The Pitons!

C at Sea

We have been to St Lucia many times and I have to say I don't recall seeing them on the way in or out - that's not to say we couldn't have seen them had we been looking though :) You definitely can't see them from the various harbour berths however.

The best way we saw them was when flying from the hotel to the international airport by helicopter, we flew right over them and that was really spectacular.

They can be seen if the ship goes that way around the island. We've sailed to St Lucia several times now - sometimes we've seen them, sometimes not. On the first occasion, the captain told us the night before that we would be sailing past around 6am for those who wanted to get up early - wasn't a great view as you can imagine it was dark. The next time we arrived later and just sailed by with no previous announcement.

If you're keen on seeing them from the sea the best way to guarantee it is to book one of the excursions or arrange your own. Otherwise it is pretty much down to chance.

C at Sea - my kids are very keen to see the Pitons as all 3 of them have studied the island at Primary School - we are sailing on Azura next weekend so i've got to ask when we board what the likelihood is of us seeing them the following morning!:rolleyes:

The Pitons are south of Soufriere, which is in the South West of the island, cruise ships dock at Castries which is in the North West.

So it all depends on which direction you will be approaching St Lucia and at what time.

We had an excellent view of them when on the Arcadia a few years back, but it was a special sail past while a helicopter took aeriel shots for publicity purposes; so maybe you would not always sail so close to shore.

We had an amazing view of them from our starboard balcony on Ventura as we sailed into St Lucia on the morning. You'll need to be up early though.. around 7am. I wouldn't count on seeing them when you sail in the evening as when we left it was to dark to see anything!

hope this helps.

Archived