Flight with 2 hr. layover only in Canada allowed with DUI conviction?

Hello, we will be traveling to Rome and our flight has a 2 hour layover in Toronto - if one of the travelers has a DUI from 4 years ago in the states will he be stopped from flying THRU toronto? We will not be leaving the airport at any point - we will just be catching a flight to Rome with Toronto being one of our layovers. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem?

The strict letter of the law now says if the offence is more than 10 years ago...no problem. Most customs officers will look the other way if it has been more than 5 years. Now what I am not sure about here is if in fact you will have to clear customs in Toronto...if not than it will not be an issue. Check with your airline on what happens in TO.

Hello, we will be traveling to Rome and our flight has a 2 hour layover in Toronto - if one of the travelers has a DUI from 4 years ago in the states will he be stopped from flying THRU toronto? We will not be leaving the airport at any point - we will just be catching a flight to Rome with Toronto being one of our layovers. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem?

The person that can tell you for sure is your Canadian Consul. Luckily Canada has a lot of Consulates in the United States; and Denver would be your closest.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/denver/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=254&menu=L

While a lot of people here will have opinions, the consul will have the correct opinion

You will be required to clear Passport control. If the DUI show up, you can be sent to immigration screening, which can be a very long wait to finish this process. This could cause you to miss your connecting flight, and the agents won't care about this.

Suggest you follow advice above from Scottbee. It is far easier to avoid Canada connections if you have a DUI.

This is a recurring question with no answer. It is almost certain there would not be a problem. I suppose there is a remote possibility of delay. But think about it. Wht would canada Border sv. care about someone staying in the airport for 2 hrs.

Archived