensive dinner - I would have been put out if I sat down at the table and there were toddlers seated.

The total putdown of children is unnecessary.

If it states somewhere clearly that no one under a certain age is permitted then I 100% agree that the kids should not be in there. However, it seems that there is some discrepancy as to whether this is a rule or rumour. Having said that, we are cruising with our two for the first time soon. We have gone alone. We have asked for a table for 4 or if not available, to be seated with another family. I know that if I were on an adults only I would appreciate no kids at my table. But they are also (as you agreed) 100% entitled to a wonderful family vacation and we are all lucky to be able to give them this.

I had thought I read something about Chef's Table being only for those 21 and over, but in looking back at our Cruise Compasses, it doesn't mention anything about "adults only" when it was advertised. They did ask a younger-looking gentleman at our table his age discreetly before pouring the wine, but I presume this is to verify he was able to drink, not eat at the table.

It was at that same Chef's Table that we endured the most obnoxious, offensive, dining mate I have ever seen in my 40+ years, and I can assure you I would have rather had a well-behaved child in that seat any day of the week.

No, it's not. Someone far more versed in RCCL than I will provide a better answer to your question.

The only place I've seen this is on the Allure, though I'm sure it's also on the Oasis. It might(?) be on Freedom Class ships, and I have not seen it on the Navigator (Voyager class).

So if I had to guess I'd say "no" on Voyager class and down, maybe on Freedom class, and yes on Oasis class.

Anyone know for sure? I don't feel like dealing with the turtle-slow website to get the answer.

Only Oasis and Allure have the permanent Chef's Table venue, which is located on the second floor of the Concierge Lounge. Other ships have wine pairing dinners in Portofino, usually just on one night of the cruise, plus they may have a Mystery Dinner, although the wine for those is usually the house crud.

I'd love to see every ship offer some kind of Chef's Table. We went on the Carnival Paradise and, although they served far too much food, it was a fabulous experience with a galley tour first, then a nine course dinner in the library, with the Executive Chef explaining every course in detail.

As for kids at the table, I would have been fine so long as they were occupied by somebody else. I'm not around children much and don't think I could carry a conversation with one for an entire dinner.:)

Nothing wrong with this...however the cruise line would have every right to still charge you.

The OP made the best of a not ideal situation.

If the minimum age for any venue on the ship is posted somewhere (internet or in the venue itself), RCCL would not be delivering the advertised experience to their customers if they allowed children in an adults only venue.

If there is a minimum age designated for the Chef's Table, we would have requested our money back before the experience began and I would have no doubt that RCCL would have to refund the money. The product they delivered was not the experience they advertised. I would imagine the hotel director would have rectified the situation if it was not rectified at the dining venue.

How is it advertised as an adult dinner?! Do you see that anywhere in this description?

Chef's Table

Experience our most intimate and decadent onboard dining at Chef's Table. In this exclusive space, 14 guests will enjoy a specially-prepared menu of gourmet selections, chosen by the evening’s featured chef, who will personally present each course. Before the wine-paired meal, guests have the opportunity to meet and mingle at a cocktail party.

Unfortunately, I don't see a minimum age requirement in this description. However, the specialty restaurants do have a minimum age requirement after a certain hour. NCL has a minimum age requirement for their specialty restaurants after a certain hour and I may be mistaken that RCCL has a minimum age also.

To whom ever mentioned they did not want to be seated at a table in the MDR with a child because they would have to curtail the subject matter of their conversation. What in the world do you discuss at dinner with a table full of strangers that can't be discussed with in the ear shot of a child. Most conversations I have that are not fit for children are not fit with anyone but close friends and family if them. I would ask for a change in subject with children present or not...

Sitting at a table with children is like cruising on a Disney ship. Just not for me.m Have you ever seen an adults only comedy show on a ship and laughed so hard it hurt? Have you ever discussed that show with your table mates in the MDR? This is just an example of what I'm trying to say. That conversation would not happen with children present at the table.

Edited by coffeebean

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

Wow what an idiotic thing to say! Kind of embarrassed to notice you're Canadian.

We just had the dinner on the Enchantment on January 9th. It wasn't called Chef's Table - and truth be known, I can't remember exactly what it was called. Wine Pairing or something like that.

Five courses at Chops with wine at each course. Our group of seven (no children!) went through nine bottles of wine. First course was smoked duck salad, second was a trio of soups**, third was crab and scallop cake, fourth was filet of beef and dessert. The food was lovely, except for dessert. I lucked out though because it was my birthday, they had given me a special dessert. And of course, since no one liked their dessert, they brought out something else.

** when I read the menu, I thought the trio of soups was dumb. But they were absolutely to die for. They were served in expresso cups and were chicken consumme, mushroom truffle and split pea. Wonderful!

The cost was $74.50 pp

This sounds like 150 Central Park which is a dining venue on the Oasis and Allure.

Edited by coffeebean

You made my point very well. Thank you.

What amazes me more than anything is that someone would actually pay $75 to take a child to something like Chef's Table even if they are used to fine dining establishments at home. One of the biggest draws to it is the wine pairings and anyone under 21 cannot drink (technically) and therefore cannot fully appreciate the entire experience.

Although I have no kids of my own, I have no problem with them in nicer restaurants as long as they are well behaved. It amuses me when we go out to dinner with my 8 year old niece, how the server will look at my sister thinking she's going to order for her and my niece pipes up right away and gives her order with perfect clarity.

Just the type of conversations that should not be discussed at a dinning table with strangers (IMHO). I don't even discuss politics with some of my closest friends as it would get heated.

How about celebrity antics or certain current events as newbiecruiser suggested?

How about celebrity antics or certain current events as newbiecruiser suggested?

Perhaps a vacation at an adults only all inclusive resort would be a better fit for you than a cruise that welcomes guests of all ages. I don't say this to be mean, but if you don't like being around kids, you shouldn't be somewhere they are welcomed. Of course, venues with age limits are an exception. But the ship in general and the main dining room there shouldn't be any restrictions!