Self disembarkation

huskerdan25

Hi everyone. Will be on the Sapphire this weekend for our Mexican Riviera cruise and we can't wait!

My question is this. We have a flight out of LAX (self made plans, not via Princess) at 12:30p. We probably will do self-disembarkation so as not to take a chance of getting to the airport late. When do we let Princess know we want to do self-disembarkation? The first day when we get on the ship at the pursers office or some other time?

Another question. Is it really true that you must have one hand free from carrying anything to be able to do this? I understand we will have to use the escalators. If I have two bags and my wife one, will we be able to do this? If we need to cut down to a bag a piece, we are willing to do that but I just need to know for sure.

Thanks for your input and we are so looking forward to our 5th cruise vacation on Princess, our second on the Sapphire!

Dan

You will receive a form in your cabin a day or so into the cruise. Ours had to be in by Monday. On the form, you fill out your flight time. With a 12:30pm flight, you do not have to do self-disembarkation. Even if you disembark late, say at 9am, you'll still have plenty of time to get to LAX and arrive two hours before your flight. If you want to be among the first off the ship, it would save you maybe 5-10 minutes. I saw many people struggling with luggage last Saturday; first trying to get an elevator to get to their meeting place and then disembarking.

There was someone at the top of the escalator enforcing the "one hand free" safety rule. It's not just for your safety but others on the escalator with you in case you or your luggage falls. Escalators can be dangerous. I had two ladies ahead of me on the escalator who stopped at the bottom right after stepping off the escalator. I had to yell at them to move as I was about to pile into them and wound up having to push them aside before they caused someone serious injury.

We did the self disembarkation from the Sapphire on Dec. 29. It started at 8:00 AM sharp. We were in the Club Fusion lounge and right at the front. We had suitcases hooked together and still had no problem. We were at LAX by 9:10 at the Virgin America gate. It was easy and quick that morning.

You will receive a form in your cabin a day or so into the cruise. Ours had to be in by Monday. On the form, you fill out your flight time. With a 12:30pm flight, you do not have to do self-disembarkation. Even if you disembark late, say at 9am, you'll still have plenty of time to get to LAX and arrive two hours before your flight. If you want to be among the first off the ship, it would save you maybe 5-10 minutes. I saw many people struggling with luggage last Saturday; first trying to get an elevator to get to their meeting place and then disembarking.

There was someone at the top of the escalator enforcing the "one hand free" safety rule. It's not just for your safety but others on the escalator with you in case you or your luggage falls. Escalators can be dangerous. I had two ladies ahead of me on the escalator who stopped at the bottom right after stepping off the escalator. I had to yell at them to move as I was about to pile into them and wound up having to push them aside before they caused someone serious injury.

Thanks Pam. So, since I set up my own travel arrangements, will I end up in the last group to disembark or close to the last group? That is really my biggest fear. 5 years ago when we were on the Sapphire, we ended up not getting off until after 10am. The customs process seemed very slow and disembarkation actually started late. I also tend to be the kind of person that tries to make every day of a vacation as stress-free as possible. I would rather be at the airport way early than to be stressing on whether we will get there early enough to get through LAX security, Thus the thought of doing self-disembarkation even though the flight out of LAX is at 12:30p. So, having said this, what are your thoughts (if different from your original response)? I should mention that I have private transportation with Execucar so I won't have to wait for others using SuperShuttle.

Thanks!

Dan

Thanks Pam. So, since I set up my own travel arrangements, will I end up in the last group to disembark or close to the last group? That is really my biggest fear. 5 years ago when we were on the Sapphire, we ended up not getting off until after 10am. The customs process seemed very slow and disembarkation actually started late. I also tend to be the kind of person that tries to make every day of a vacation as stress-free as possible. I would rather be at the airport way early than to be stressing on whether we will get there early enough to get through LAX security, Thus the thought of doing self-disembarkation even though the flight out of LAX is at 12:30p. So, having said this, what are your thoughts (if different from your original response)? I should mention that I have private transportation with Execucar so I won't have to wait for others using SuperShuttle.
One of the options on the form you fill out is that you have independent flight arrangements. You'll put your airline, flight # and flight time in there.

According to the schedule from last Saturday, there were 6 "Express Walk-off" groups, ranging from 8:15 - 8:30am. Passengers with independent flight arrangements met between 8:45 and 10:45am, depending on their deck with Aloha deck meeting the earliest and Plaza deck meeting the latest. Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers with independent arrangements met between 8:30am and 10am.

One thing I didn't see on the disembarkation schedule sheet was "Red 1 and 2" which are usually those with early flights.

One of the options on the form you fill out is that you have independent flight arrangements. You'll put your airline, flight # and flight time in there.

According to the schedule from last Saturday, there were 6 "Express Walk-off" groups, ranging from 8:15 - 8:30am. Passengers with independent flight arrangements met between 8:45 and 10:45am, depending on their deck with Aloha deck meeting the earliest and Plaza deck meeting the latest. Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers with independent arrangements met between 8:30am and 10am.

One thing I didn't see on the disembarkation schedule sheet was "Red 1 and 2" which are usually those with early flights.

Ok, that sounds pretty straight forward. We are on the Aloha deck so that is a positive as far as being in the first group for those with independent flight arrangements. So, the departure group color will be based on our flight time I assume.

Would it be correct that we would have the option to do the express walk-off or due to our flight time and the deck we are on, we possibly would be able to disembark shortly after the express walk-off groups?

Thanks for the information. You have been very helpful!

Would it be correct that we would have the option to do the express walk-off or due to our flight time and the deck we are on, we possibly would be able to disembark shortly after the express walk-off groups?
You'll have the option to do self-disembarkation or pick up your luggage on the pier. With a later flight, chances are that you'd be assigned one of the later self-disembarkation groups so the difference between that and picking up your luggage at the pier would be maybe 15 - 20 minutes.

Our group met at 8:45am, we left the lounge at 9:05am, and all five of us picked up our luggage on the pier and were waiting at the curb for our limo before 9:20am. As long as your luggage is distinctive, it shouldn't take you more than a minute or so to find your luggage.

Pam, I will be disembarking in Fort Lauderdale after a South America itinerary. As a non us citizen, do I go through a lengthy customs or immigration process on arrival, or is that done on the ship before we get to port? I have a 12.35pm flight from Miami and am a bit nervous about time frames. I have arranged a private airport transfer at 9.30am at Port Everglades. Thanks, Sue

Whether you need a free hand or not depends on your mobility. I have no problem taking 2 good-sized bags plus a carry-on on my shoulder down an escalator, but some people do. You don't want to have to wait for the small elevator to take you down stairs in the terminal there.

I have seen Princess port agents flip out when we don't hold onto the escalator handle. Clearly they must've seen a lot of accidents. We usually just walk right by them and ignore their dire warnings. :rolleyes: I can understand why they would recommend holding onto the handle for some people though. If you're a pretty stable person, then you should be fine. I would never recommend it for my parents though.

If you get a disembarkation time that you feel is later than you want, you can request an earlier time.

Sometimes this exchange is done at the Purser's deesk, sometimes at the shore excursion desk, and sometimes at a special table they set up for this.

Pam, I will be disembarking in Fort Lauderdale after a South America itinerary. As a non us citizen, do I go through a lengthy customs or immigration process on arrival, or is that done on the ship before we get to port? I have a 12.35pm flight from Miami and am a bit nervous about time frames. I have arranged a private airport transfer at 9.30am at Port Everglades. Thanks, Sue
Yes, you will have to go through US Immigration. In Ft. Lauderdale and San Pedro, Customs is pretty perfunctory; you walk past and give them your form. That's usually it. Princess staggers disembarkation groups so that the Immigration lines aren't horrendous. Walking past the non-US immigration line last Saturday, I'd say that there were 20-30 people in line for several immigration stations. You would probably want to disembark the ship by 9am for a 9:30am transport. Disembarkation starts a lot earlier in Ft. Lauderdale than it did in San Pedro on Saturday so I really don't think you'll have a problem.

I've sailed into Harwin, Southampton, Baltimore, NYC, Tampa, San Juan, Galveston and Fort Lauderdale. The only port with long lines was Galveston, and they were loooong. As Pam said, Fort Lauderdale is usually swift.

Be sure to sign up for self-disembarkation.

Silly me; I thought self disembarkation was for people with carry-on luggage. When I did this recently leaving the Sapphire, there was a man with 5 full size suitcases. It was insane!
On the Sapphire last Saturday, I saw a man doing self-disembarkation with two big bags and a carry-on piggy-backed with each other using straps. He took up most of the elevator and had trouble controlling it when he got out.

Archived