Is the Radiance of the Seas "cursed"?

ryano

Please dont flame me...........im just asking a silly question :)

The Radiance sure seems to be having her share of problems and I find that strange for a ship that isnt even 10 years old yet.

The plumbing problems on board seem to be getting more widespread and now she is having "engine issues".

Im a little worried about my upcoming cruise to say the least yet I know there is nothing i can do but go with the flow.

I guess the biggest worry is having a flooded out cabin and them not having another cabin to put me in since i have to have a HA cabin or my cruise being delayed or shortened because of other issues like the engine.

Sorry y'all. Stressing out this close to sail time is what I do best it seems lol. :(:o Just hate to hear such negative news on what seems to be a lot of cruisers favorite ship.

The Radiance sure seems to be having her share of problems and I find that strange for a ship that isnt even 10 years old yet.

The plumbing problems on board seem to be getting more widespread and now she is having "engine issues".

Im a little worried about my upcoming cruise to say the least yet I know there is nothing i can do but go with the flow.

I guess the biggest worry is having a flooded out cabin and them not having another cabin to put me in since i have to have a HA cabin or my cruise being delayed or shortened because of other issues like the engine.

Sorry y'all. Stressing out this close to sail time is what I do best it seems lol. :(:o Just hate to hear such negative news on what seems to be a lot of cruisers favorite ship.

We were on her over New Years Eve, and we're on her again in five weeks. If we could figure out a way to live on the Radiance, we would in a heartbeat. Didn't hear a single complaint about plumbing on our last cruise (and we were on the supposedly notorious deck 7), and doubt we'll hear any complaints on our next one either.

I will find out next month. Though the plumbing problems are not unique to the Radiance, as we had those on the Jewel we just came off of on Monday. Stopped up plumbing and toilets would not flush, (shipwide) on several mornings. Noticed sewer gas smell in several areas the whole 10 days.

Even if it is, it's nowhere nearly as cursed as any HAL ship.

*whisper* I hear the dead walk HAL decks. *whisper*

Ditto to that. We had a suite on our one and only HAL cruise and could only get hot water out of the bathroom tap all week, even though they proclaimed to "fix" it...it never changed. Brushing your teeth with boiling hot water was not fun. :(

May I ask where you heard that the plumbing problems are more wide spread and that she is now having engine issues!??

here is the thread about the engine issues and its also being mentioned in the 1-27-11 roll call thread. it is confirmed now by someone on board that the Radiance is going to be back in Tampa at midnight tonight and will not leave for 24 hours.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1346354

the plumbing issues I have read about from people that have recently cruised on the Radiance but maybe "widespread" was a little too strong of a word.

We were on her over New Years Eve, and we're on her again in five weeks. If we could figure out a way to live on the Radiance, we would in a heartbeat. Didn't hear a single complaint about plumbing on our last cruise (and we were on the supposedly notorious deck 7), and doubt we'll hear any complaints on our next one either.
We were on the same cruise as you - on deck 8 though. We had a total of 4 balcony cabins and not one flooded out. We had a great time and there were no negative issues with crew service or the ship's performance at all. If there was one issue it was that the ship was not allowed to enter the port at it's scheduled time due to fog - but I actually enjoyed the extra time aboard. We would definitely sail Radiance & the Port of Tampa again.:)

here is the thread about the engine issues and its also being mentioned in the 1-27-11 roll call thread. it is confirmed now by someone on board that the Radiance is going to be back in Tampa at midnight tonight and will not leave for 24 hours.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1346354

the plumbing issues I have read about from people that have recently cruised on the Radiance but maybe "widespread" was a little too strong of a word.

It might be the azipods that are causing problems on Radiance not the engines. This is something that was going to be addressed when she goes into dry dock on May 20th.

As far as plumbing problems..............you will find this on any ship in the fleet not just on Radiance. Most of her major plumbing problems have been resolved.

It might be the azipods that are causing problems on Radiance not the engines. This is something that was going to be addressed when she goes into dry dock on May 20th.

As far as plumbing problems..............you will find this on any ship in the fleet not just on Radiance. Most of her major plumbing problems have been resolved.

Please tell me more...what is an azipod? And can they be easily fixed? We leave in 10 days and this is my dad's 1st vacation in 25 years (and 1st cruise). I will sell my soul to the devil to have these probelms go away. not joking.

Please tell me more...what is an azipod? And can they be easily fixed? We leave in 10 days and this is my dad's 1st vacation in 25 years (and 1st cruise). I will sell my soul to the devil to have these probelms go away. not joking.

An Azipod is the way the propellers are on the ship. It allows them to spin 360 degrees for better control. See the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod

Simply put, no you don't fix them easily since you need the ship out of the wate to do so. That is why they plan to do something while in Drydock.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about the Azipods or plumbing. First it is out of your control. Second it is unlikely you will notice any issues unless the plumbing problem is in your cabin and that is pretty rare. I think you and your father will have a great time, just keep thinking positive...

Kenny

me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be on the same cruise you are.......not the news we needed huh? :(

i have just had the most awful feeling in the pit of stomach about this trip-with no explanation as to why. Like I have been waiting for something to happen. Then the flooding issue came up - fine -we will chance it. No biggie. Then the 'sick ship' issue came up. Ugh. Ok. Now this. Better seriously readjust my attitude...we could be in for a doozy!

An Azipod is the way the propellers are on the ship. It allows them to spin 360 degrees for better control. See the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod

Simply put, no you don't fix them easily since you need the ship out of the wate to do so. That is why they plan to do something while in Drydock.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about the Azipods or plumbing. First it is out of your control. Second it is unlikely you will notice any issues unless the plumbing problem is in your cabin and that is pretty rare. I think you and your father will have a great time, just keep thinking positive...

Kenny

Thanks Kenny. For the information and good vibes. You are right-not a darn thing anyone can do about it But I really excel at worrying about things I can do nothing about! Will try to keep the faith!!!!

i have just had the most awful feeling in the pit of stomach about this trip-with no explanation as to why.

I know exactly how you feel. :( Ive had that same pit in my stomach for the last month or so.

The best way to avoid plumbing problems is to abide by one simple rule: "don't pass it through the plumbing until you pass it through yourself":D

Alot of the so called plumbing issues on the ROS are due to the passengers. Wash clothes being flushed and other personal items tend to cause the problems. The little sign that says "please place hygene items in waste can" is there for a reason. I guess some feel it doesn't apply to them.

We leave in 10 days and this is my dad's 1st vacation in 25 years (and 1st cruise). I will sell my soul to the devil to have these probelms go away. not joking.

Don't worry if there is engine trouble. The first cruise I took my children on, the ship never made port anywhere due to engine trouble.

They had a blast and were not disappointed at all with the ship. Cruises are still their favorite vacations. And they have been on a few.

Don't worry if there is engine trouble. The first cruise I took my children on, the ship never made port anywhere due to engine trouble.

They had a blast and were not disappointed at all with the ship. Cruises are still their favorite vacations. And they have been on a few.

So what happened? did the ship stayed tied up to the dock at the embarkation port?

I dont mind a 5 night "cruise to nowhere" but I wouldnt want to spend 5 nights at the port of Tampa. :o

Since the ship is able to return to Tampa under its own power, Im suspecting this "issue" cant be too severe?

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Radiance (sailed Jan 17-22) from Tampa. It is a beautiful ship with a delightful crew. Relax and prepare to enjoy yourself!!

Yes, there were a few isolated plumbing problems. I can only speak directly about our deck (9). We had problems with our shower drain and didn't report it the first night it flooded the bathroom (SHOULD HAVE!)... they sent a repairman immediately to fix it when we reported it--problem fixed. Another room in the hallway (near the Library) did flood and a wetvac was needed to dry the hallway carpet.

IF you have a problem, report it IMMEDIATELY. Bring an air freshner...all small cramped bathrooms have a "funny" odor and an air freshner helps!

But mostly, relax and enjoy....I wish I were going to be cruising again instead of shoveling snow tomorrow!!!!!

Archived