Which ship is your favorite currently sailing out of San Juan?

lskoob

We sailed on the Crown Princess a few years ago... it is still our favorite cruise and ship so far. We want to have a similar (or even better?) experience this December in celebration of our 25th anniversary, but I'm having some indecision about which ship/cruise line.

Carnival would win if it were a price-only competition. None of the others come close. And if the airfares keep increasing, that may be our only option. But the Victory gets mixed reviews, so I'm reluctant. BUT, we're sailing on Carnival next month, so I could purchase an FCC to make it an even better deal, then we'd probably upgrade to an aft extended balcony.

But beyond Carnival, all the others are similarly priced. Do any of them stand out? Royal AOS? Caribbean Princess? Would Concierge Class on X Summit be a significantly upscale experience (which would still be less $$ than Princess's cheapest balcony!) Also, my spouse enjoys the poolside theater, so I'm trying to make sure he gets that.

I love having lots of options . . . just need a little help sorting them out. Opinions appreciated!

Lori

If you're going with Royal Caribbean, I'd recommend the Serenade over the Adventure. The Serenade has a nicer solarium and lots of glass so you can see the ocean.

You won't find poolside theatre on Royal Caribbean ships.

Friends of mine have done the Caribbean Princess twice and loved it.

• 1 month later...

I have sailed on both AOS (2X) & SOS last year. SOS without a doubt. Beautiful ship, lots of glass to see out of and the best crew we have had in 10 years of crusing. SOS is a smaller ship.

PS I Love My Lab Too--Great Name

We have done the Caribbean Princess and loved it. We spent 3 days pre cruise in OSJ and 2 post out by the air port. Great time in San Jaun as well as on the cruise.

If you're going with Royal Caribbean, I'd recommend the Serenade over the Adventure. The Serenade has a nicer solarium and lots of glass so you can see the ocean.

You won't find poolside theatre on Royal Caribbean ships.

Friends of mine have done the Caribbean Princess twice and loved it.

I've also sailed on the Serenade and the Adventure of the Seas. While I loved both of them, I loved the Serenade because there were less children and a calmer and nicer atmosphere. I loved the AOS because I had my whole family including grandkids with me and it was more appropriate for them.

I would definitely go with the Serenade.

I may cruising the Carnival Victory next year and the couple I talked to that were just on the ship loved it. Said food was great, plenty of entertainment, and rooms were clean and service was great. They said they would absolutely go on that ship again. We were on the Carnival Legend last year and loved it! For the price and service you can't beat it!

In the RCL Serenade vs. Adventure debate, if you are just talking about the ship itself, then definitely Serenade. Gorgeous ship, top notch service! Can't go wrong with any Radiance class ship. (Anyone who reads this and then looks at my sig probably thinks I'm a total hypocrite, touting Serenade but booked on Adventure. This is because I am a port snob above all else, and it is Adventure doing the route I want the week I have vacation.)

We've sailed both the RCCL Adventure of the Seas and the Serenade of the Seas from San Juan. I echo the comments of the previous posters- the Serenade is my favorite. Just a beautiful ship with great sea views and excellent service. I would, however, sail the Adventure if the Serenade wasn't sailing to ports I wanted to visit.

My favourite ship sailing out of San Juan is the Carnival Victory because that is where I will be this coming May.

I sailed on Victory in 2006 before its overhaual. I liked it, perhaps because it was my first cruise. I am looking forward to seeing the changes.

In 2008 I sailed on Carnival Destiny out of San Juan. I haven't met a Carnival ship yet(only 3 to date) that I haven't liked.

We will be going on the Serenade in July and it will be our first time out of Puerto Rico so I can comment on the ships. But we did choose RCL because the Carnival cruise seemed to port intensive for me.

I like to have a couple of days at sea to relax.

But it is good to hear favorable comments on the Serenade.

I've also sailed on the Serenade and the Adventure of the Seas. While I loved both of them, I loved the Serenade because there were less children and a calmer and nicer atmosphere. I loved the AOS because I had my whole family including grandkids with me and it was more appropriate for them.

I would definitely go with the Serenade.

People always seem to say that the AOS is better for kids. If that's the case, I wonder where were all the kids on our Feb 27th sailing? I only recall seeing a handful of kids...and don't recall seeing even one in the MDR (even though we had early seating).

The AOS had fantastic service, wonderful food, it's a gorgeous ship. Never been on the Serenade, but can't imagine it could possibly be better than the AOS.

We sailed on Crown Princess during Easter 2007. We loved it so much we're sailing on Caribbean Princess 5 weeks today! (17th April).

We sailed on Sea Princess twice (Easter 2008 & Easter 2010) but are going back to the larger ships embarking at US ports as we prefer the company from the Western side of the pond!

• 2 weeks later...

Lori,

DH and I have sailed on both the Serenade and the Adventure and just booked a b2b on the Serenade next year. So, yes, my vote is the Serenade.

However, I want to add that no one so far has keyed in on your mention of an AFT balcony. We are MAJOR AFT balcony fans and Serenade AFTs are really, really special! Check them out on the boards. The cabin class is D2 and believe it or not you will have to work to find one open for December, but if you book onr you will be so glad you did!!! Our Jan b2b is in an AFT!

My husband and I did this ship and itinerary for OUR 25th and it remains one of, if not our favorite cruise ever.

Hope you book it and just love it,

Nancy

We've been on Adventure 4 times, most recently on Jan 3-10, 2010. Three times with just my wife and I, and the most recent with our 3 and 1 year old children. If airfare to San Juan for four hadn't been so outrageously expensive (two and half times more than the cost of the cruise!) our next cruise would have been on Adventure as well. The crew was fantastic on each cruise - they treated us like royalty each and every time!

Even though the next cruise is booked i'm still going to look for an opportunity to sail on that ship again someday!

Archived