Master Chef dinner?

NH Cruisers

Not likely we will go to it next month with our 6 grandkids -- not much most of them would want -- several want only plain steak & potatoes. Sure hope whole week's menus are to the kids liking. The 3 oldest are more adventurous and will try things on the cruise that they don't get at home in Tenn.

Maybe Westerdam won't have it by then....

Alot of the entries & appetizers would appeal to just Mike & me....

It is held on the last night of the cruise.

My write of it from a few years ago -- the new menu (I don't have it) has a few more items on it than the original dinner. But the performance and acts are still the same:

snip....Yonnie, we suffered through that just a week ago last night on the Maasdam. :eek: It's still pretty much the same - I talked our tablemates into going after they had made reservations for the 4 of us at the Canaletto to avoid it...I felt badly NOT going as we had a wonderful dining steward we had on the Noordam a few years ago and hadn't done his envelope yet.

Next time, we'll be better prepared, make reservations elsewhere, and hand out their envelopes at the last formal night!

Statendam Nov 2010 Panama - full on MDC - perfectly awful and our own waiters were so embarrassed and just went through the motions with the most pained expressions on their faces. We hated it, they hated it but maybe 1/3 of the other passengers cheered and loved it. Groan.:( But since we did the PG/MCD switch on our June 2010 Zuiderdam and had the "worst possible dinner on planet earth" we promised we would never take a chance switching out of the MCD again, particularly if we had a great MDR service team -- which we did...... and always have had so we wanted to share our last night with them ...regardless of the canned last night MCD foolishness. So looking forward to shifts to a more dignified last night event.

-- several want only plain steak & potatoes. Sure hope whole week's menus are to the kids liking.

Except for the night of the Master Chef's Dinner, there's an "always available" menu that includes steak, chicken, baked potato every night.

There's also a childrens menu that has all the favorites. There's fingers & fries, fish sticks, mac & cheese, spaghetti & meatball, PB & J, hot dog. The good stuff! :D Especially for the Master Chef's Dinner night, but even for other nights, too, I would suggest that you place any orders off that menu on the night before, so the kitchen can be prepared.

Does anyone know if they do this on cruises that are less than 7 nights?

Hoping to avoid it on our 4 night repo in May.....

Thanking you in advance.

we have done the full repositioning cruises -- it was held the night before we pulled into san diego

there was nothing the last four days of the cruise heading to seattle

snip....Yonnie, we suffered through that just a week ago last night on the Maasdam. :eek: It's still pretty much the same - I talked our tablemates into going after they had made reservations for the 4 of us at the Canaletto to avoid it...I felt badly NOT going as we had a wonderful dining steward we had on the Noordam a few years ago and hadn't done his envelope yet.

Next time, we'll be better prepared, make reservations elsewhere, and hand out their envelopes at the last formal night!

that's what we did on each segment of our rybdam and nieuw amsterdam cruises -- pre-booked the speciality restaurants and handed out our extra tips the next to the last evening -- formal night

Does it cost extra to eat at Canaletto? Didn't see any surcharge listed on HAL's discussion of that restaurant. Under sample menus it looked like there were 7 and different entres on each menu -- does it change daily?? Can you eat there even if you have traditional main dining?

By the way, today I was searching for info about the various beverage cards and wine packages on the HAL website and couldn't find it, even doing a search -- anyone have a link to that info???

Does it cost extra to eat at Canaletto? Didn't see any surcharge listed on HAL's discussion of that restaurant. Under sample menus it looked like there were 7 and different entres on each menu -- does it change daily?? Can you eat there even if you have traditional main dining?

Everyone can eat at Canaletto, so long as there's room. There's no charge, either. That's why reservations are highly recommended.

When Canaletto first started, there were different menus, but within short order that was reduced to one menu every night.

By the way, today I was searching for info about the various beverage cards and wine packages on the HAL website and couldn't find it, even doing a search -- anyone have a link to that info???
You must log in, and then either go to My Account > My Reservations > Purchase > Indulgences, or on the Home page under For Booked Guests choose Buy Onboard Gifts.

Archived