Making the ship on time

tuxjamie

Our flight gets into Miami at 12:49pm and our ship pulls out at 4pm. Do we have enough time to get to the ship on time?

Note that passengers need to be on the ship 90 minutes prior to sailing time, which is 2:30 P.M.

MIA is about a 10 minute taxi ride to the Port of Miami. As long as your plane lands on time and you get your luggage quickly, and there is no traffic, you should make it.

Good luck.

Assume the plane lands on time and you get off the plane promptly. By the time you get your luggage and out of the airport, it will be at least 1:30. This is assuming that there are zero problems a the airport.

If the ship pulls out 4:00, you are supposed to be on board 90 minutes early for security reasons or 2:30.

That means you have 1 hour to get from the airport to the ship. If you have any problems at all, you are dead.

BTW - you did not say where you are flying from or if the flight is non-stop.

I would not want to begin my vacation with that sort of stress. I hope that you have a plan to get to the first port, just in case.

DON

There are so many ifs...

If it's not too late, get travel insurance because this is going to be close...

Most travel insurance policies won't cover this because its too close...They usually want 5-6 hrs or so between flight landing time and sail time.

OP if you have insurance or are planning to get it read the policy thoroughly to see if this would be covered.

Hope it works out!

No, this is the only flight that gets in before 1pm. Everything else didn't get in until after 6pm. The only thing that we could of done was go down the night before which was not an option for us. I think we will do carry on luggage to be safe that way and hope for the best. Our flight is in April so the snow shouldn't be a problem. All paper work is done ahead of time. Thanks to all for the advice.

Good luck!! I really hope there are no bumps in the road for you. I think you are very brave for cutting it so close. I am flying to Miami the day of our cruise as well, but my plane lands at 6:50 am, and it is a non stop flight!

No, this is the only flight that gets in before 1pm. Everything else didn't get in until after 6pm. The only thing that we could of done was go down the night before which was not an option for us. I think we will do carry on luggage to be safe that way and hope for the best. Our flight is in April so the snow shouldn't be a problem. All paper work is done ahead of time. Thanks to all for the advice.

Snow may not be an issue, but thunderstorms, mechanical difficulties, and connecting flight challenges may be issues! :eek: I travel too much for work and can assure you that 6 of my last 8 flights were delayed - none by snow. :(

The smart cruiser always arrives in his departure city at least one day early, just in case. :cool: Do carry-ons and grab a cab - $24+tip flat rate from MIA to POM - and pray! :o Good luck! :)

I work for the airlines, and I would never, ever, EVER take a flight that lands so close to the ship's departure. A weather delay is just one of a LONG list of possible delays.

Since you mention that you can't fly the day before, all you can do is hope that everything is on time. Don't torture yourself with the what ifs. However, DO have a backup plan (alternate plan of action to meet the ship at the next port of call, extra cash for possible delays, unplanned expenses, etc).

And for whoever wrote that booking air through Carnival will protect you, my understanding is that this is not the case. They will not hold the ship indefinitely for you or fly you free of charge to your next port of call. My PVP has always encouraged me to purchase insurance which covers airline delays

You'll probably be okay. Unless of course, something strange happens like crap falls *off* your plane and you have to make a pit stop in Atlanta. Just barely made my Jan 9th cruise, will never fly the same day again just due to the headaches of that.

I learned back in 2001 my son was flying from NJ I was flying from NC. There was a bad storm no snow cause this was in August. My flight was delayed but I made it to Miami in time my sons flights were delayed. When his cab pulled up the ship was blowing the horn and about to pull out. Him and some other passengers didnt even have time to do security checks. Just checked names and sent them to customer service. That is where I met him cause I was there trying to find out what was going to happen and how I could get him to the first port. But he made it and that is when I started flying in or driving a day ahead of time. So if you can change your flights I would try n do that cause thats cutting it to close.

Archived