Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

Great - everyone is upset that Royal Caribbean will not enforce its own rules, yet no one is willing to do anything about it. So, the rule will continue to be unenforced and I guess people will continue to whine about it.

I took your comment to heart and I decided to do something about it. I posted a question about the age requirements on Adam's Blog and will see if anything comes from it.

Although there were recent posts on this thread, I should have looked to see when this first started. It was a bit of a shock for me to notice that most of the conversations were in 2011 (must pay more attention to dates) and so now I realize that it has been over two years ago and even during that time frame there was a post that showed a confirmation letter stating that the age of 13 was welcomed. So it seems as if this is no longer an adult only venue.

I will still be curious as to the response if any from my posting on Adam's Blog and of course I will post any info back here from that.

I took your comment to heart and I decided to do something about it. I posted a question about the age requirements on Adam's Blog and will see if anything comes from it.

Although there were recent posts on this thread, I should have looked to see when this first started. It was a bit of a shock for me to notice that most of the conversations were in 2011 (must pay more attention to dates) and so now I realize that it has been over two years ago and even during that time frame there was a post that showed a confirmation letter stating that the age of 13 was welcomed. So it seems as if this is no longer an adult only venue.

I will still be curious as to the response if any from my posting on Adam's Blog and of course I will post any info back here from that.

We were on Oasis earlier this month and went to the Chef's Table. We enjoyed it very much. There was an "almost" thirteen year-old across the table from us. He fit in and enjoyed it and his parents enjoyed having his wine;)

Ships that offer Chef's Table. On Radiance of the Seas®, Splendour of the Seas® and Oasis-class ships

It's definitely on Grandeur and Legend and Serenade and possibly others too. In fact it may be that as each ship is refurbished it gets a Chef's Table.

I am very interested in trying this experience out. I am they type of a person that can see both sides of a coin so to speak very well, I'm a true Libra apparently, lol.

On one hand it is great to have an adults only venue, but on the other hand it is awesome to be a kid, be invited to this kind of atmosphere and have the good manners and appreciation to enjoy the event.

I usually roll with the punches as long as things do not get out of hand. If there are kids that start misbehaving at a venue, it is easier for me to leave, reduce my stress and find something else to enjoy. We are on this planet too short of a time to not enjoy our lives.

In regards to asking for my money back, it would depend on how long I had been there enjoying the experience and how much the disruption affected it. I work hard for my money but I do not let it rule my life or experiences dramatically. I know myself I have made dumb decisions when spending it, so I don't let it become a big issue on things if possible.

Linda

Edited by Tkaklita

on the other hand it is awesome to be a kid, be invited to this kind of atmosphere and have the good manners and appreciation to enjoy the event.

I was exposed to a lot of nice dining opportunities as a child and teenager, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. However, my parents would have never taken me somewhere I was expressly not allowed. There are plenty of great opportunities to do this with kids. No need to do it where it is billed as child-free.

I was exposed to a lot of nice dining opportunities as a child and teenager, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. However, my parents would have never taken me somewhere I was expressly not allowed. There are plenty of great opportunities to do this with kids. No need to do it where it is billed as child-free.

Bingo.

There is a new poster on Cruise Critic, who has posted on this thread, who is obviously a very mature 15 year old. I applaud his maturity and self-advocacy, and I have no doubt that he would truly appreciate the fine dining of the Chef's Table and would behave utterly appropriately.

And I agree with macruisefan that children should be exposed to opportunities to learn and become socially adept, in dining and otherwise.

But those opportunities should NOT be at the expense of passengers who expressly expect NO CHILDREN.

These underage people can learn these things in other venues that welcome them, whether on board or at home or on other vacations.

Chef's Table is NOT ONE OF THEM.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

But as I have learned during this thread, it is not billed as child-free. Post #265 does show that the age minimum is 13 years old. I do agree with your point of young children such as the 3 & 6 year olds should not have been there, no matter the behavior.

Linda

Edited by Tkaklita

When Chef's Table first was created, it was 21 and over, because it is specifically courses paired with wines.

WHY this was ever changed in any way eludes me.

I'm sure it was changed because they weren't able to sell it out without loosening the restrictions.

When Chef's Table first was created, it was 21 and over, because it is specifically courses paired with wines.

I just looked it up within the booking system for my upcoming Oasis reservaton, and it says expressly, "All guests must be over the age of 21". Interesting, I wish they'd make up their mind!

I just looked it up within the booking system for my upcoming Oasis reservaton, and it says expressly, "All guests must be over the age of 21". Interesting, I wish they'd make up their mind!

AHA! I knew that I wasn't crazy. Well, you know what I mean! ;)

I am really hoping to hear that reason from the question that I posted on blog I mentioned earlier.

I loved the idea of an adult only dinner venue and hope that ours will be that way. Like many have said before, RCCL does watch these boards but unfortunately it seems that this topic didn't make the change that many were hoping for.

Too funny, as I was typing this post, another had posted that they checked the reservation and it is back to 21. Maybe they have notice this thread :)

Linda

Edited by Tkaklita

Just thought I'd share the info I received from RCCL for our booked Chef's Table on our upcoming BOS cruise early August. Hubby & I love the Chef's Table. Was at a Chef's Table on Oasis the first year it sailed and we only had another couple besides hubby & I. Talk about feeling special. Anyways, under "Other information" on our current reservation for the Chef's Table it mentions that "all guest must be over the age of 21". Will be interesting to see if anyone under 21 joins the group that evening. ~ Cindy

Bingo.

There is a new poster on Cruise Critic, who has posted on this thread, who is obviously a very mature 15 year old. I applaud his maturity and self-advocacy, and I have no doubt that he would truly appreciate the fine dining of the Chef's Table and would behave utterly appropriately.

And I agree with macruisefan that children should be exposed to opportunities to learn and become socially adept, in dining and otherwise.

But those opportunities should NOT be at the expense of passengers who expressly expect NO CHILDREN.

These underage people can learn these things in other venues that welcome them, whether on board or at home or on other vacations.

Chef's Table is NOT ONE OF THEM.

:)

I appreciate your comment very much. It's good to be accepted into the CC family, if you will. I fully understand the Chef's Table ordeal, and I fully understand that some adults need time alone, and without the presence of children. (You probably get your fill for the day around the pool.) But I merely suggested selecting one or two days on the voyage opening up 150 Central Park or the Chef's Table. If you don't want to be around children, then just simply book another night. This would allow private time for the adults and please families as well.

I appreciate your comment very much. It's good to be accepted into the CC family, if you will. I fully understand the Chef's Table ordeal, and I fully understand that some adults need time alone, and without the presence of children. (You probably get your fill for the day around the pool.) But I merely suggested selecting one or two days on the voyage opening up 150 Central Park or the Chef's Table. If you don't want to be around children, then just simply book another night. This would allow private time for the adults and please families as well.

I do not believe that 150 Central Park bars children before 7 P.M.

There are so many places for people to take their kids, but not many options for adults to be alone. Why do we need more stuff for kids to do? My Dad was happy with an orange at Christmas but now we have to give kids everything adults have! don't get me wrong, I am a mum, but really, they do and will spoil adult only environments. just like my teenager wouldn't want me to sit with them at her parties!

This isn't a go at you by the way.

We've had to remove our now-13yo son from a restaurant for loud behavior twice in his life -- once when he was six weeks old, and once when he was 17 months old. In both cases, DH was finished with his meal when the fussing began, and took the kid outside while I remained and finished my food.

DS is not an exceptionally mature kid, but he has always LOVED eating in a restaurant, and he learned quickly that acting out would get him a one-way ticket to sitting in the car for the remainder of the meal. At the age of 2yo he could say the word "consequences" and he understood its meaning -- we ALWAYS follow through with our threats!

He's been ordering his own meals since probably kindergarten, he knows to speak up and look the waitstaff in the eye, he says "please" and "thank you" to the waitstaff as appropriate, and he sits in his chair / uses an indoor voice / doesn't throw things.

To me, this is nothing "special" -- it's the behavior we expect, at home and in public, once he's reached a certain age. Sadly, we have often received effusive compliments about how well-mannered our son is, blah-blah-blah. One time at one of the higher-end restaurants in our town, the manager approached our table and said that he and the staff all recognized DS for his good manners (from our having eaten there on several occasions in the past), and wanted to reward him with a free drink (chocolate milk! LOL) and dessert.

I could understand if my son had done something truly extraordinary that was worthy of special recognition, like perform the Heimlich maneuver to save someone from choking... but to reward ordinary expected behavior? :confused: Why are parents not teaching these things to their children anymore?

That being said, even knowing that my 13yo would exhibit appropriate table manners, there's still no way I would bother to take him to a Chef's Table dinner. I *might* take him to Chops or Portofino (he does enjoy a good steak) to celebrate a particularly important event, but then again, only because I know that he would enjoy it, and his behavior wouldn't detract in any way from others in the venue.

Edited by brillohead

There are so many places for people to take their kids, but not many options for adults to be alone. Why do we need more stuff for kids to do? My Dad was happy with an orange at Christmas but now we have to give kids everything adults have! don't get me wrong, I am a mum, but really, they do and will spoil adult only environments. just like my teenager wouldn't want me to sit with them at her parties!

This isn't a go at you by the way.

Very true. Although to be very honest, the adults have the Solarium, Vitality Spa, and of course the privacy of your own cabin. And teens and children have Ocean Adventures ( for the youngsters) and the teen club to get away from the adults. The only reason I started this whole conundrum is because some of the previous poster's comments were seriously rude! Saying cruises aren't a place for kids? Last time I checked we are still paid passengers and deserve certain benefits that come with booking a passage. I FULLY respect yours and other's desire for a child-free time, I sincerely do. But my god, we're not lepers that need to be avoided at all costs! I wish you with many safe and excellent surgeries. : D

I really do feel for 'kids' who act appropriately in an adult environment, but I would not appreciate them at Chef's Table. It is a very small gathering of 14 people, in a drinking environment, for which we pay a premium. The other specialties provide for younger people if booked before 7pm.

I would like to sit and have cocktails while I chat to other adults, not a teenager, no matter how sophisticated ;) (And I previously wrote something else about my husband's friends' second wives here, but I've decided to skip that conversation...)

you sound like my husband, he prefers kids to adults. Although I don't think I would even take him to the Chefs table, he would definitely misbehave!

It's not that I prefer children to adults it the many childish remarks by many adult posters that prompted my post.

Also the ship is a public place and if a person whatever there age pays for something they are entitled to do what was paid for as long as it is within the rules of the cruise ship. If the cruise line allows children for the Chef's Table I am ok with that. For those that are not don't go.

Shak

It's not that I prefer children to adults it the many childish remarks by many adult posters that prompted my post.

Also the ship is a public place and if a person whatever there age pays for something they are entitled to do what was paid for as long as it is within the rules of the cruise ship. If the cruise line allows children for the Chef's Table I am ok with that. For those that are not don't go.

Shak

Amen!

Shak

I agree, but the point of this thread is that under 21's are not 'supposed' to be allowed at Chef's Table. Someone mentioned that young children were in attendance at their Chef's Table, and discussion ensued.

From the RC website:

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

A: Children with a parent or guardian are welcome in our specialty restaurants throughout serving hours. The only exceptions are Chef's Table which requires all guests to be 21 years of age or older, and 150 Central Park which requires families with children under 13 years of age to dine before 7 p.m. Reservations can be made online or onboard at the restaurant based on availability.

Edited by marci22

We were a big group and booked the Chef's Table without the kids. We adults wanted to be alone and the kids wanted to do their own thing so it worked out just fine! There were some kids there - looked to be around 10/11 years old, but didn't cause any problems. As long as the kids can behave, it doesn't seem like a big deal to allow them in.