Sunbed question on Azura

suebubbles

there are plenty of sunbeds at the Aqua Pool if you can stand the Seascreen being on all the time. Also at Coral Pool with music playing all day. There is the Terrace Pool as well, and all the other decks up to Deck 19. There is not much room between then.

Yes, they are really close together - of course you can move them if you can find space. I personally don't like being too close to people I don't know - need my own personal space. We found deck 19 the best place to go, sunbeds were spaced out a bit more.

We called the large deck space next to the retreat - the sardine factory. It was awful - so difficult to get through as people would move their sunbeds to face whatever direction the sun was shining. Mayhem!

Then you would see the people in the retreat swanning around in their bathrobes behind the screen...... OK if you want to lay out more money.

Well exactly! I disagree with this new money-making device called the Retreat. It just takes away more space from the other passengers. The reason I would not cruise on Azura again is the crowded-ness of the pools, the incessant music playing everywhere inside and outside and the fact that if I want to sunbathe, I am 2 inches from the sunbed next to me. :-(

Some are close together in the popular places.. get the ship guide and look around the ship for the tucked away deck areas if you want privacy ... good place for shade is the prom deck but chairs not loungers are on there.

The upper deck towards the aft is little used..

The Retreat is a lovely area but they do seem to restrict how long you can be there... we were on a 7 day cruise and often it was full up as they limit access so its not over crowded... they have double sun beds up there.

We managed a half day in there.

We were on Azura for 28 nights and yes the sun beds are cloe together in certain areas. Yes you can get quite areas also, just walk around to find them. There are some people that just keep saying about the noise, yes near the sea screen, but move away and find somewhere else!!

We used the retreat on port days and it is £12 per person for the full day and well worth the money. You get waiter service, and great he is too, fruit plates in the morning complete with cool drinks, lunch is served when you want it from the grill menu and in the afternoon you get iced towels etc. Yes the sunbeds here are spaced out quite alot and they only allow 47 people in total.

You also get use of the private pool which has a machine that you can swim against, good workout.

Deck 19 above the Planet Bar is also good as there are not that many sunbeds up there and they can be moved around quite easily.

I agree with Jean. I loathe the Retreat idea. Giving over a large area of a ship to a few who want to pay for it.......we have already paid for our cruise!

If as has been said there are 48 beds in the retreat then this must compare with about 2-3 hundred on Ventura in the same area which are available to all, as is the small pool in that area with the powered water flow to swim against.

The retreat just brings out snobbery in my opinion with those willing and able to pay for it doing so to seperate themselves from the masses. Surely as a cruise company its better for as many people as possible to enjoy their cruise rather than targeting a small minority who wish to pay for extras such as this whilst other suffer from more restricted deck space?

Yes but choosing a Select Dining restaurant doesn't have any effect on other people. The Retreat does. It takes away a vast area with another pool that has the effect of making the other areas very crowded. One thing they could do with the Seascreen is make it wireless, give everyone a headset, then people who want to sit near the biggest pool, don't have to listen to the unbelievable racket from that screen.

Yes but choosing a Select Dining restaurant doesn't have any effect on other people. The Retreat does. It takes away a vast area with another pool that has the effect of making the other areas very crowded. One thing they could do with the Seascreen is make it wireless, give everyone a headset, then people who want to sit near the biggest pool, don't have to listen to the unbelievable racket from that screen.

What a good idea Jean!!! Suggest that one to p&O.

The smell from that outdoor grill place was another thing I didn't like. We were lying on sunbeds directly above the eatery and the smell of "deep fry" made me feel nauseous.:mad:

Caryl

I did mention it in my feedback, as I am told that's what Princess cruises do. seems obvious to me. Why should the whole of that area and above have to either listen to that noise or go elsewhere.

Never had headsets on our Princess cruises jeanlyon. I think I've read on the Princess forums that they were trialled on a ship, but there were too many problems.

Hmm, apologies then, but someone told me that on one of the ships, they had headsets to watch the seascreen. Maybe someone will know

I do think it would be a good idea, because even though I enjoy the Seascreen, I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I doubt P&O will buy them though - they'd be forever damaged.

Hmm, apologies then, but someone told me that on one of the ships, they had headsets to watch the seascreen. Maybe someone will know

I'm sure you're correct, but I think they all went walkies so it was abandoned IIRC :eek: :D

We are back today from Azura and agree with a lot of the last posts on this subject. Having previously sailed on Ventura, we found Azura to be a step in the wrong direction for us.

The existance of The Retreat impacts too heavily on the remainder of sunbathing deck space remaining, the all day racket from sea screen forces even more people away from the only other sun space making sardine bathing around the main pool.

So in answer to the original post - yes, the sunbathers are packed in like sardines with only inches separating the beds.

Oh thank you for that. I've had so much flack from others about this. Yes I enjoyed my holiday, but it could have been so much better without what you have just mentioned. Not for me ever again. I'm looking forward to Arcadia - she has oodles of deck space.

Archived