Is the Dream worth it???

QLUVS2CRUZ

Hi all...I'm new to Disney cruising...some friends are going on the Dream December 22-26 and invited us to go. I know my kids would LOVE it, but the price is about $4500 for the four of us for a four night cruise. Is it worth it? Or should we look at a different Disney cruise at a different time to really get our money's worth? It's a holiday cruise, and I don't know if there is a lot more offered on a holiday cruise, or if the price is high because it's Disney...we've been on RCI and Carnival, and I'm not trying to compare the lines, I'm just trying to figure out if four days is worth $4000...

Any thoughts are appreciated for this Disney first timer!!

Hi all...I'm new to Disney cruising...some friends are going on the Dream December 22-26 and invited us to go. I know my kids would LOVE it, but the price is about $4500 for the four of us for a four night cruise. Is it worth it? Or should we look at a different Disney cruise at a different time to really get our money's worth? It's a holiday cruise, and I don't know if there is a lot more offered on a holiday cruise, or if the price is high because it's Disney...we've been on RCI and Carnival, and I'm not trying to compare the lines, I'm just trying to figure out if four days is worth $4000...

Anytime the kids are out of school the prices are going to be high. And factor in a major holiday I"m sure the prices are through the roof. Is there another time you could go?

Only you can know your financial status, but I always tell people, if you have kids try to do Disney just one time. We are taking our 2nd DIS cruise this May to take our granddaughters and because of the cost we may never get to go again. But I can tell you the first one we took with our then 6 yr old granddaugther was worth every penny we paid just to watch her face.

Happy sailing with whatever you decide!!!!

That is tough. As said above, you are probably hitting the most expensive time to go. I'd personally go another time and try to get your friends to change as well if possible.

The good part is if you do go, you'll have friends to be with as we did once on the Wonder for 3 nights which was much more fun for everybody especially since our kids are the same ages as their kids - we had like 21 in total.

Since we had a large group for dinner we also got to dine in the special room in Palo.

Lots of issues here. Is Disney worth the extra money? Is a holiday cruise worth the extra money? Etc.

But sticking to one narrow question... unless you are an experienced Disney cruiser looking for something new, I don't beleive it worth paying signficiantly more for the Dream over the Wonder or Magic.

Thanks for the feedback...it is much appreciated. Our friends have already booked...they had it planned, and then we were talking and they invited us to come if we want to...so can't change the ship or the date...so now just have to weigh if we want the experience with our friends (which would definitely add to our fun) or go another time and spend less money...I have heard Disney is worth the money, but somewhere there is probably a tipping point...my kids are begging to go on a Disney cruise, so I'm sure we will choose Disney over Carnival or RCI just to try it, sometime within the next 12-18 months. Cruising is a good family vacation for us, because there is something for everyone, and we all love it.

I've only been on the Disney cruise so I cannot compare it with any other cruise. I've seen videos and pictures of my friends after having taken the Carnival and Royal Caribbean. They all had a good time. The decorations in their room and on their ship felt bland to me. On our first Disney Cruise, we could not get over the delight and care that we received from the staff. We were so pampered that we felt that we were the only ones on the ship even if there were 2000 others. Personally announcing our name over the loudspeaker as we enter the lobby was another thing. These guys literally went out of their way to make it the best cruise ever. My wife and I had agreed that we would not go on any other boat but the Disney. The biggest mistake taking the DCL is that it becomes the GOLD standarad of all the other ships!!!

Try to look for late August 2012, other off season period, or kids sails free deal. If timing isn't flexible, then I'd rather look for something else.

For me, we are willing to sacrifice a balcony cabin at some other cruiseline for an inside on Disney, and even this is a bit of a stretch. :)

I think that is a very personal decision completely dependent upon your personal finances. I think it would be a great time if money isn't much of an issue. For us, $4000 for 4 days of fun, is definitely NOT worth it. But you might not get many more chances to vacation with your friends and they might make the cruise extra special. I think it all boils down to, can you comfortably afford it?

If it helps... we are cruising the Magic... two adults, one child, one under age two, in a sideways inside cabin for under $4000... but for fourTEEN nights. While we have had lots of fun cruising with friends and family, you could go for longer for cheaper I think.

We have been on two Disney Cruises both during our kids Spring Break in 2007 and 2009. Compared to the other line (Carnival) that we have been on its night and day, from amenities, to food, and overall experience and of course that comes at a cost. The time your friends have booked is probably the most expensive time to travel to anything Disney. We just booked a 5 day on the Dream for March 2012 for two adults and two kids with verandah on deck nine for about $3100 and are getting around $250 back in Costco Cash. We spent more than that on a 4 day on our last Wonder Cruise! So it depends on when you book and when you go! Try for a cheaper cabin on that same cruise because it would be loads of fun to travel with friends you enjoy spending time with. We have always wanted friends to travel with us but never can convince them its worth the money spent! Go for it if you can afford it, if you can't then go some other time and enjoy time with your family and stay another day or more for same $ or less! Adults and Kids will love it and this is coming from a Dad of two little girls!

Archived