Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

We have been to Chefs Table on several ships.I don't understand why people simply can't follow the rules as to no children-why intrude on somesones elses evening who signs up and pays in anticipation of others following said rules and having a nice dining experience in a child free environment- if only for a brief evening. I will stir up another hornets nest-why can't parents keep their children out of the adult pool.Likely the same parents.The rules don't apply to them,obviously.

I am going to do the Chef's Table on an upcoming cruise and to tell you the truth I would enjoy the company of children more than some of the adult posters on this thread.

Shak

I applaud this family for having such well behaved young children. BUT, I cannot understand why they would bring them to CT and pay such a huge amount when they had grandma on the cruise who could have taken them for the night (or put them in the kids' club). I love my boys, who are 8 and 4, but I would never dream of bringing them to any quiet adult-oriented restaurant because I know that there is a risk that not only will they disturb other diners but I will not enjoy myself as much because I will be worried about whether they are being completely appropriate. Not worth it! I would rather skip CT than take my kids and hope that they behaved.

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

My thoughts exactly!!!

Elvis

We were actually cruising with extended family and left our elementary age kids with grandparents when we went. I love kids, not just my own, but when we were seated next to a table with 2 small children (not crying, but the dvd's were out on the table), for the first time ever, I asked for a different table. I also asked about the age policy--pointing out that I had read kids needed to be 16 to dine there, and you couldn't even make reservations for kids on line younger than that. They apologized and said they did allow children if people made reservations on board, but they did change our table to the other side and gave us some complimentary drinks as well!

I don't think this is just about the behavior of the children--it's that when you choose to go to a very adult like setting, that bills itself as an adult setting, you don't want to see dvd players, or coloring books, or parents quietly encouraging their child to do something--you want the grown up setting that the restaurant advertises!

We were actually cruising with extended family and left our elementary age kids with grandparents when we went. I love kids, not just my own, but when we were seated next to a table with 2 small children (not crying, but the dvd's were out on the table), for the first time ever, I asked for a different table. I also asked about the age policy--pointing out that I had read kids needed to be 16 to dine there, and you couldn't even make reservations for kids on line younger than that. They apologized and said they did allow children if people made reservations on board, but they did change our table to the other side and gave us some complimentary drinks as well!

I don't think this is just about the behavior of the children--it's that when you choose to go to a very adult like setting, that bills itself as an adult setting, you don't want to see dvd players, or coloring books, or parents quietly encouraging their child to do something--you want the grown up setting that the restaurant advertises!

I am glad that you said something; I am glad that they moved you; I am especially glad that they gave you some drinks! ;) :D

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

I am guessing your quite old... there are whole sections of cruise ships designed with children in mind.

I really understand that adults do wish for alone time; I really do! What I think RCCI should do is designate specific nights for the allowance of children. Because as a 15 year old myself ( and I speak out for other kids like me), I want to dine at 150, or the Chefs Table. And to be honest, I don't think kids over the age of 10 or 11 are going to do much damage.

I feel sorry for those of you who can't understand the joy that children can bring to your life.

don't. I am not missing a thing by being child free and in fact harbor zero jealously whatsoever over your chosen lifestyle.

I have more than enough joy in my life thankyewverymuch.

My thoughts exactly!!!

Elvis

That's about as ignorant as saying ... people shouldn't take their elderly parents on a cruise they should take them only to senior centers to play bingo

It's not about children being well behaved or not. It's about setting an expectation for an experience and living up to it. I work with children all day, every day. I love children. But when I'm done and want a break, I want a break!

I cruise because I enjoy cruising, but I choose strategically. I don't tend to cruise at times when there are likely to be a lot of kids. I only cruise on ships with adults only areas (i.e. solarium). I will choose to dine in child-free environments (later reservations, restaurants with restrictions). Why? Because I LITERALLY gave at the office!

Look, I'm happy that some parents think their kids are the bomb-diggity.... But forgive me if I'm not interested in your mercurial three year old, your fidgety eight year old, or you cantankerous teenager. I chose an adult environment.

If I was the OP (two years ago, LOL!), I would have quietly excused myself and told the concierge I was no longer interested as it was clearly not the experience they had billed it to be. Furthermore, I would expect a refund on my bill.

Originally Posted by cruisebunnies

If this works for Cruisebunnie's family, then that's that. We didn't plan any "big" vacations (cruising, Europe) until our son was at least 10 years of age. That is what worked for US. Personally, I am not enamored of having small children around while I am on vacation; hence, I do not travel during school breaks, and I choose my venues carefully while on board.

Someone else posted that they were away from one of their children for ONE night over five years, because the grandparents couldn't/wouldn't. For me, I'd hire a baby sitter, BUT I guess that's not for everyone, either.

People (including myself!) can get very heated about issues surrounding the presence of children. It's simply just a matter of opinion, combined with what works for the individual/family. At this point, I feel that arguing over it is kinda useless.

Teddie

Edited by teddie

don't. I am not missing a thing by being child free and in fact harbor zero jealously whatsoever over your chosen lifestyle.

I have more than enough joy in my life thankyewverymuch.

Here here!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's about as ignorant as saying ... people shouldn't take their elderly parents on a cruise they should take them only to senior centers to play bingo

And I thought the smoking threads were heated!!!

Elvis

If you dont mind me asking this question on this thread, is this something that is offered on all ships?

Ships that offer Chef's Table. On Radiance of the Seas®, Splendour of the Seas® and Oasis-class ships

Not everyone would agree with that, there are plenty of people who just don't want kids, and that is perfectly fine. Living a full life of joy isnt contingent on being a parent, and it's hurtful to people who don't have kids, either because of choice or chance, to be told their life isn't "joyful" or fulfilled because they don't have kids. As someone who can't have kids, I know full well the joy they can bring, but if I'm attending something where kids arent supposed to be, then I expect to not be around kids. They may be well behaved and "invisible" but I don't think I should be guilted into spending time with kids when I'm at an adult event because they bring so much "joy" to someone else's life.

Thank you!!! You echoed my feeling exactly and I am a single lady with no kids by choice!! I truly love my nieces, nephews and friends children and love spending time with them but when I go to an adults only venue, I expect no children to be present and would be very disappointed to see them there.

To the OP, I am very glad it turned out well for you, but it is sad that specific rules such as what was stated and printed in the OP's confirmation letter was not enforced.

Just my two cents.

Linda

Thank you...I have to say I have been on cruises before I was a mother but the past 4 since I have been a mom with my son have been the best. RCCL is a FAMILY cruise line if you don't want ot see children go somewhere else.

The point of the discussion is not that we do not expect to see children on an RCCL ship, we know that this cruise line is FAMILY orientated. The point is that there are specific venues that are advertised as an adult only activity and should be expected as such when participating.

As one poster commented that it would be wrong for adults to go to a kid's only venue as participate in those activities. Those areas are for them to enjoy without us adults along, should we not have our own such ventures!!

I took my children on cruises when they were young (elementary school age), and they had a great time. Now they're older teens and still love cruising. However, I don't think that's really the issue in question.

The original issue was whether children should be included at the Chef's Table. I say no. This is a small-group dinner, and part of the experience is interaction with the group who happens to share your table. When children (or teens) are included in such a group, it changes the dynamic of the experience. It is no longer the same experience for which people "signed on" and paid a premium price.

Furthermore, it isn't an age-appropriate experience for the children, and I can't imagine they'd be particularly enthusiastic about tasting foods that are aimed at the adult palate.

Let the kids enjoy the kids' clubs, and let Mom and Dad enjoy an adult evening. Assuming a typical one-week cruise, they still have 6 other evenings in which to enjoy dinner together. Everyone wins.

The original issue was whether children should be included at the Chef's Table. I say no. This is a small-group dinner, and part of the experience is interaction with the group who happens to share your table. When children (or teens) are included in such a group, it changes the dynamic of the experience. It is no longer the same experience for which people "signed on" and paid a premium price.

Furthermore, it isn't an age-appropriate experience for the children, and I can't imagine they'd be particularly enthusiastic about tasting foods that are aimed at the adult palate.

Those are good arguments, but they will be challenged by the egocentric parents who can't fathom that everyone doesn't think their kids are as totally awesome as they do.

The simple reason this shouldn't even be a debate is that RCI bills this as an adults only event. I don't care what the thought process is. They say no kids, so no kids. Anyone arguing otherwise is just being selfish.

One thing I really love about RCI is that they run their ships based on their wishes and wants and not CC posters.

But its not a mafia operation at all, quite the opposite, its very relaxed and one always has a choice, there is no arm twisting.

Even a b2b on the same ship can have a different policy from week to week.

So you can exercise your choice by whining on CC:D or ....................:p

Those are good arguments, but they will be challenged by the egocentric parents who can't fathom that everyone doesn't think their kids are as totally awesome as they do.

The simple reason this shouldn't even be a debate is that RCI bills this as an adults only event. I don't care what the thought process is. They say no kids, so no kids. Anyone arguing otherwise is just being selfish.

Just putting my view forward with teenage daughter. No way would I expect her to want to sit with a bunch of adults, and no way would I expect other adults to accept her at an adult only event. Blimey, the conversation just isn't the same at all with kids about.

and you are right, others think their own kids are the best and that everyone else should be interested in them. Kids should do kids stuff, there's so much on board. and for those who have chosen not to have kids, good for you.

We are trying to do 2 cruises a year, one with DD and one without. I don't want kids running around or colouring in at an adult only place when I have chosen not to being my daughter.

This comes from one angry women whose niece was allowed to pick the flowers out of my bouquet on my wedding day because her parents thought it looked cute. :mad:

I am going to do the Chef's Table on an upcoming cruise and to tell you the truth I would enjoy the company of children more than some of the adult posters on this thread.

Shak

you sound like my husband, he prefers kids to adults. Although I don't think I would even take him to the Chefs table, he would definitely misbehave!

I raised 4 kids all grown now

Love them dearly, took them to every child and family friendly venue there was in their day (Disney, Sesame Place, Amusement parks, Chuckie Cheese, etc etc etc) and had ball watching them have a ball. And now those days are over THANK YOU GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Now more than ever , but even when the kids were small. My DW and I really loved our adult time alone.

When I don't have to watch, listen to and deal with my kids at a certain place, I sure as hell don't want to with someone elses'

Have not been to chef's table , but from what I know , none of my kids would have sat through it or eaten anything they served. So why waste the money and spare yourself the aggravation.