Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

They moved there from Kendall 10? years ago. My husband and I refer to it as Pleasantville. Unhappy people are not allowed. :p It works well for us. We have our own room and rent a car at the airport. It's a great base for us. Our winter vacation is out west this year so it will likely be June or July before we get there again.

It really is a nice place to live (particularly for south florida), much better then downtown miami where we stayed for a few years. (Talk about some unhappy people there! *grin*)

I have even started taking up golf this past summer and try to go once or twice a month (have you golfed at bonaventure? Might catch you there sometime!)

Thank you...I have to say I have been on cruises before I was a mother but the past 4 since I have been a mom with my son have been the best. RCCL is a FAMILY cruise line if you don't want ot see children go somewhere else.

I think you will totally agree that DISNEY is a FAMILY cruiseline. Having said that, they have several adult only venues in which children are decidedly not welcome and those areas are well enforced. All that is being said here is that Chef's Table is touted as an adult venue and those booking it have every right to expect it to be as advertised. I'm glad you enjoy cruising with your son - but just keep him out of adult only venues.

It really is a nice place to live (particularly for south florida), much better then downtown miami where we stayed for a few years. (Talk about some unhappy people there! *grin*)

I have even started taking up golf this past summer and try to go once or twice a month (have you golfed at bonaventure? Might catch you there sometime!)

Bonaventure, as a matter of fact I have. Can't remember which course but it was rough. There are much better courses around for the same or lower green fees. Check out Inverrary. Nice place and challenging. There's a really good municipal course at Arrowhead just a bit south off University. It was closed all last year for improvements.

Edited by twoputt.plusone

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

I think you will totally agree that DISNEY is a FAMILY cruiseline. Having said that, they have several adult only venues in which children are decidedly not welcome and those areas are well enforced. All that is being said here is that Chef's Table is touted as an adult venue and those booking it have every right to expect it to be as advertised. I'm glad you enjoy cruising with your son - but just keep him out of adult only venues.

I was refurring to the comment about not taking children on cruises as quoted above. I would never think of taking my son to chef's table or any other place with age requirements. And yes Disney is a family cruiseline AS IS RCCL. If they weren't then why in the world would they have the H2O Zone, Adventure Ocean oh yeah and teamed up with Dreamworks. Just saying.

Thank you...I have to say I have been on cruises before I was a mother but the past 4 since I have been a mom with my son have been the best. RCCL is a FAMILY cruise line if you don't want ot see children go somewhere else.

It's not that people oppose having kids on a cruise, it's that they oppose having kids in an adult only venue. For me, it seems selfish that parents bring their kids to adult only events/venues because they are only thinking about themselves and not the other people who are there for what is supposed to be a kid-free time.

I'm not anti-kid, especially on cruises. I think travel is important for learning and that learning different cultures improves everyone's view of life. I just don't agree with having children in an adult only area/venue/event.

It's not that people oppose having kids on a cruise, it's that they oppose having kids in an adult only venue. For me, it seems selfish that parents bring their kids to adult only events/venues because they are only thinking about themselves and not the other people who are there for what is supposed to be a kid-free time.

I'm not anti-kid, especially on cruises. I think travel is important for learning and that learning different cultures improves everyone's view of life. I just don't agree with having children in an adult only area/venue/event.

Did you not read my last post above???

Did you not read my last post above???

As a matter of fact, no. As you can see by the time stamp, you posted your reply a few minutes before me which means I was typing my response as yours was posted.

And your first response was in reference to momwiththreeboys's post and she was not quoting anyone at all, just making a general statement about kids and not even about cruising with kids. You should have referrenced one of the many posts about not taking kids on cruises to make your position a little clearer, as you later found out when you had to clarify.

Edited by buckanear

Wow, I didn't know they allowed donkeys on the ships. Can donkeys attend the Chef's table dinner?

According to DawnCT's confirmation, which I've pasted below, as long as the donkeys are at least 21 years old, they can attend.;):D

Here is a copy of the email that I received confirming our reservation;

Quote:

Good Day Mr. and Mrs. XXXX,

I apologize for the delay.

We have made reservations for a party of 3 at the Chef's Table for January

9, 2011, for booking number XXX, XX, XXX, and XXX YYY, per

your request. I have used the spellings within the reservations.

Reservations are for 7:30 PM and dinner is approximately 2 ½ hours long.

Dress is smart casual except on formal nights where formal attire is also

appropriate. Charges will be made to your Seapass Account once you are

onboard. Cost is $75.00 per person and includes gratuities, guests must be

21, and penalty for cancellations within 24 hours is $25.00 per person.

The Chef’s Table is located on the upper level of the Concierge lounge. Due

to the size of the venue all requests and confirmations are handled

manually. Please let this act as your only confirmation. I hope you enjoy a

fabulous evening hosted by an Oasis of the Seas Chef.

Regards,

Rob McGregor

Specialty Dining – Chef’s Table

Royal Caribbean International

800-398-9819 option # 3

I feel sorry for those of you who can't understand the joy that children can bring to your life.

Reading some of the previous messages, I have come to the conclusion that there are some very sad and selfish cruisers out there!! We have sailed with a 2 year old and again with a 5 and 2 year old and they have joined us for all meals. They have been very well behaved (better manners than some adults around us) and their parents received numerous comments re their well behaved children.

As another poster said, to each his own.......but, I am happy that we have not encountered some of these posters on any of our cruises.....maybe they need to have their own 'exclusive' (i.e., snob) cruises!

Reading some of the previous messages, I have come to the conclusion that there are some very sad and selfish cruisers out there!! We have sailed with a 2 year old and again with a 5 and 2 year old and they have joined us for all meals. They have been very well behaved (better manners than some adults around us) and their parents received numerous comments re their well behaved children.

As another poster said, to each his own.......but, I am happy that we have not encountered some of these posters on any of our cruises.....maybe they need to have their own 'exclusive' (i.e., snob) cruises!

I've tried refraining from this discussion but calling people snobs for not wanting children in venues where they are not entitled to be is ridiculous.

I am 28 and my husband is 30. I hope that one day I am able to have children but right now I love spending time with my nieces and nephews and have the ability to give them back! With that being said, when I pay a pretty large sum of money for my husband and I to take a cruise, the LAST thing I want is to hear is a child screaming/crying/being reprimanded/ etc. while I am enjoying the Solarium or an expensive meal. If I'm in an area/venue where I know children are welcome then I have NO RIGHT to feel that way, after all, they are kids, but if I am enjoying a quiet meal in a specialty restaurant then dammit, I want it without having to be called a snob, or selfish, or sad!

Edited by Spoiledliz

Before you accuse other cruisers of being sad and selfish, would you have taken a 2 year old and a 5 year old to an adult venue where the confirmation CLEARLY stated, "no one under 21 years of age", no matter how well behaved? I certainly wouldn't. We happened to have enjoyed our Chef's Table that particular night. Good thing too, because there wasn't an opportunity for a "do over" and $225 for our family was not inexpensive.

I think most everyone here agrees that if Chef's Table is marketed and is clearly identified as 21+, then children have no right to be there and RCI should enforce their own rules. But as I mentioned earlier, there was no mention of an age limit when the Chef's Table was advertised in the Cruise Compasses. Other things, such as the comedy show, are labeled as adult.

That being said, I had assumed it was 21+ since it is, in fact, a wine-pairing dinner. Although my 10-year old is a bit of a foodie, there is no way in hades that I was going to pay $75 for him to join us, even if there were no rule preventing his attendance.

My beef is with those who balk at the mere sight of a child at their table in the MDR. Some children, even very young ones, can be better tablemates than some adults. Now if you sit there the first night and that is not the case, you have a right to complain and move. And for the "adult conversation" argument, I would hope ANYONE at a large table with strangers in the MDR would refrain from politics, religion or other controversial subjects -- child or no child present.

I think most everyone here agrees that if Chef's Table is marketed and is clearly identified as 21+' date=' then children have no right to be there and RCI should enforce their own rules. But as I mentioned earlier, there was no mention of an age limit when the Chef's Table was advertised in the Cruise Compasses. Other things, such as the comedy show, are labeled as adult.

That being said, I had assumed it was 21+ since it is, in fact, a wine-pairing dinner. Although my 10-year old is a bit of a foodie, there is no way in hades that I was going to pay $75 for him to join us, even if there were no rule preventing his attendance.

My beef is with those who balk at the mere sight of a child at their table in the MDR. Some children, even very young ones, can be better tablemates than some adults. Now if you sit there the first night and that is not the case, you have a right to complain and move. And for the "adult conversation" argument, I would hope ANYONE at a large table with strangers in the MDR would refrain from politics, religion or other controversial subjects -- child or no child present.[/quote']

While it may not be listed in the compass, this is where people have to apply common sense. If something is being promoted as a fine dining experience with a wine pairing, and is advertised as $75pp that should be enough for people to realize this probably isn't the best place to take their child.

As for children in the MDR, that's another topic. This thread is about parents taking their child to the chef's table. Anytime I've seen children in the MDR they've always been seated at tables with other families who also have children. I've rarely seen any complaints on this board regarding children in the MDR.

I think most everyone here agrees that if Chef's Table is marketed and is clearly identified as 21+' date=' then children have no right to be there and RCI should enforce their own rules. But as I mentioned earlier, there was no mention of an age limit when the Chef's Table was advertised in the Cruise Compasses. Other things, such as the comedy show, are labeled as adult.

My beef is with those who balk at the mere sight of a child at their table in the MDR. Some children, even very young ones, can be better tablemates than some adults. Now if you sit there the first night and that is not the case, you have a right to complain and move. And for the "adult conversation" argument, I would hope ANYONE at a large table with strangers in the MDR would refrain from politics, religion or other controversial subjects -- child or no child present.[/quote']

Sorry, but I do not have children now and there is no way that I want to sit with a family with young children as I am sure that a family with young children would want to sit with my husband and me. I think most cruiselines do a good job at pairing people.

Bonaventure, as a matter of fact I have. Can't remember which course but it was rough. There are much better courses around for the same or lower green fees. Check out Inverrary. Nice place and challenging. There's a really good municipal course at Arrowhead just a bit south off University. It was closed all last year for improvements.

The Bonaventure east course is tough, the west was a little beaten up but they spent a month renovating and sprucing up. I have only played 6-7 times so I'll be happy to break 100 (getting closer!), so not too particular of them yet. As a resident I get a big discount on the green fees anyway. I will have to try those ones out sometime! Gotta work on keeping my drives on the fairway first *grin* (If you want to take this off-board, you can drop me an email at: NJSteve11@yahoo.com)

Enough said! :D

royal-caribbean-shrek.jpg

LOL

I've seen plenty of jack -asses on ships......and they generally are not small people.

Oh and Allures Godmother is Fiona an animated character, this donkey her animated friend.....For the last 2 years RCI had been telling us old guys to move to Azmara and X...didn't you get the memo?

Edited by land lover

I have come to the conclusion that some folks just don't get it. This thread is simply about two young children seated at The Chef's Table for dinner in a venue which RCCL specifically states the guests are to be at least 21 years of age. Folks who paid for an adults only experience did not receive the experience they paid for. It is a very simple concept to grasp.

I have come to the conclusion that some folks just don't get it. This thread is simply about two young children seated at The Chef's Table for dinner in a venue which RCCL specifically states the guests are to be at least 21 years of age. Folks who paid for an adults only experience did not receive the experience they paid for. It is a very simple concept to grasp.

Actually, is all we have seen on this thread is a single email from a reservation that states guests should be over 21 and a link from RCI's site that says nothing regarding age. I have yet to see something that says what RCI policy is. Exceptions are made every minute on these ships. They certainly have made plenty for me and my family. After all it ia all about

pleasing the guest and profit.

For example 2 weeks ago on our cruise one of my sons(23) forgot his formal shoes, we called the pursers desk...she said formal wear closed at noon, it was 5pm but she would contact the tailor, we received a call back with in 15 minutes asking for the size and they delivered them to our son's room.

The OP had an enjoyable time at the Chef's table as they stated with the children present.

I would have been as shocked to see them as the OP was, but certainly would not leave a venue because I was concerned about my company.

No one knows the circumstance of this family and the reason for bringing children. I am sure if they would have been disruptive the OP would have handled the situation differently.

I still think this is one of the more interesting discussions I've had on the boards, because as much as I would not want to share the Chef's table with children, I think it is interesting that so many who are posting are so quick to judge.

I think we all need to be more like the OP, gracious and accepting....like we hope all will be towards us when we become grummy,old and feeble.

Edited by land lover

I'm not judging anyone when I say I don't want to have an expensive dinner with children. I just don't, well-behaved or not.

Marci were you the one on another thread that was mentioning about your kids and diamond plus status? Cause I have a question for you.....

Edited by land lover

Lol. Frankly, I cannot understand why anyone would want to pay $75 a person to sit with 14ish strangers. Children or not...it reminds me of teppanyaki.. I'm going on a cruise to relax and get away, not to make idle chit chat with people I will never see again. That's what message boards are for!:)

That's why we booked central park. Nice quiet table for two! But actually I would be annoyed if kids were at my expensive dinner...and I have a 5 year old I love very much.