ATM safety and locations in Europe

solo2011

Hello, I'm sailing solo this summer to Europe and have been told to convert my us dollars to euro when i arrive in barcelona at one of the ATMS in the airport. My question is as a solo traveler is it safe for me to go to an ATM alone and are the machines easy to use and under stand. Also I'm thinking about joining a group i meet on line for tour excursions and the tour operator only take euros as payment they will be picking use up at the port and since they will be doing this i will not have time to find an ATM every time we get into port should i get all my money at one time when i get off the airplane or are there ATM at the cruise ports that i can use so I'm not walking around the a load of money. Please Help

Very good questions. Yes, there are many ATMs in Barcelona (and Europe) and its common to find multiple ATMs on nearly every block in the busy areas. Common sense is the best security when using ATMs (or just traveling) so here are a few of our personal observations. Its always best to use bank ATMs (preferably located at or outside a bank office) as opposed to free-standing ATMs owned by private companies. Always be aware of your surroundings and make sure that nobody is close enough to see you enter a PIN number. Using an ATM in a busy area is always safer then in a remote location. A few other things might help on your trip. Notify your ATM card issuing bank (and your credit card companies) of your itinerary before you leave home (this avoids security issues when they detect unsual usage patterns). You should have a 4 digit PIN and know that PIN in numbers (letters are often not on European ATMs). Also keep in mind that pickpockets and purse snatchers are not uncommon in major tourist centers so always protect your valuables. As an example, on our last visit to Barcelona we saw a guy snatch a purse from a tourist lady who had simply put her purse under her chair (two of us stopped the thief and retrieved her purse and the lady never had a clue). Gypsies are very good at their craft (the good news is that they will seldom harm a victim) so you should be better at protecting your valuables. Professional thieves always look for the "easy mark" and just being aware of your surroundings and taking reasonable precautions will normally protect you from problems.

Hank

There's been a lot posted on these boards about ATM use while traveling. It's one of the easiest and least expensive ways to obtain foreign currencies while traveling. I often travel solo for pleasure and business and have used ATMs all over in Europe, Asia, and Africa.

First thing -- be sure you tell your bank that you will be traveling and using your ATM card abroad. Otherwise they may "freeze" your account thinking that someone is attempting fraud.

Find out what your daily withdrawal limit is. If it's low (like $200), ask your bank to temporarily raise it. This enables you to take out more money at once, since most ATMs charge a fee for every transaction.

Also -- be sure your pin is a 4-digit one, and that you know the numbers (not just the letters) as many ATMs outside the US only have keypads with numbers.

If you're counting on your debit card to obtain most of your travel money, I'd make sure you have a second card. Keep this card in a very safe place (like on board ship in your safe, or in your hotel safe). This is just in case of the unlikely event that the ATM eats your card. (Never had it happen to me, but others have reported it.)

Now, to get to specifics. Yes, there are ATMs in the Barcelona airport and yes, they are safe to use. Almost every ATM you run across will have an English option. Just look for the symbol (usually a British flag, but occasionally an American flag) to switch to English.

However, don't think that the airport will be your only chance. ATMs are as prevalent in Europe as in the US -- in other words, in a city they are on just about every street corner.

For safety, I recommend using bank-affiliated ATMs, and always exercise appropriate caution (e.g., don't use an ATM in a deserted area, make sure no one is hovering close enough to see your transaction, etc)

Whatever you do, don't walk around with a load of money any more than you have to. If you must carry money with you (e.g., getting to your hotel or similar), I strongly suggest a money belt or pouch worn inside your clothing. Barcelona in particular is notorious for pickpocketers and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't keep an eye on those using ATMs and target them, since they will obviously have just gotten cash.

I'm sure others will have some additional tips -- hope this helps!

Edited to add: Sorry for the repetition. Hank was posting at the same time I was typing....

You don't mention which specific ports you are referring to. However, in general, ATMs are found all over the place in Europe just as they are in the USA. Usually, they are on the street outside bank branches, in bars, in grocery stores, in convenience stores, in public places, etc. There MAY be a limit to the number of euros you can withdrawal at one time, so depending on how many euros you may need for your tours that require euros, you may look into getting some euros from your local USA bank. Most can get them for you with a few days notice (for a fee). But the fee might be worth it if you will not have an opportunity to get a large enough quantity from an ATM in Europe. My normal routine is to only carry about $100 US with me to Europe. I then find an ATM at the airport and get enough euros for my first couple days. I then refresh with local ATMs as I do my sightseeing. If, you're in a populated city area, you'll likely have no real problems finding an ATM unless you simply do not have time such as when you are on a guided tour that doesn't give you any free time.

Airport terminals are a pretty safe place. I'd say first place is just out of baggage you'll find usually 2-4 different major bank ATMs.

All major cities also have ATMs everywhere.

I think all are no more dangerous or safe then using in the states. Use common sense, don't use remove ATMs or late a night etc.

Another common sense thing would be to NEVER use non bank ATMs. Given all the fraud going on it seems a nobrainer but people seem to not follow common sense here.

Good luck!

The fee for using the foreign ATM is hidden in the exchange rate. Airport ATMs are bad. As suggested above by few posts, always use any "Bank" ATM preferably during banking hours. One can then get help if needed in case the ATM swallows your card.

The fee for using the foreign ATM is hidden in the exchange rate. Airport ATMs are bad. As suggested above by few posts, always use any "Bank" ATM preferably during banking hours. One can then get help if needed in case the ATM swallows your card.

Actually, you don't need to be worried about bank ATMs giving you a different rate in the airport. (As Hank says, private ATMs can be a different story.)

If the bank or company which owns the ATM is going to charge you, it must tell you so on the screen before you make the transaction. (EU legislation.) If you use, for example, a Santander bank machine at the airport or in the middle of Barcelona, the exchange rate will be exactly the same.

Your bank will likely charge a fee. They should advise you of this somewhere in the list of bank charges sent out by the bank periodically, or on their website.

Lisa

Many discover (the hard way) that the fee problem is their own bank. Many US Banks charge hefty fees when you use foreign ATMs which can be especially onerous if you are only withdrawing small amounts. We use a Credit Union that charges zero fees for using foreign ATMs (most credit unions are much more consumer friendly) and we only pay the standard 1% (built into the exchange rate) charged by Visa International (they do much of the ATM foreign exchange transactions for many different banks). This is the best exchange rate you can get anywhere. CapitalOne credit cards are the other popular foreign exchange trick since those cares are among the very few with no foreign exchange fees. Most credit cards charge anywhere from 2 - 4% on every transaction (often built into the rates).

Hank

Thanks everyone for all the advise, I'm a very cautious person i all ways look over my shoulder when at an ATM and never use one at nite. Just nervous about going so far away and not really under standing the basics. I tried to go to my locale AAA and they would not even answer one of my question because i was not a member. I will be in a different port every day of my cruise and my excursion all start around 8am and last about 9 hours so this is way i need to know about safety as i will not have a lot of time to run and find atms to pay for my tours. Sorry for not including the ports of call(barcelona,Monaco,Rome,Livorno,Naples,Messina) Again thank you for all comments.

Solo, the nice thing about your itinerary is that you only need Euros..since that is the currency in all those countries. It usually makes sense to get a larger withdrawal at your first opportunity which will be at your arriving airport (if its Barcelona they do have plenty of ATMs in the airport). Your bank (and the European bank that owns the ATM) will have a daily maximum on your withdrawals which can vary, but its often about 300 Euros. If your excursions are mostly private tours then you do need to plan ahead to have enough cash for your tours..unless they will take a credit card. If you are taking cruise line excursions they will be charged to your on-board account. Had to smile when you said you were taking full day tours everywhere because we imagine your tours will cost nearly as much as your cruise. Excursion are never cheap in Europe!

Hank

For a different slant.......

I always get all the Euros I need before leaving home. I know it may cost a bit more, but I think it's worth it to not have the worry about finding ATMs while on shore excursions etc. I wear a waist wallet (found at Wal Mart for $7) and once on board, I only take enough money with me for the day and leave the rest in the safe.

Check with your bank. B of A doesn't charge a fee for over $1000. Others have used Wells Fargo. AAA has a service but is very expensive. Also look for "currency exchange" in the phone book in your city. The one I use charges no feel for over $1000 and guarantees to beat any bank rate.

Thanks Ethel5, just came across a company called Travelex Secure on the AAA website they offer a Euro Cash Passport Debit Card that is not connected to my bank card and has a master card logo. I can purchase one at my hometown airport and whatever euro money i don't use they buy back. Has anyone heard of this company?

Many US banks have arrangements with foreign banks to process their US customer ATM transactions without "out-of-network" fees. You still pay the currency conversion fee, of course, but not the other fee. Check with your home bank for a list of partner banks in the countries you'll be visiting.

I want to reiterate the importance of letting your bank know you'll be traveling. Sometimes, even though you do this, they don't enter it into the system correctly and they will block your credit card access. It can be annoying and, most of all, time-wasting. Happened to me in Paris even though I had advised my CC company before I left the States of my travel dates. A phone call to their security dept. fixed things, but it can take awhile.

Thanks Ethel5, just came across a company called Travelex Secure on the AAA website they offer a Euro Cash Passport Debit Card that is not connected to my bank card and has a master card logo. I can purchase one at my hometown airport and whatever euro money i don't use they buy back. Has anyone heard of this company?

I don't know of them personally, but it's important to check their rates and fees before deciding. Some banks/exchanges claim they charge no fees -- but they give you a very bad exchange rate. You can always compare rates given with the official daily exchange rate at sites like this one: http://www.xe.com/ucc/ Also find out at what rate they will buy the currency back from you.

Someone on the Princess boards has posted several times about the currency exchange onboard ship; he calculated that if you buy your currency to Princess, then sell it back at the end, you will lose a significant chunk of value. Most exchanges may be slightly better than that, but none are giving a free ride....

Edited to add: The above applied to the US. I've read here that there are a few exchanges in Canada that actually provide a fair exchange.

AAA had been selling these cards for a few years. Unlike real debit cards that debit your bank account, these AAA cards are basically a pre-paid card where you deposit a certain amount on account and you can then use the card in most ATMs. The problem is that you really get a bad deal on the exchange rate. They used to require you to purchase the card by paying dollars for the Euros and then if you returned with any balance they would reconvert the Euros back to dollars (taking a nice percentage each way). When we looked carefully at these cards about 3 years ago we thought they were close to being a rip-off because of the bad exchange rates. As we pointed out in an earlier post, most frequent international travelers rely on their regular ATM/Debit cards and credit cards (CapitalOne being the best for several reasons). Another newer issue has to do with the Europeans moving to Chip/PIN credit cards which do not currently exist in the US. This can sometimes cause difficulty when trying to use a magnetic strip US card in automatic machines that accept credit cards (such as ticket vending machines in train stations) so its a good idea to always have some extra Euros just in case a credit card fails to work.

Hank

We found Travelex at Airports in the US has terrible rates. Euros can be purchased in SF at a rate comparable to foreign ATMs if all costs are added. But carrying cash is risky because we have uncertainty about how safe even 3* hotels room safes are in foreign countries. If we are staying a few days pre-cruise then ATMs become the best option.

Archived