Ipod touch facetime?

GeneD

I have a fourth gen ipod touch which has facetime capability. My Son has a new iphone that has facetime capability.

Can I use this facetime feature on the Summit in the online computer room?

I would like to be able to call home to my Son during our cruise in May as their is a cesarean

birth that will be taking place during our away time.

I emailed Celebrity also re this ipod touch facetime question. I hope, though, to hear from someone that actually used it on their cruise as celebrity may not even be aware of this feature..

Facetime is Wifi enabled just like Skype so if you get a connection that handles the amount data sent, you could do this. I have used an Ipad on a Princess internet connection to make phone calls over the ships internet with no problem. It just had no video (no camera). Great way to talk to anyone, anywhere. I have an Iphone 4 so I might try my Skype app on board the Solstice in three weeks, should work with all the phone capabilities turned off. To Use the phones Facetime I would have to connect first through dialing up another Iphone 4 and then turning on Facetime (the initial phone call would be expensive). Worth a try.

Cruisematic,

What did you mean by "(the initial phone call would be expensive)"

If I set up a time with my Son (to be near a computer and his iphone) and went to the Celebrity connections internet room couldn't I access the internet via facetime on my touch and talk with him and only incur the expense of connecting to the internet even while at sea?

Facetime is based on Skype-type applications and that, along with Voip, does not work well on Celebrity. The bandwidth is not enough and connections are spotty at best. Many ships block Skype-type communications because it eats up too much bandwidth. You can try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. I tried using my MacBook Air and their version of "facetime" and it never worked because the speeds were way too slow.

Right, because your Itouch is an internet device, not a phone. My IPhone 4 does facetime by first connecting through the phone and then connects to wifi (that is a cost for me if I use Facetime). But I can use the Skype app to make the call. You could use either. Hopefully the connection to the wifi can handle the streamed video without breaking up too much.

• 2 years later...
I emailed Celebrity also re this ipod touch facetime question. I hope, though, to hear from someone that actually used it on their cruise as celebrity may not even be aware of this feature..
Most, if not all, cruise ships block all calling from the ship via wi-fi but there are plenty of wi-fi options in all ports to complete calls.

It may or may not work but it will not work well for sure. Any kind of streaming is difficult when the signal needs to go 22,000 miles each way and due to the cost they may be doing compression on the data also.

Facetime is very unpredictable at the best of times. It fails very often when I try to use it. Either one user freezes, or the connection fails. It does all depend on having a first class wifi connection. I really don't think the ship would be strong enough. You would still have to pay for a wifi package which is expensive.

Really the best option if you want to use facetime is to try from a wifi point off the ship.

The very best option is to take your phone and use text messages. Text messages do not cost too much even on the ship. If you are using a smart phone don't forget to turn off data roaming or you will return to a huge bill.

Archived