Which has better beach: Grand Turk or Mahogany Bay

Dena

We are looking at several Caribbean itineraries. We will only be getting off the ship at Princess Cays and either Grand Turk or Mahogany Bay. We are only interested in going to the beach for a quick swim, we can't bake in the sun anymore, and will probably only be off the ship for an hour or two at either of these ports, so we are specifically interested in these recently built cruise centers, not touring the islands. That is not what this trip is about for us. We like that these are not tender ports and we will not have to get in a motor vehicle to get to the beach, just walking is a wonderful convenience.

So which beach is nicer. I have read that Mahogany bay has sand fleas and Mosquitos, this probably won't matter since we just plan on taking quick dip, drying off, and going back to the ship. Is the water warm and clear. Is it murky. Some wrote about sea grass and eels. We don't care about snorkeling. Just looking for warm, clear water.

From the photos, Grand Turk looks much nicer. I don't mind wearing water

shoes. Is either beach better than Princess Cay. I hope so. For us, Princess Cay was just okay. Very cold water.

We were just in Mahogany Bay on the Crown Princess and really enjoyed it. Didn't notice any fleas and the water was calm, warm and clear.

Although it was developed by Carnival Corporation for 63 million dollars it feels very different than Princess Cays.

There is also a very nice shopping area.

If like us you just wanted to relax and weren't doing a tour of Roatan then Mahogany Beach is a great place to spend 2 to 7 hours. Very easy access to and from the ship.

1162773506_Pd4Sm-L.jpg

1162773562_9JZpt-L.jpg

1162773568_dcjzz-L.jpg

• 10 months later...

Grand Turk is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer than Mahogany Bay! Water is much clearer and the sand is whiter in Grand Turk! Love it there...we try to make that a stop on all of our cruises...if you do choose to go to grand turk, skip Margaritaville and walk a mile the other way on the beach to go to Jack's Shack...it's a locally owned beach bar by Jack & his wife! it's amazing...and drink prices are awesome! And since it's a mile the other way...most cruisers won't walk that way and then don't see it...however it's very safe & clean and A BLAST! bar is right on the beach! We only found out about it when one of our excursion guides told us to skip the commerical Margaritaville and visit Jack's Shack....we did, and we are so glad that we did! Jack's Shack (in turks and caicos) actually has a facebook page..so check it out :)

It really is the luck of the draw. Although we haven't been to Grand Turk, Mahogany Bay is prone to be a little rough when the winds are up. We have seen it too rough to dock there and the water was a roiled gray from the turbulance. It is pretty nice when the wind right.

Never been to Mahogany Bay, but we have been to Grand Turk. Unfortunately, it suffered by being on the same itinerary as Half Moon Cay, which is a MUCH nicer beach. I liked Grand Turk though, as the ship was even closer than what these pictures show for Mahogany Bay. Plus, there is a large pool at Margaritaville, and a flowrider if you feel like giving it a go.

One thing that can be a drawback at Grand Turk is they handle 2 ships at a time, but quite often they put 3 in, and overlap the times. While we were there, the Caribbean Princess was there from 7-noon, we were there 7-3 and the Carnival Miracle was there 1-7. You have to be out of the water when a ship is leaving or arriving, so that meant an hour or so in the middle of our day when everyone had to be out. Oh, and Jack's Shack is a lot closer than the mile referenced in an above post. 500 steps up the beach (you don't have to go out of the cruise center gates onto the road, as the cruise center itself is not a secure area, only the pier which you access through Ron Jon's).

I like Grand Turk MUCH more than Mahogany Bay. We did not like it there much at all.

We have enjoyed a number of visits to Grand Turk. We normally sit around the huge pool there but have walked to the very nearby beach. The whole complex is better at Grand Turk IMO

Grand Turk is gorgeous. I recommend not going to the beach right by the pier due to rocks, etc but walking out of the cruise port center & going to Governor's Beach. White sand, calm waters & great snorkeling right off the beach. They have chairs & snorkel gear available for rent. I think the chairs were $10 each. I'm not sure about the snorkel fee as we had our own. :)

If you are just focusing on the beach, I would agree that Grand Turk is nicer than Mahogany Bay if only for its lovely white sand. While I have not found the water cool at Princess Cays (I have found the air temp cool when you get out of the water though) you should find it it warmer at GT. However there is much more to do in Roatan than just the beach, it is a completely different culture and it would be to bad to go there without taking some of it in.

I agree that Grand Turk is MUCH better than Mahogany Bay

In Mahaogany Bay, which was built by Carnival, the beach is on an island next to the port. It is a long walk over the bridge there or you can take a cable car there. When we first went there the cable car was $5 each, as many times as you wanted to use it. I think that price is now more. I don't remember trees or shade on the beach itself. Last two times there, we didn't get off the ship. We snorkel but that was nonexistant there.

In Grand Turk, which may have been built by Carnival too, there are lots of trees on the beach for shade. They also have a free form pool (with a bridge across the pool!), a flow rider, swim up bar, Margaritaville and nice shops. You can rent a golf cart to go into town here if you don't want to take a cab.

In both ports the only thing there is the port and the port's shops. If you want to do anything esle, you have to take a cab and there aren't natives trying to sell you excursions at either port.

Once we couldn't get into Mahogany bay because of winds - even though there was another ship there- only two ships can be there at the same time Only one side of the pier can be used.

We have always been able to get to Grand Turk except right after hurricane Hanna before hurricane Ike. There was damage to the pier.

Tabayana Beach in Roatan, Honduras is an absolutely beautiful beach. It's a short thirty minute ride to the west side of the island. The beach is wonderful. There's a restaurant, cash bar, and a few small stores. Vendors sell various items and I was told by fellow passengers that the snorkeling was great. My family and I spent four hours at the beach on the August 21st sailing of the Carnival Valor. We wish we had more time there.

Grand Turk is also a Carnival created tourist area.........

For what it is, it is an enjoyable day, for us. Others may disagree.

Costa Maya is also a cruise ship created tourist spot and again, the once we were there, we enjoyed a day at the pool or beach. We roamed in the few shops and enjoyed the sun and fun.

Once we couldn't get into Mahogany bay because of winds -

This evidently is a common occurrence, when we were there in January we backed up the channel to the pier. There was some wind and were told that if it had been much brisker we wouldn't have attempted the docking.

If I had to choose between the three, I'd skip Princess Cays. I find the water too cool to swim. Plus, there is a good chance of missing Princess Cays as well, its a tender port so if things are too rough you'll miss it. The only reason I get off the ship at Princess Cays is because DH insists.

I think people are getting mixed up. It is Roatan, with Mahogany Bay, which is tricky to get into. If the winds are off, you stand a chance of not being able to dock.

That being said, Roatan is a wonderful island, though I did not get to Mahogany Bay, since the Dream could not dock there last year, due to currents. Grand Turk is lovely, and has a nice beach, and a Margarita-ville right there. No entrance fees, but wonderful large pool, and easy to find chairs.

I went snorkling at another spot on the island, and spent some nice time on the beach, and at the pool afterwards.

Grand Turk can be tricky in the wind as well and ships have been known to miss it.

True! We missed it 2 of the 3 cruises scheduled to do there. Finally on the 3rd cruise we made it! I agree Grand Turk is a better "beach day" port than Mahogany Bay. At MB they have way too many chairs, all too close together. When I saw it, I went back to the ship and enjoyed peace & quiet by the pool instead.

Sue/WDW1972

Noordam 1/13/12

Ryndam 11/25/12

DCL Dream 11/10/13

• 2 weeks later...

Another plus about Grand Turk is that the water is incredibly buoyant. We were able to stay in for hours, in water over our head, without expending much effort at all to stay afloat. In other places, we would have been exhausted!

Archived