Anchorage/Retal Car/Major Marine PWS Glacier Tour

charlielinda

I had heard that the PWS Glacier Tours are wonderful and thought that we'd do that on one of our free days in Anchorage. Folks on the Boards have suggested that instead of taking the train we rent a car and drive so . . . today I rented an Avis car from downtown Anchorage for $74 for a full size car which will be much less expensive than the train. I think we'll do the Major Marine tour because of the good reviews and there is a 2-1 coupon in the Northern Lights coupon book (which I'll purchase) and do that. So . . . my questions are (1) what time should be leave Anchorage -- I understand we need to go through the tunnel during the 11:30 opening (what time are the openings); (2) is Whitter good for walking around after the tour; (3) the tour is over at 6:30 p.m. -- how do we time the tunnel for our drive back? Any information or suggestions you have would be wonderful. -- Thanks so much!~:)

The only thing I can speak to is your question 2. There is nothing in Whittier. Their is nothing there except a cruise ship dock and the small ship dock where you will catch your tour. I don't know where you are with resevations, but have you looked in to the KENAI NATIONAL PARK TOUR out of Seward. A longer drive but no tunnel worries and a lot more to do. Northern Lights also has a coupon for that tour from 2 different vendors. I'm booked on it in early June.

Good for you. What a wonderful day trip!

The drive to the tunnel is close to 1 1/2 hrs, but it's a wonderful drive so leave early and take advantage of the lovely scenery. It's an easy drive; a 2 lane hwy for the most part. One side of the road is forest, mountains, and glaciers and the other side is the Turnagain Arm (like a large bay). Lots of places to stop and enjoy the views. Watch for moose in the marshy areas and sheep high up in the rocky areas. Here's a link to the drive.

http://alaska.org/driving/turnagain-arm-drive.htm

OrlandoVic posted the tunnel schedule. And no, there is NOTHING in Whittier, so use your time to make more stops on the drive back.

The Swiftwater Cafe (?) has the best shrimp I have ever tasted. It's down by the ferry dock and Veteran's memorial. I always try to eat there when I'm in Whittier. There are a number of small shops and cafes, a couple of bars, but not much else. The scenery is stunning on a clear day and the glacier cruise is superb.

You could consider visiting the Wildlife Conservation area too. http://www.alaskawildlife.org/visit.html You'll pass the entrance to the center on the right hand side of the Seward Highway right before you turn on the road to Portage Glacier and the Whittier Tunnel.

There is also a coupon in the NL book for it too.

As someone else has mentioned there isn't really a whole lot to do in Whittier. It was originally there because it was originally built as a fueling port for the Army and Air Force Base here in Anchorage during WW II.

Basically, everyone in town lives in one building of condos called Begich Towers.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We loved out 6 hour PWS tour that went thru Esther passage, one of the highlights of our trip. But we did that on sailaway day before getting on the ship, which may or may not be an option. The tunnel was really a neat experience. You will have a great time.

Archived