On board account

SeaSickGill

Hi Everyone

Sorry if this has been asked before but do we only need one person per cabin to register a credit card. And.....if the person with the credit card has a Portunus club discount ...does the discount cover the whole account, or just for the member i.e. if the two of us go on an excusion will the discount just apply to the PC members trip.

I know this is a very garbled question, but I know what I mean:)

Gillian X

I'm pretty sure the entire cost of excursions etc is charged to the onboard account of the person making the booking. In your case that would be the Portunus member / credit card holder. It's like in the bar when drinks are always charged to the person who signs the chitty not every person who has a drink. Think you sign something when you board to link the spending to one credit card, if I remember rightly. Hope that makes sense??

You each have your own on board account but can have it paid by just the one of you..

You each would have your own.. portunus discount so if one of you is Ruby and one Gold.. it would make sense to put the spends on the person who is Golds account on board. BUT the other person could pay the account if you register thier credit card ...

Person ONE GOLD... dosnt register a credit card

Person TWO RUBY.. registered their card to pay both accounts ...

Person two spends nothing all cruise but gets the final balance put on thier card to pay the account... Person one gets 10% discount on all the spends..and the final balance from their account is put on person twos account on the last night of the cruise for them to pay.

For excursions booking on line again select the person from the drop down box who you want the booking to go to. It dosnt have to be the person who booked. BUT the person who booked would have any OBC put on their account so if you want to use that up on excursions then you need to select them...

Any way its all quite clear on the P&O web site on the Cruise Personaliser you can log on and book cruises but can change from your name to the other name if you wish.. BUT if you book on board you just make sure they put the booking on the persons account you ask them to. It dosnt have to be the person who booked the cruise..

Usually the OBC is split between both of you in the cabin. We have used ours on our trips and booked some in my name and some in my husbands. First time we had OBC I didnt realise it was split and nearly lost it by not using my card. Portunus discount is not applied to anything you spend using OBC - they're not going to give it to you twice!!

Ummmm...

The booking was made in my mums name - it's her first cruise.

I'm the Ruby member and the only one who has a credit card. There is £100 OBC so god knows what'll happen to that if she isn't registering a credit card.

I suppose it'll all become apparent!

Thanks for your responses:)

I am still confused, The booking is in my name and I'm down as the ruby member but we will be using my husband's credit card to pay for everything (as usual:)) on previous cruises, sometimes I signed the bar bill sometimes he did, resulting in having 2 bills which he paid. Does it mean I have to sign for everything to get the discount once we've used our OBC even though he is the one actually paying the account?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

On a brighter note paid the balance yesterday so 8 weeks Monday we will be on pur way to southampton:D

I am still confused, The booking is in my name and I'm down as the ruby member but we will be using my husband's credit card to pay for everything (as usual:)) on previous cruises, sometimes I signed the bar bill sometimes he did, resulting in having 2 bills which he paid. Does it mean I have to sign for everything to get the discount once we've used our OBC even though he is the one actually paying the account?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

On a brighter note paid the balance yesterday so 8 weeks Monday we will be on pur way to southampton:D

Yes this is a confusing question! I know what you mean, I usually go with hubby and daughter and I'm sure we've just had a 'cabin account' that we've all been allowed to sign for.

Congratulations on paying your balance - we're going 10 weeks today - woohoo!:D

Ummmm...

The booking was made in my mums name - it's her first cruise.

I'm the Ruby member and the only one who has a credit card. There is £100 OBC so god knows what'll happen to that if she isn't registering a credit card.

I suppose it'll all become apparent!

Thanks for your responses:)

Come back and let us know as I'm not sure how this will work either. I reckon that as long as any extra purchases, beyond your OBC are made by you, on your cruise card rather than Mum's, you should get the discount. Not sure what would happen if Mum signs with her card. :confused:

Yes this is a confusing question! I know what you mean, I usually go with hubby and daughter and I'm sure we've just had a 'cabin account' that we've all been allowed to sign for.

Congratulations on paying your balance - we're going 10 weeks today - woohoo!:D

We had 2 separate accounts as you have different account numbers to each name, but all paid together on one credit card. We had to check both accounts to use up the OBC.

Have a great cruise :D

Each Portunus member has their own individual status and whoever signs the bill gets the appropriate discount.

No discount is given until the OBC credit is used up.

If paying on one credit card all spends and any remaining credit are transferred to the person paying. If any unused OBC is transferred the discount will be reduced to reflect the OBC transferred.

Brian

OBC.. it will be put in the persons name who booked the cruise... or if is Shareholders OBC it will be in their name..

YOu have to spend your OBC before you start to get your discount. We often spend ours on trips booked before we cruise. If you book online via P&O web site make sure you book the trips in the name of the person with the OBC.

YOU must all check in together so they can put your accounts on to the one Credit Card...

...well thats goodbye to the OBC! It has to be a credit card does it? I don't think my 70 odd year mum will get a credit card - well I know she won't.:(

Had a brain wave since writing that - I've added her as an extra card holder on my account! Woohoo!

This getting a little confused between credit card accounts and ship accounts.

First on checkin you can register as many people as you like to one credit card even if they are in different cabins (always assuming the credit card holder agrees!!). This means that at the end of the cruise all accounts will be consolidated and there will be a one off charge to the nominated credit card.

Secondly, each person who has sailed with P&O previously will have an existing individual Portunus account and will be entitled to the discount at whatever level they are at. The minimum is Ruby which is 5% discount. The discount is given to whoever signs the chit for expenditure on board. Each individual has a cruise card and their own individual on board account. The cruise card is also used to register you on and off the ship for security.

Third, any On Board Credit is split between the two persons occupying the cabin or if there is just one person in single occupancy you only get half.

Fourth, no discount is given until the OBC is used up.

If you are on Ventura or Azura you can view your account on your cabin TV. Any other ship you can go to reception and get a printout whenever you want.

Brian

Brian is correct.

My example. I booked the cruise. We are both Sapphire so get 7.5% discount

I am a Shareholder, so (for example) get a further £50 obc ON MY ACCOUNT.

We BOTH get (for example ) £75pp obc from our booking.

We used MY credit card at check-in.

We both sign bills onboard, any UNUSED obc my husband has IS TRANSFERRED to my account IT IS NOT LOST.

My account bill at the end of the cruise is seperated by cabin occupier name with all purchases on, minus obc, minus for me shareholders obc,the balance for both cabin occupants is transferred to me the credit card holder, it is deducted from credit card. You do not have to go to reception or sign anything to pay off account, it is direct debited automatically.

The bill account will be posted to your cabin on the morning of departure, you can query any unknown payments BEFORE you get off the ship at reception, it is very important to sort out before leaving the ship, otherwise it could take a lot of time and letters and phone calls to sort out.

Keep all chitties, ask for a interim bill after week 1 to see how account is running (or on Ventura/Azura) look on the tv screen.

This getting a little confused between credit card accounts and ship accounts.

First on checkin you can register as many people as you like to one credit card even if they are in different cabins (always assuming the credit card holder agrees!!). This means that at the end of the cruise all accounts will be consolidated and there will be a one off charge to the nominated credit card.

Secondly, each person who has sailed with P&O previously will have an existing individual Portunus account and will be entitled to the discount at whatever level they are at. The minimum is Ruby which is 5% discount. The discount is given to whoever signs the chit for expenditure on board. Each individual has a cruise card and their own individual on board account. The cruise card is also used to register you on and off the ship for security.

Third, any On Board Credit is split between the two persons occupying the cabin or if there is just one person in single occupancy you only get half.

Fourth, no discount is given until the OBC is used up.

If you are on Ventura or Azura you can view your account on your cabin TV. Any other ship you can go to reception and get a printout whenever you want.

Brian

The on board credit will appear on the PERSON who BOOKED the cruise account...( unless its two single passengers traveling together)

The on board credit will appear on the PERSON who BOOKED the cruise account...( unless its two single passengers traveling together)

Southwinds,

I booked a cruise for myself and my parents sharing a cabin. Their first cruise and my umpteenth.

We got £100 OBC for the cabin. £50 was allocated to my cabin account and £50 to my dad's account at the start of the cruise. We used dad's £50 to pay for something then everything else went on my account through the cruise so we could accrue the relevent level of Portunus discount. We had to keep an eye on the accounts as things were added to my dad's account when he'd not spent anything and it took a bit of hassle to get some of it removed from the account.

Fiona

No it is split between first two people in the cabin usually. When we went on Azura we got £100 OBC and it appeared as £50 OBC for the first two passengers on the booking. We then got extra OBC for booking another P&O cruise within 2 months of returning from our first cruise with them. This was £75 per person (including the children). I had concerns about whether the OBC for our children would be taken off the account at the end as my 1 and 4 year old weren't going to be signing for anything. I was told that the normal case is that person who has the OBC must spend it or lose it, but as the children were so young they just gave all the OBC to me as the lead name on the booking.

I think there is some over complication happening on this thread. Anyone in the cabin can register their credit card to pay the final bill for all occupants (or if you want each of you can register a credit card and pay for your own spend). What is important for OBC and discount purposes is who charges things to their onboard account. If there are two of you in a cabin and one of you has Portunus membership and the other one doesn't, then it makes sense for the former to charge to sign for all expenses as they'll get the discount applied (once they have spent any OBC they have). On Ventura and Azura there is interactive TV and you can see who has charged what against the onboard account for that cabin, and at the end this will all be added toghether and the total bill will be picked up by whoever registered their credit card.

There is some confusion and mixed answers from P&O as to whether the OBC has to be used by the person it is allocated to or whether it is all just knocked off the bill at the end for the cabin. Originally on Azura we were told the former but when I asked again I was told no, and hence they re-allocated the OBC for the children to me. To be safe I would make sure everyone charges sufficient to make sure they have used their OBC.

Nobody is going to lose OBC because they are not registered as the person picking up the final bill for the cabin.

i asked that same question when on Azura in September. My husband usually signs even though it is my cc that is registered. I was told that any OBC would be transferred over to my card at the end. actually we used it all anyway, but it wouldn't have mattered.

Yes, CClarke is correct and and as I said too, the obc is split equally between the first 2 people in the cabin, ie Mr A gets £50 obc and Mrs A gets £50 obc . Both names appear on the account and any unused obc from one passenger IS transferred to the other lead passnger in the cabin, on the same credit card.

If they are friends/family travelling on their own credit card in the same cabin, then ofcourse it wouldn't be transferred so best to ensure you spend all your obc as unspent obc will be lost.

Archived